London Studio Centre

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

afab
GRAMMY Award

Re: London Studio Centre

Post by afab »

Fullmoon wrote:Thank you afab! That’s great. I really appreciate you and Lorry taking the time to ask your DD’s :D
You're welcome. Anything else you need, don't hesitate. I have 2 DDs at LSC so we can cover quite a few questions... :D
Apollo9
Nominee

Post by Apollo9 »

Hello.

I hope you can help. My DD is really keen to audition at LSC but has heard that whilst you are there, you have classes not only in the Arts Depot but other places? Could you please confirm if all classes (once you're on the course) are at the Depot or where else they may be?

Thank you.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Hello, yes they do but only about a couple of minutes walk, or run sometimes, away in between classes. It’s really not a problem...

Any other question, don’t hesitate!
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

I can't believe my eldest DD has already finished her last round of assessment at LSC!!! It feels like she was preparing to audition just yesterday... Looking back at this stressful time, I actually really miss it... Enjoy it while it lasts! So many open possibilities!
Apollo9
Nominee

Post by Apollo9 »

afab wrote:Hello, yes they do but only about a couple of minutes walk, or run sometimes, away in between classes. It’s really not a problem...

Any other question, don’t hesitate!
Thank you for this - someone had told my daughter that they were at least a tube ride away, so just wanted to check they were still very close to Arts Depot. Is this most days or just a few times a week?

Regards.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Let me ask my daughters. I’ll get back to you...
Lorry
BRIT Award

Post by Lorry »

Apollo9 My dd in her third year and as far as I’m aware the other two studios are a max 10 min walk they certainly don’t have to take public transport to get to them.
Also to add my dd only went to these a couple of times a week in first year :)
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

DD1 reckons it’s about 20% of the time the first year, maybe 30-40% the last year. It’s really not a problem. LSC is a great school...
Apollo9
Nominee

Post by Apollo9 »

afab wrote:DD1 reckons it’s about 20% of the time the first year, maybe 30-40% the last year. It’s really not a problem. LSC is a great school...
Thank you.
Benjy
Nominee

Post by Benjy »

My ds had an audition today at LSC and loved it. He really wants to do musical theatre as singing is his first love. He enjoyed today so much more than he thought though. Can anyone with sons/daughters there tell me if this is the right place for musical theatre. Thank you so much.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Hi Benjy,

It's a great place for MT. If you go to any show in the West End and look at the programme, you will find lots of alumni...

Good luck to your son!
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

afab wrote:Hi Benjy,

It's a great place for MT. If you go to any show in the West End and look at the programme, you will find lots of alumni...

Good luck to your son!
I'd never come across LSC before and I can see why people might wonder about MT there. The website is very dance focussed and MT comes across as a bit of an add on. Clearly incorrecly and a bit of a hidden gem then as it doesn't seem to be on many people's radar for MT based on posts on this forum which is a shame given the success of its alumni.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Ive always associated LSC with MT & it has a good track record.

It’s not on our radar as they only take 18 year olds.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

islandofsodor wrote:Ive always associated LSC with MT & it has a good track record.

That's good to hear. I was curious because even in posts about 18+ it is not often mentioned. But that may be a funding issue as their BA costs £14,045 and is in that group where you can only get a £6,165 loan so the top up is big. Also there is no mention of any funding for their shorter diploma courses and there is a long list of "additional costs".
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

islandofsodor wrote:Ive always associated LSC with MT & it has a good track record.

It's not true that they take only 18 years old. DD1 was 17 when she started and DD2 was 16 and they were definitely not the only ones who were under 18. They take students with either A levels or abroad equivalents or Btech for the BA Hons.

The BA Hons gets funding with Student Finance and I haven't had to pay anything extra to the school once. What they state as extra are things any student or artist will have to pay at some stage to either study, move around, eat, have auditions, etc...

I don't mean to be rude but you have to check what you post as truth or read all posts. All this has already been stated above.