Summer School Recomendations

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Summer School Recomendations

Post by islandofsodor »

Ddis 15. Over the years she has done several summer schools. She started off with Hammond then in following years has done Moorland, Elmhurst & OPES for the classwork & technique. She needed more of an improve my skills than a have fun & put on a show approach.

However thoughts are now turning to college applications & getting a feel for different schools. Last year she did Bird & loved it but it was eye opening. She realised her ballet was stronger than others in her age group on the course but she needs to seriously up her game in jazz/commercial. Very useful for her. She really liked Bird.

So we are looking again this year. She's not fond of the idea of Laine, knows a few people who have done the summer course & full time college & doesn't see her self there.

She would like to visit Mountview but isn't sure what the content of their MT summer course is. The website is vague.

Similarly Tring has lots of info on location & evening activities & not much on course content/typical day.

Where else should she be considering. She looked at RCS but the course she liked the look of doesn't coincide with English holidays.

We would be grateful for any recommendations & info.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Summer School Recomendations

Post by Robin64 »

DD did GSA mt summer school last year but in the older age group and she really enjoyed it. If your DD is looking for a dancey one then i think bird and urdang rate highly but DD hasn't done summer schools there. She liked them both at auditions though. Could she do a different bird one than last year? Also jasmine who posts on here loves bodyworks in Cambridge so they might have a summer school? I think there might be a good Matthew Bourne based summer school...Maybe in Scotland? Can't quite recall but know i read about it in the past when looking up summer programmes. Try Bristol old Vic if she likes drama and singing.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

My DD used to do them at ballet cymru and they are great but ballet focused so your DD might want a more jazz one.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

She wants to start getting a feel for places she might like to apply to as many don't have open days & she is restricted as to how many she could attend in term time.

She will probably do one week of Opes again as she loves the teachers.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I've started another more specific thread on how to narrow down the choice of colleges.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

London Studio Centre is supposed to be good, and Performers too (obvs)

At Arts Ed but the post 16 course would have been more suitable than the under 16 course but DD enjoyed it

What about Rose Bruford too?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I felt that about Arts Ed. The under 16 course seemed to be very more lets have fun and create our own show/be a film star for a week, also unless I'm missing something there seems to be no accommodation option.

There is an intensive dance course which looks really good but the dates are very early in July 10th - 15th July. Considering dd will have just completed a week of 2 shows per day performances ending on the 8th July I think to travel down to London for such an intense week straight afterwards won't be a good idea.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Not sure what they are like now, but my DS had a great time at the Pineapple summer schools, both street dance and MT.
This was about 4 years ago..
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Thanks for the recommendation but I think what we are looking for is more summer schools that are run by full time colleges to give a flavour of their style of teaching & ethos.
martint
BRIT Award

Post by martint »

My DD did the pre audition course at Urdang and loved it last summer. If you DD has done several summer schools already this may be a good option. She had set her heart on Urdang until she auditioned at Laine, this is where she has accepted a place. Only down side is we will have to fund it all ourselves but hey ho!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

That looks ideal Martin.

Where did your dd stay during the course? The application form asks for details of where your child will be staying but doesn't give any details of what accommodation is available.
martint
BRIT Award

Post by martint »

islandofsodor wrote:That looks ideal Martin.

Where did your dd stay during the course? The application form asks for details of where your child will be staying but doesn't give any details of what accommodation is available.
At Urdang? I'm fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to work in London a lot so have hotel points with Radisson which always means we get the hotel for free.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Unfortunately due to work & our other child it's not possible for anyone to stay with dd & hotels won't allow a 15 year old to stay unaccompanied.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Can't help with recommendations, but was going to suggest if accommodation is a must, then cross-reference that with your other thread where you are narrowing down choices to apply to.

I've just booked my DD onto Tring drama summer school as she acts rather than dances. No idea what it will be like, but anything had to come with accommodation as we live too far away to commute and not able to take a week off work and book into a hotel together.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

islandofsodor wrote:Unfortunately due to work & our other child it's not possible for anyone to stay with dd & hotels won't allow a 15 year old to stay unaccompanied.
Do check with the colleges. I believe if you do the short courses at Bird and are below 16 they will accommodate your DC with a host family who are DBS checked so you don't need to stay with them