Drama Schools for GCSE and Post 16

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Drama Schools for GCSE and Post 16

Post by loladd33 »

Hiya all,
My DD is 14, going into year ten in the autumn and has had "the acting bug" for about 6/7 years. We are really looking into full time performing arts/drama schools. She has a lot of experience in Musical Theatre but also loves all acting!
Obviously, I'm assuming by now it is too late to apply for the autumn Year 10/11 now? Just wondering about anybody else's experiences, what you think is good, and your advice.
I also don't think we would be able to pay the fees without a scholarship, so that's another thing to consider, unfortunately.
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :D
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Drama Schools for GCSE and Post 16

Post by islandofsodor »

Are you able to pay some fees?

My daughter is on the dance course at The Hammond. They will see late applicants for their drama course & indeed I have known students be auditioned even after the academic year has begun. There are generous bursaries available but they don't cover everything. My son has to change school in September & we considered it for him but he's not the type of child who would cope with the travel/being away from home.

It is a drama course though, there is minimal dance although there is quite a bit of singing.

Tring have a Theatre Arts course but when we looked into it for dd their fees were unaffordable for us.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

You say your DD is 14 - does that mean she is in the first year of GCSE courses? If so, I would leave her until she has finished and look at applying for sixth form. My DD went to Tring but left after GCSE's. They do have a big intake into Year 10 so if you D is currently in Year 9 it might be worth contacting them regarding late entry. Scholarships may be more of an issue at such a late date though. For the GCSE years, the course the children follow is Performance Foundation which covers all areas. Once they reach the sixth form these are broken down into the individual elements so you would do the dance course, the musical theatre course, the commercial music course or the drama course. They do have scholarships and bursaries but no idea how many. Best bet is to go along to some open days of the schools you are interested in. One thing to point out is that it really is not necessary to have gone to a performing arts school in order to peruse a career in performing arts. It is very expensive and possibly worth keeping the money to fund post 18 training. My DS just went to the local school before doing his BA in Musical Theatre at Arts Ed. He just went to a local performing group outside of school.
All new to me!
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Caroline A-C wrote:You say your DD is 14 - does that mean she is in the first year of GCSE courses? If so, I would leave her until she has finished and look at applying for sixth form. My DD went to Tring but left after GCSE's. They do have a big intake into Year 10 so if you D is currently in Year 9 it might be worth contacting them regarding late entry. Scholarships may be more of an issue at such a late date though. For the GCSE years, the course the children follow is Performance Foundation which covers all areas. Once they reach the sixth form these are broken down into the individual elements so you would do the dance course, the musical theatre course, the commercial music course or the drama course. They do have scholarships and bursaries but no idea how many. Best bet is to go along to some open days of the schools you are interested in. One thing to point out is that it really is not necessary to have gone to a performing arts school in order to peruse a career in performing arts. It is very expensive and possibly worth keeping the money to fund post 18 training. My DS just went to the local school before doing his BA in Musical Theatre at Arts Ed. He just went to a local performing group outside of school.
Hi she's actually in Year 9 but has an earlier birthday. Would you say it is worth looking into more?
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

islandofsodor wrote:Are you able to pay some fees?

My daughter is on the dance course at The Hammond. They will see late applicants for their drama course & indeed I have known students be auditioned even after the academic year has begun. There are generous bursaries available but they don't cover everything. My son has to change school in September & we considered it for him but he's not the type of child who would cope with the travel/being away from home.

It is a drama course though, there is minimal dance although there is quite a bit of singing.

Tring have a Theatre Arts course but when we looked into it for dd their fees were unaffordable for us.
Hi we're looking at the Hammond as it is relatively near to us. Do you know if there are still scholarships available? Thanks :)
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

"Hi she's actually in Year 9 but has an earlier birthday. Would you say it is worth looking into more?"

I think it really is a personal choice at the end of the day as it is an expensive option. I also think that if you are looking for September 2017 entry then scholarship/bursary funding will probably have already been allocated. Maybe look at the idea again for sixth form. My DD is now doing a Performing Arts BTec at a local sixth form college. My DS did the same course there too and got into Arts Ed first time round so not sure it is worth struggling financially to put a child through a performing arts school. Perhaps part time training is the best option locally and have a look at the National Youth Theatre or holiday courses that many of the colleges do.
All new to me!
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Caroline A-C wrote:"Hi she's actually in Year 9 but has an earlier birthday. Would you say it is worth looking into more?"

I think it really is a personal choice at the end of the day as it is an expensive option. I also think that if you are looking for September 2017 entry then scholarship/bursary funding will probably have already been allocated. Maybe look at the idea again for sixth form. My DD is now doing a Performing Arts BTec at a local sixth form college. My DS did the same course there too and got into Arts Ed first time round so not sure it is worth struggling financially to put a child through a performing arts school. Perhaps part time training is the best option locally and have a look at the National Youth Theatre or holiday courses that many of the colleges do.
Thank you! All your help is massively appreciated! :D
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

If you're not far away then for sixth form there's LIPA. http://www.lipasixthformcollege.org/ It's free

I would consider my DD, who is the same age and year group applying there if we lived close enough.

Mine also is 14, in same school year and loves her acting. She's staying at her currently school for GCSE's then she'd move anyway as it doesn't have a sixth form. Then the plan is for mine to go to a college for 16-18 that she'll have to commute to to do her BTEC level 3. Some of the students from her drama group have gone/are going there. Others have continued at a Secondary school to do A levels and continued to go to their outside of school drama group.
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

lawn wrote:If you're not far away then for sixth form there's LIPA. http://www.lipasixthformcollege.org/ It's free

I would consider my DD, who is the same age and year group applying there if we lived close enough.

Mine also is 14, in same school year and loves her acting. She's staying at her currently school for GCSE's then she'd move anyway as it doesn't have a sixth form. Then the plan is for mine to go to a college for 16-18 that she'll have to commute to to do her BTEC level 3. Some of the students from her drama group have gone/are going there. Others have continued at a Secondary school to do A levels and continued to go to their outside of school drama group.
Thanks, your situation sounds similar! We are thinking along the same lines :)