Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by jennifer1972 »

Yes, good luck to everyone starting and a big pat on the back to all of us mums and dads who have had an exhausting and expensive year!! :lol: Looking forward to hearing how everyone gets on. DD was very nervous starting but has had the best possible start at Millennium and is loving the welcoming, family feel of the place. She, too, is exhausted, with a lot of sore muscles but can't wait for next week, when the course properly starts! Bring it on!!
Double trouble
Nominee

Post by Double trouble »

Hi Jennifer hope your daughter has wonderful time at Millennium my daughter now in 3 rd year !! It's gone so fast but she's loved her time there . :D
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Double trouble wrote:Hi Jennifer hope your daughter has wonderful time at Millennium my daughter now in 3 rd year !! It's gone so fast but she's loved her time there . :D
Ahh thank you! She said they saw the 3rd years doing a jazz class yesterday, and they were jaw-droppingly good!! \:D/
Double trouble
Nominee

Post by Double trouble »

Just asked daughter she was in that class ! The 3 years go so fast ! X
WildFrontier1
Nominee

Post by WildFrontier1 »

Brightangel wrote:Hi is there anyone out there whose DD or DS is going to Stella Mann - my DD is starting the Diploma in Sept but we haven't embarked on researching accommodation any advice welcomed
Hello. My DD may be starting there this September and it would be great to know what you think of it and any extra information you can pass on.

Thank you so much.

Regards.
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Robin64 wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:Hi everyone.
I'm new to this site, but have been scouring the pages for advice as my ds is currently going through the auditioning process. I have gleaned so much valuable information from you all, I just wish I had discovered it sooner!

DS is applying for MT at GSA (1st round audition last week, waiting to hear about recall) and has Arts ed and Mountview in April. DS is a strong singer, but struggles with dance (suspect mild dyspraxia) as well as struggling academically - so we both fully understand that he has slim chances of certainly getting into GSA. I wanted to get a feeler to what attitude is towards dancing in auditions? Has anyone's DC progressed with minimal dance experience?
Hello and welcome. There definitely seem to be courses that are less dance focused but i think it is good to show a willingness to have a go. Don't shoot me anyone but i do think it is a bit easier for boys not to be good at dance at these auditions. But i do get why that might be. What about somewhere like Central Acting MT? i think GSA prioritises singing and acting from the recall experience but academic requirements are important there. Just join in and show enthusiasm with the dance bit and if nothing happens this year book some dance lessons - basic ballet and maybe even tap. Non-dancing boys at dd's MT btec have been enjoying starting ballet and tap there and doing well at it. Fitness or gymnastics might help too. Good luck with the auditions.
I apologise as this is a post from last year, but I do find the dance question of interest and if anyone reads this in the future I just wanted to give a little ‘you can do it’ boost......with ref to dance experience.

My DS has never had a dance lesson in his life apart from what he has learnt on his Btec MT course over the last 2 years! He also had never sung until 3 years ago, at the same time as his interest in acting grew. Since then he has thrown himself into every local production possible to gain experience as his passion for MT grew.
This year, (his first year) he has auditioned for 5 drama schools along side many extremely talented and trained students and secured a recall at every one, along with 2 offers so far. I am so proud at the way he has conducted himself through the process and I have always tried to keep him aware of what he is putting himself up against as it really is brutal especially against students that have been dancing for years!
I do believe the expectations for dancing is slightly lower for boys, as boys do not seem to lean towards dance until later in years.
But I do truly believe if you have the passion and drive and want it that bad, you can make it happen!!! With hard work and keeping those feet on the ground. (Unless dancing of course !! :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

But not like that for the girls who have worked their arses off going to dance lessons every week since they were toddlers. Sweated through all the dance exams, done ballet, tap, jazz, modern and more, killed themselves going on pointe, etc etc, thrown themselves into many many shows and productions, summer schools, probably been in professional shows or panto. There are many of them and they are good or even excellent dancers but some haven't got places (even from Bird foundation where girls haven't got recalls) Sorry to sound annoyed but I get fed up of boys just getting let off not really having done it but the girls are expected to be a high standard. Yes the boys will be expected to sing and act too but the dance thing is way harder for girls. The "you can do it with no experience" won't cut it for them. Rant over and obviously congrats, nothing against your lad. Good on him. It is easier though :-)
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

...then add in the fact that no matter how good our DD’s are if their face, hair colour, height and goodness knows what else doesn’t fit their proposed ‘cast’ three years down the line.... :roll: DD has said on many occasions it would be so much easier if she’d been a boy! ;)
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Fullmoon wrote:...then add in the fact that no matter how good our DD’s are if their face, hair colour, height and goodness knows what else doesn’t fit their proposed ‘cast’ three years down the line.... :roll: DD has said on many occasions it would be so much easier if she’d been a boy! ;)
Absolutely right. DD has a friend, nice lad and really good singer but (he even admitted) terrible at dance...degree at Urdang. That just would NEVER happen for a girl.
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Robin64 wrote:But not like that for the girls who have worked their arses off going to dance lessons every week since they were toddlers. Sweated through all the dance exams, done ballet, tap, jazz, modern and more, killed themselves going on pointe, etc etc, thrown themselves into many many shows and productions, summer schools, probably been in professional shows or panto. There are many of them and they are good or even excellent dancers but some haven't got places (even from Bird foundation where girls haven't got recalls) Sorry to sound annoyed but I get fed up of boys just getting let off not really having done it but the girls are expected to be a high standard. Yes the boys will be expected to sing and act too but the dance thing is way harder for girls. The "you can do it with no experience" won't cut it for them. Rant over and obviously congrats, nothing against your lad. Good on him. It is easier though :-)
Sorry if I have caused any offence with my post! It was just literally a view from a mother of a son studying in this field, at no point did I ever suggest girls don’t have a hard time in such a competitive field, I’m fully aware of this. My DS girlfriend has also been auditioning and it is quite clear to me that boys have it easier! Believe me the amount of times those exact words have come from my lips, I'm under no illusion.
It was supposed to be a positive post....sorry :?
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Fullmoon wrote:...then add in the fact that no matter how good our DD’s are if their face, hair colour, height and goodness knows what else doesn’t fit their proposed ‘cast’ three years down the line.... :roll: DD has said on many occasions it would be so much easier if she’d been a boy! ;)
As a mum of a boy, I do feel a bit sad that everyone seems to assume that even if he gets an offer, then it was just "easy" for him. I know it is a lot eas-ier just because of numbers, but he has been amazed at the standard of some of the boys -particularly at Mountview and GSA auditions for singing and at Laine for dancing - and it hasn't been a foregone conclusion to get any offers despite a lot of hard work. There were 80 excellent boys at the Mountview recall morning and he has seen a lot more at other places.

He has struggled through his voice breaking and really had to push the singing to get himself up from a natural bass towards a tenor to be considered a realistic bet by the colleges. He has struggled in dance class when he is the only boy over 13 and all his mates are out playing football. He has been teased at secondary school for doing ballet and took a break for three years because of this until he was strong enough to withstand the peer pressure.

Yes, he does have more offers and at (so say) "better" places than his female friends but he has worked his socks off as I expect most of the DS on here have. All our DC are talented, all have worked hard and all are trying to enter a very uncertain career path. Let's support them all.
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Scarytimes wrote:
As a mum of a boy, I do feel a bit sad that everyone seems to assume that even if he gets an offer, then it was just "easy" for him. I know it is a lot eas-ier just because of numbers, but he has been amazed at the standard of some of the boys -particularly at Mountview and GSA auditions for singing and at Laine for dancing - and it hasn't been a foregone conclusion to get any offers despite a lot of hard work. There were 80 excellent boys at the Mountview recall morning and he has seen a lot more at other places.

He has struggled through his voice breaking and really had to push the singing to get himself up from a natural bass towards a tenor to be considered a realistic bet by the colleges. He has struggled in dance class when he is the only boy over 13 and all his mates are out playing football. He has been teased at secondary school for doing ballet and took a break for three years because of this until he was strong enough to withstand the peer pressure.

Yes, he does have more offers and at (so say) "better" places than his female friends but he has worked his socks off as I expect most of the DS on here have. All our DC are talented, all have worked hard and all are trying to enter a very uncertain career path. Let's support them all.

Agreed Scarytimes. It’s clearly an emotional time for us all and I only joined this site for support, positivity and advice.

I hope that everyone eventually gets the results/outcomes they wish for and have all worked so hard for regardless. X
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Don’t want this to turn into a boys v girls debate but my DS has had to work so so hard to get his dance up to a good standard - it doesn’t come as natural for some lads - especially mine who is 6ft2 and 15 stone :lol: he definitely looks more like he plays Rugby than dances, sings and acts

I also believe it’s harder for lads to be taken seriously at school for following their dream as it’s seen more as a ‘girl thing’

Anyway, as scarytimes says, they’ve all worked hard and all will get their break in the end

It’s not as black and white as ‘it’s easier for boys’ in my DS’ foundation group at Mountview only 3 boys were recalled (who were exceptional dancers) but 12 girls were recalled x
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

and I wasn't having a go at the boys or saying they had not done well to get offers (my nephew is auditioning too) but just pointing out when people say someone "has never had a dance lesson in his life" but has 5 offers that would not happen for a girl so it's not advice to take if you are an aspiring female. Anyone who has been on this forum a long time knows I am supportive of all our DCs and try and give practical help such as on housing benefit as well as discussing some of the not so easy topics such as fees and funding which I am interested in. I'm a feminist and it does bug me a bit that's all. Of course I know all the DC's have their own struggles. The forum is about debate as well as congrats and I was just putting a different point of view. No one needs to take offence and I haven't.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Believe me it’s just as frustrating for boys who have danced since the age of 6 excelling in jazz, tap and modern, and working their way up to intermediate ballet level... might as well not bother!

I agree that with the sheer numbers of girls it’s really really tough for them, DS has some incredibly talented girlfriends who have to fight for every crumb, but boys shouldn’t get a free pass, that’s just wrong! they should be at an exceptional level too, or it makes a mockery of the dedication that is shown for years.
My DS has been there, sweating and performing and sacrificing for 11 years...
To be an ok dancer, or to be an exceptional dancer quick to pick up choreography is the difference. There are plenty of males in the business now, it’s not like pre- Billy Elliot time.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE