Summer School Recomendations

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Summer School Recomendations

Post by islandofsodor »

She did Bird last year. As well as host families last year for the first time as a trial they had exclusive use of a hall of residence 5 minutes walk away supervised by a graduate with support from a member of college staff, that was ideal & I believe is going to be extended this year but a lot of other similar colleges don't seem to offer this.
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

Maybe check this out too http://www.themta.co.uk/the-mta-experience/ We're offering all participants a free audition day for 2018 entry.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm sure it would be a worthwhile summer school but it is not a college that she wants to apply to.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Robin64 wrote:DD did GSA mt summer school last year but in the older age group and she really enjoyed it. If your DD is looking for a dancey one then i think bird and urdang rate highly but DD hasn't done summer schools there. She liked them both at auditions though. Could she do a different bird one than last year? Also jasmine who posts on here loves bodyworks in Cambridge so they might have a summer school? I think there might be a good Matthew Bourne based summer school...Maybe in Scotland? Can't quite recall but know i read about it in the past when looking up summer programmes. Try Bristol old Vic if she likes drama and singing.
http://www.bodyworkcompany.co.uk/childr ... r-schools/

Have a look on here xxx
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It's the same issue at Bodyworks isn't it - no accommodation.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

My DD wanted to do the Urdang course but no accommodation and although I have a host family she can stay with she'd have to get herself to the academy which is 35 minutes on the Tube - so she is now thinking of Performers as they can hopefully find accommodation with a host family nearby plus their summer course also has things going on in the evening. Wherever she decides to go I am sure it will be amazing and teach her so much. :D
Ciara.thomson
Nominee

Post by Ciara.thomson »

I did the Urdang Summer school a couple of years ago and would highly recommend it! Daily class in Ballet, Jazz and then choice of doing Dance Repotire, Musical theatre or Street Dance.

Accommodation wise theres a land lady who has an accommodation which is rents out to younger students of Urdang training and does over the Summer too.

Not sure too much about it but the girls staying there were aged 14 till 18ish and all used to travel together to Urdang and go out for meals in the evening or to see a show etc

They were given the information from Urdang itselfs so i think its definitely worth calling them as they do have local accommodation links they may be able to offer your daughter.
Dance Workshops Watford offer monthly workshops for intermediate/advanced dancers.

https://www.facebook.com/danceworkshopswatford/
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

My DD would like to do an Urdang summer school next year,perhaps a few of us could get a few of them to stay somewhere together? I would do it this year but just too much on.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Ciara.thomson wrote:I did the Urdang Summer school a couple of years ago and would highly recommend it! Daily class in Ballet, Jazz and then choice of doing Dance Repotire, Musical theatre or Street Dance.

Accommodation wise theres a land lady who has an accommodation which is rents out to younger students of Urdang training and does over the Summer too.

Not sure too much about it but the girls staying there were aged 14 till 18ish and all used to travel together to Urdang and go out for meals in the evening or to see a show etc

They were given the information from Urdang itselfs so i think its definitely worth calling them as they do have local accommodation links they may be able to offer your daughter.
Thanks for that - I did email Urdang but they said they don't have any accommodation to offer - maybe I will phone them. I thought Urdang was really good on Open Day but not sure if their Pastoral care is as good as the other colleges.
Double trouble
Nominee

Post by Double trouble »

Anyone doing Ldn studio centre summer sch ? My daughter is doing the jazz course . Never done this sch before so hoping she enjoys it x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Just thought I would update. She has decided to go to Tring this year.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote:Just thought I would update. She has decided to go to Tring this year.
Which week? If it's from 30/7 she may come across my DD who is booked on the drama course there that's running on the same dates.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

She's doing the MT week which is 6th - 11th August. It was a toss up between that or one of the dance weeks but she's gone for MT.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote:She's doing the MT week which is 6th - 11th August. It was a toss up between that or one of the dance weeks but she's gone for MT.
Ahhh. We considered that but we go to Florida for a fortnight the day after it finishes and I thought it would be too tiring all together. It's the first one my DD has done, if she enjoys it might try MT next year.
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

I have just seen this website, which might be useful? There's loads on there - but I'm not sure what they are like! There seems to be a huge mix of schools though - http://www.summer-schools.info

My DD is attending the three week course at Bodens College of Performing Arts. It's fully funded for 16-18 year olds! I don't think they offer accommodation - but it might be worth checking with them. We're fairly local, so isn't something i've had to consider.

I hear that the RADA course is good - i'm not sure about Urdang, but I know the college is great.