Final Recall round at LAMDA

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Rhymie
BRIT Award

Final Recall round at LAMDA

Post by Rhymie »

Hi everyone,
My DS is in his 3rd year of auditioning for straight drama schools. He has a final at RWCMD, recall at RADA and a final recall at LAMDA (still has BOV Drama Centre and Guildhall 1st auditions later in April) Can anyone tell me how many are in the final recall round for LAMDA in the UK? I know there are recalls in NY next month as well but they still only have 26 places on the BA course. Just wondered what the odds actually were at the final recall stage? you know so I can torture myself *sigh*
btw, if anyone has any questions about the top 10 schools after 3 years of auditioning I can tell you pretty much everything if thats of use? :lol:
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Final Recall round at LAMDA

Post by lawn »

Hi Rhymie

Can't answer your question but wanted to say Good Luck to your DS. 3rd year of auditioning :shock: Wow! Was prepared for it taking 2 -lol. My DD (almost 14) has her heart set on applying to drama school and it would be for the straight acting courses. I don't find all that many posts about them, I see more about MT.

Has your DS done a foundation in the meantime?
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

Hi there Lawn
No he didn't do a foundation and that was deliberate. The top 8 schools are very different in their training methods actually and after talking to lots of people he decided he didn't want to end up with a foundation course for one school and then he would be unattractive to the others for a full BA. It often happens that you still don't make the BA course after a foundation.
Yes, it's the third year but in honesty very few kids get in the first year. He had a final recall that year to Drama Centre. In year 2 he had better success and progressed more but wasn't ready physically. Year 3 he took on a lot of acting work and focused on his body by getting very fit. This year he is now 20 and very much more ready. He's mature physically, fit and has hardly been off the stage so is very prepared to audition in front of an audience.
You can get lots of info on the drama school auditions from blogs some of the kids have written. Thats what I did the first year. good luck with your DD. :D
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Thank you for your informative reply Rhymie.

Some of the things I was aware of, others not. Eg I know that it's unlikely that you'll get on a course straight from school and that a foundation course doesn't act as a feeder or guarantee a place. Whether they are beneficial or not is something currently being discussed a lot on here.

I was also aware of the need for physical fitness, as it's something the principal at DD's drama school has mentioned previously.

I wasn't aware that the schools were different in training methods. However that gives me something to point out to DD about what is currently a big moan of hers. She has several different teachers with her drama group and her Secondary school and for her last Lamda exam, she had her regular teacher for most classes, then the piece was overseen by the Principal and also by a Casting Director who comes into her drama school to run occasional workshops. DD grumbled that they were all telling her different things. I shall tell her it's invaluable experience. ;)

Thanks for the tip about reading drama school audition blogs. Hadn't thought of that. Have started looking and thought I'd found an answer to your question, as someone mentioned they got through to the last round and was one of 125 auditioning at Rada, then I re-read your thread title and realised I'd got the wrong place! Hopefully someone will know for you.
Aliarts
Nominee

Post by Aliarts »

Hi Rhymie
I am new to this Forum and have found many interesting posts although mainly about MT. My DD has been applying for straight acting courses for the first time this year and she is 17. We were quite naive about it but she did lots of research and went to see productions at as many drama schools as possible to get a feel for places. She auditioned early for ArtsEd, Mountview, BSA and ALRA (would have applied for GSA but is far from their grade requirements!). After those auditions she had recalls at Mountview and BSA but declined the invitation as she was also given offers for the BA courses at ALRA and ArtsEd and wanted to go to ArtsEd above all the others she'd applied for. Your post about the 'top schools' made me think she should have carried on with auditions given her early success as this was before the application deadlines, but we had spent a lot of money on travel and accommodation by then and missing college in her A Level year was not ideal for someone who struggles academically. She was absolutely delighted to be accepted by ArtsEd who said they had a preference for younger applicants as they felt the students had built up fewer inhibitions. While part of me thinks she would love to have at least experienced auditions at LAMDA, RADA, Central, Guildhall etc, we felt the chances of a sixth-form leaver getting one of those limited places above people with more life experience and with many more applicants, would be too slim given the expense and time commitment of what could be several rounds. I guess we'll never know if that was the right decision but I know she will fit in well at ArtsEd and be very happy. The very best of luck to your DS and I hope he is successful this year!
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

Hi Allarts,
I think you did exactly the right thing and if I could have persuaded DS to audition at ArtsEd and Mountview I would have, but he was set on straight acting and both of those schools have great MT courses as well as straight. He was single minded in his audition list although he did revise it for the 3rd year knocking off those schools he just didn't like the feel of, so this year there are just 5.
Good luck for your DD I am sure she will have a fantastic time and so many offers that early is a fantastic achievement. :D