London College of Music or Chichester Triple Threat

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

moleseymum
BRIT Award

Re: London College of Music or Chichester Triple Threat

Post by moleseymum »

Did your DS look at Trinity Laban? They are still accepting applications according to their website and I think qualify for student loans. Maybe look at the advanced learner loan and which colleges qualify if your DS is between 19 and 24.

My DS was in a similar situation and decided to take a year out rather than go to a college he was not 100% happy with. He saved a good chunk during that time and has just paid his final term fees of his first year which he has self funded. He will probably have to take a career development loan towards years 2 and 3 but is very happy where he is so it will be worth it.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

moleseymum wrote:Did your DS look at Trinity Laban? They are still accepting applications according to their website and I think qualify for student loans. Maybe look at the advanced learner loan and which colleges qualify if your DS is between 19 and 24.

My DS was in a similar situation and decided to take a year out rather than go to a college he was not 100% happy with. He saved a good chunk during that time and has just paid his final term fees of his first year which he has self funded. He will probably have to take a career development loan towards years 2 and 3 but is very happy where he is so it will be worth it.
I couldn't agree more with the sentiment of not compromising. If funding is an issue better to take the time and sort that and delay starting. If DC can get 40 hours a week at the minimum wage then allowing for 4 weeks holiday they can earn £14,000 in a year. Add £10,000 career development loan and you've got nearly £25,000 funding. DCs can also work weekends and holidays whilst at college to help fund living costs. Just takes hard work and dedication.
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

chivers61 wrote:I couldn't agree more with the sentiment of not compromising. If funding is an issue better to take the time and sort that and delay starting. If DC can get 40 hours a week at the minimum wage then allowing for 4 weeks holiday they can earn £14,000 in a year. Add £10,000 career development loan and you've got nearly £25,000 funding. DCs can also work weekends and holidays whilst at college to help fund living costs. Just takes hard work and dedication.
It was definitely the right decision for DS, Chichester was also one of his options and it just did not have the same feel or the number of contact hours he wanted. He would also have had to live out which would be an added expense. We are just outside of London meaning London and Surrey colleges were within a commutable distance. He chose work carefully and now has guaranteed full time work during the main college holidays on playschemes and teaches musical theatre at a local part time school at the weekend, he also acheived his first professional credit during his year out as he secured a Disneyland Paris contract which was a fun thing to do but not especially well paid! There are other students that self fund and colleges should be able to let you know how other students have managed. I cannot contribute to his fees as a single parent but he does live at home rent free. It is definitely possible to do and I am very proud that he has managed so well so far :)
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

moleseymum wrote:
chivers61 wrote:I couldn't agree more with the sentiment of not compromising. If funding is an issue better to take the time and sort that and delay starting. If DC can get 40 hours a week at the minimum wage then allowing for 4 weeks holiday they can earn £14,000 in a year. Add £10,000 career development loan and you've got nearly £25,000 funding. DCs can also work weekends and holidays whilst at college to help fund living costs. Just takes hard work and dedication.
It was definitely the right decision for DS, Chichester was also one of his options and it just did not have the same feel or the number of contact hours he wanted. He would also have had to live out which would be an added expense. We are just outside of London meaning London and Surrey colleges were within a commutable distance. He chose work carefully and now has guaranteed full time work during the main college holidays on playschemes and teaches musical theatre at a local part time school at the weekend, he also acheived his first professional credit during his year out as he secured a Disneyland Paris contract which was a fun thing to do but not especially well paid! There are other students that self fund and colleges should be able to let you know how other students have managed. I cannot contribute to his fees as a single parent but he does live at home rent free. It is definitely possible to do and I am very proud that he has managed so well so far :)
Tremendous story. Wishing DS every success, he deserves it. It does go to show what you can do if you really want something enough :).
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

DS missed out by not applying to LCM this year but it's definitely on the list for next year. Glad I spotted this thread as some really useful. Thank you
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

moleseymum wrote:Did your DS look at Trinity Laban? They are still accepting applications according to their website and I think qualify for student loans. Maybe look at the advanced learner loan and which colleges qualify if your DS is between 19 and 24.

Sorry about the delay to reply to this. No he didn't consider Trinity Laban but I think if he needed to apply again he probably would. But he's decided to make LCM his firm choice so hopefully he will be happy there.
Your son is amazing funding it himself. What grit and dedication that shows and all those attributes will really help him in the industry too. Amazing!

My DS said he would prefer not to have a gap year and to keep on going with his training. Obviously they all have to make their own decisions of what path to take. I have researched quite a lot as you can probably tell. And thanks to all the NAPM parents who have helped with that. I found out that both Chichester and LCM do Agent Showcases and definately at LCM and probably at Chi you can go on to Spotlight as a graduate and join Equity. We went to see a show at LCM and planned to also see one at Chichester too but when my DS saw the LCM one he made up his mind straight away. I'm sure the Chichester one would have been equally as good and I feel a little bad we didn't give it a fair chance. But my DS is more of and Actor Singer and that is what the course at LCM is. Apparently it was modelled on Central's Actlng with Musical Theatre course. Or the same person designed both or something like that. We were very impressed with both the singing and acting and we have high standards to compare it too with my DD being at GSA. LCM have had their Agent Showcase already and many of them got Agents with hopefully more about to after these latest shows they've just done. My DS felt it would suit him and would provide him with a good chance of getting in to the industry after graduation. Only time will tell but all our DCs are making these same decisions and you can only go on the info you have and your gut instinct.
Thanks again to everyone who commented. Good luck to everyone with their jouneys
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

You might find the thread about Equity and Spotlight of interest to you,lots of changes ahead.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

lotsolaffs wrote:You might find the thread about Equity and Spotlight of interest to you,lots of changes ahead.
Hi lotsolaffs - Yes I've seen it and I have to agree it is of concern. You could start at a place who have access to Equity and Spotlight (and that's what made you chose it) and then it could be taken away while you're studying there. I've looked at the criteria and to be honest i think there are quite a few places that will have to make big changes to fulfill it. Just got to keep everything crossed that they do