Query on performing arts degree costs

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: Query on performing arts degree costs

Post by jennifer1972 »

Katymac wrote:For those at Performers Open Days last week - my dauughter was dancing......but I don't know which dance she was in!!

Hope they all looked good!
How is she getting on Katymac? Is she still loving it? I bet the time is flying for her!!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

lyndahill wrote:
jennifer1972 wrote:
lyndahill wrote:I went to Performers College open day on Friday and they said that they don't do DaDa recalls - they offer places about 2 weeks after the audition and if you have applied for a DaDa at the time of applying, they will let you know at the same time as confirming place, whether a DaDa has been awarded. Much better I think as you're not left waiting for a decision. Each college gets a different amount given, may be to the size of the colleges, not sure.
Thanks for posting that. :D My DD has her audition there in Jan and as we live abroad, just to know that if successful, she wouldn't have to fly back over is great. I just assumed that they all did funding auditions. Did you find it useful going to the Open Day? What was your impression of the place?
We both thought it was a good Open Day - got to sit in on 3 classes. The college has it's own Gym, physiotherapist, which is good. The staff seemed really nice and we was very impressed by the performances that we saw at the end, including some students that only started 7 weeks ago. I think it will be on my DD's list to audition for next academic year. It is in a strange area (I thought) as no where near anything really, except houses, not that it matters as all the students are probably so tired as apparently the day is from 8-8.30am until 6.00pm and even later when you get to Year 3, you don't need to be near anything I guess. We both liked it and I talked with the Principal, one to one, she was very nice. One thing to mention is that the principal said that no DaDa awards will be given out before the end of March as they are not told how much of a por of money until early March.
Yes, I know what you mean about the area. My best friend lives within walking distance, so I have driven past it a few times, but never ventured inside. It looks like a nice, new, modern building, compared to Millenium where we were a couple of weeks ago. It will be interesting to compare the facilities.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

jennifer1972 wrote:
Katymac wrote:For those at Performers Open Days last week - my dauughter was dancing......but I don't know which dance she was in!!

Hope they all looked good!
How is she getting on Katymac? Is she still loving it? I bet the time is flying for her!!
I think I saw her in the tap class - she has a mass of lovely curls? The teacher was fab and the students did really well. We were advised at the CDET conference to go to as many Open Days as possible because the college that you rule out before seeing it could be the right one for you. We are doing 5 colleges but my DD's entrance isn't until 2018 so we have the time.
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

martint wrote:Regarding student loans for degree courses:

At some colleges you can only get a loan of £6000 but at others you can get a loan of just over £9000. Does anyone know which colleges offer which and why the difference?
The official line is that 'private institutions' can only have £6,000 borrowed towards the fees. However I don't fully understand what makes Arts Ed or Mountview a private institution while Bird and Urdang are not... All the degrees are validated by established universities but the colleges are separate and manage themselves. Anyway, I haven't looked for a couple of years, since dd started her degree, but I think:

Borrow £9,000
Bird
GSA
Urdang (but they charge £12,000+. Lots of £3,000+ bursaries to cover the difference based on audition tho)
Hammond
Trinity Laban
LCDS
NSCD

Borrow £6,000
LSC
Mountview
Arts Ed
Millenium

Hope that helps, but as I said my info may be out of date so best to check each college before applying.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks Carriecrafts, that's useful. From looking at your link about cucas I think you can use a student loan for BA Musical theatre at Royal Scottish conservatoire too but apply via cucas not ucas.
martint
BRIT Award

Post by martint »

carriecrafts wrote:
martint wrote:Regarding student loans for degree courses:

At some colleges you can only get a loan of £6000 but at others you can get a loan of just over £9000. Does anyone know which colleges offer which and why the difference?
The official line is that 'private institutions' can only have £6,000 borrowed towards the fees. However I don't fully understand what makes Arts Ed or Mountview a private institution while Bird and Urdang are not... All the degrees are validated by established universities but the colleges are separate and manage themselves. Anyway, I haven't looked for a couple of years, since dd started her degree, but I think:

Borrow £9,000
Bird
GSA
Urdang (but they charge £12,000+. Lots of £3,000+ bursaries to cover the difference based on audition tho)
Hammond
Trinity Laban
LCDS
NSCD

Borrow £6,000
LSC
Mountview
Arts Ed
Millenium

Hope that helps, but as I said my info may be out of date so best to check each college before applying.
Many thanks.
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

Just to add 3 more on the 'borrow £9000 list' are London College of Music (UCAS), Central (UCAS), and Royal Conservatoire of scotland (CUCAS)
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

She is totally loving it

We had a hiccup & temporary accommodation fro a couple of months because she had an allergy to the landladies dog - but she moves back to her 'home' down there at the end of term only 2 weeks or so!!

She has an afro - I think she was in a 3 part piece choreographed by Keeley East hanging on some sort of mesh wall :roll: :roll:

I wasn't sure if she was in Tap unless that was a class you just observed
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

This is why my DD only applied to places that she could get the £9000 student tuition loan for. Places like Arts Ed, Laine and Mountview are wonderful from what I've been told but there's absolutely no way we would have been able to afford it. Hats off to you all who have made it work. I think you're amazing. My DD was lucky and she got in to GSA which is another really good place to go and comes with the full student funding. My DS will be auditioning soon and again he will only be able to audition for student finance funded places.
The problem is. And I know I'm probably putting a bit of a downer on things, is that not everyone who trains at these places will work in the industry. There is just too much competition for jobs. We know quite a few who have trained at top places and never had a professional job. Or a very short career. And my friend is still paying off the loans she had to fund her DD when she went to a top drama school and her daughters now a mid wife. Obviously we all hope our children will be the ones that make it and I do believe everyone should follow their dreams. But also keep a realistic head on.
I feel like I'm being a party pooper - sorry
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Hi bop2thetop. Don't apologise. This forum has a good balance of realism, hope and aspiration. I've posted the same thing as you previously. We know two GSA grads who have gone on to do pretty much nothing at all. There is a whole debate to be had about training in the industry and the frankly massive volume of grads it turns out each year given the fact that some of the large colleges such as Bird and Urdang turn out over 100 a year There are zero stats available as to outcomes and employment destinations (one of the many failings of the now thankfully defunct Drama UK) so young people and parents can't make an informed choice. Very few colleges publish even their own stats. The ones that offer DaDa and SFE student fee and maintenance loans should be forever to do so as a condition of being eligible. All universities are obliged to.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Sorry, "forever" in that last sentence should have read "forced" :oops:
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

It seems to be the same in what ever they study. My oldest DD studied photography and manages a Women's clothes shop! Never got a job in the photography world.
I think far too many people go to university nowadays, it's the default. When I was at school only the top two sets of six stayed on for sixth form (years 12 and 13 for you young folk) and less than half of those went on to university (and before you ask it was a very good school :lol: ), now it seems that they expect more than half of each academic year to go on to University. This means that there are far to many graduates for what ever industry and not enough going in at the bottom.
We have an architectural practice and have taken on 16-18 year olds, give them day release and they study alongside working, so by the time they have the academic qualifications they also have at least 5 years industrial experience, no student load/debt and are far more industry ready than those who just went to university, they seem far more mature, know many more aspects of the industry and have built up contacts and gained the confidence of others in the industry.
martint
BRIT Award

Post by martint »

If they get their degree they can do a one year conversation to become a lawyer.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Agree with you francescasmum. Doesn't just apply to performing arts. Good point martint but it's an expensive way to do it :D. If you do a degree through the normal route at least the fees are fully funded and there are loans available. Very few young ones get through three years of performing arts training without them or their parents having had to find thousands of pounds up front and there isn't the luxury of paying it back at 9% of earnings over £21,000.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Thank you ibmle14 - There are graduates from all schools even the very best that haven't been able to get a job. It's a flooded market. You probably all read The Stage. Sue Elkin who writes for the stage says there are far too many graduates for the jobs available. Having said all this I know only too well that if young person wants to do it then you want to give them your full support. Just be careful it doesn't ruin you financially in the process.
I wish all schools had student funding and the money side of things wasn't a barrier ](*,)