Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by Robin64 »

riverdancefan wrote:Believe me it’s just as frustrating for boys who have danced since the age of 6 excelling in jazz, tap and modern, and working their way up to intermediate ballet level... might as well not bother!

I agree that with the sheer numbers of girls it’s really really tough for them, DS has some incredibly talented girlfriends who have to fight for every crumb, but boys shouldn’t get a free pass, that’s just wrong! they should be at an exceptional level too, or it makes a mockery of the dedication that is shown for years.
My DS has been there, sweating and performing and sacrificing for 11 years...
To be an ok dancer, or to be an exceptional dancer quick to pick up choreography is the difference. There are plenty of males in the business now, it’s not like pre- Billy Elliot time.
I agree Riverdance and yes I should include those boys that have spent years sweating the dance training too but hopefully that would really show in an audition. Believe me I am very supportive and it definitely takes guts and deserves huge credit to the lads that have put the hours in since being young. That is when they have it tough and have to be resilient (good training!)
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

My son tells me it’s called ‘penis points’ :shock: :lol:
A boy and a girl at exactly the same level in all disciplines - the boy may get the ‘yes’ because he’s a rarer find than the girl - I get what he means so I do get your point Robin x all I wanted to add was my son has worked really hard and had plenty of rejections even after foundation x
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Feel quite sad really. I’m proud, that although my DS only discovered his passion for MT age 15 he has worked and studied hard, extremely hard against people with huge experience to get to a position in which he can successfully audition against other hugely talented students and be considered. He would not have been recalled or made offers if he was not worthy of the place. He is a very talented young man (biased I know) and whether he trained from birth or not he deserves it, and I’m proud of him. Sorry if that offends. I wish everyone well x
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

Good evening everyone - I haven’t posted for a few weeks but have been following everyone’s journey and rooting for all your DCs. Thought I’d share something I wrote that my daughter found entertaining as I tried to explain to her how it feels to be the parent of a performer. Hope it strikes a chord - this forum is so full of passion I can see how it sometimes boils over - I think it’s wonderful that we can have the kind of debates that we probably couldn’t have with our non MT friends as they just don’t get it xxxx. Hope you will forgive the indulgence it is well meant.

Lord grant me the fortitude to wait calmly through all those interminable audition days and not to text DD too many times for an update (well no more than twice an hour and to only chase when there is more than a 10 minute wait for a reply)

Lord grant me the good grace to be genuinely happy for all those that get a place on DDs dream course while she sits and weeps for what might have been (and to know- really deeply know that her time will come and that we will look back on this as a time of learning and growth on the path that is hers not anyone else’s)

Lord grant me the mental strength to be able to wait with patience and balance for those dreaded audition results and to be able to keep my inner internet stalker tendencies in check - to know when it’s time to look up and see that there is a big wide beautiful world around me (well at least for the 30 minutes before it’s time the next to log on to UCAS to see if there’s been an update even though I know that nothing is going to happen for at least two weeks)

Lord grant me the good judgement to know when to speak and when to shut the heck up (and to not mind when she asks me to turn the TV down for the fourth time in a row and I end up sitting two feet away with subtitles on and bat-ears upstairs can Still hear it)

Lord grant me the fiscal capability to juggle rental payments course payments and a little bit left over for DD to eat ( and to know the difference between I need food vs I need to go to ‘spoons - as I cough up my last penny and dine at home on beans and chips)

Lord grant me the wisdom to know when to lead and when to follow - when she must stand alone and when help is truly needed and to know that she will be ok - really ok and to let go is to keep close. (Even though I’m absolutely itching to make that phone call or send that email)

Lord grant me the emotional adaptability to switch, without notice, between closest confidante to public enemy number one (and to know through some magical process which one I am at any given point and to listen without running away screaming or jumping to action) and to let her response be the measure of mine and trust her judgment to allow it to grow and build

Lord grant me the patience to be kind and balanced when her room is messy and she’s rude and careless with my feelings ..... whooooaa no no no - scrub that - enough enough .........

Lord let her know that I have her back, while not being her backbone. That I love her unconditionally but sometimes she needs to pull her socks up and I’m allowed to say so.

And that no matter what happens, wherever she goes - she always has a home wherever I am.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Beautiful and explains how we all feel perfectly x Thankyou x
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Love it. I am sure we all get it x
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

I LOVE THAT!
I could relate to so much of it O:)
I think I had a little tear
Xx
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

From personal experience with DS the hard bit for him is the mental side of pursuing MT when he is he only boy in his peer group doing so. As I mentioned in a different thread he had to change schools as he was so miserable and so isolated-he found it so hard watching his mates get accolades for sports achievements while his own in performing seemed totally unvalued. Not that he wanted the accolade but rather it was just demoralising as he felt he had to hide his dance from everyone. He’s been bullied for being a ‘boy who does ballet’ and still covers up before dance class. I’d love him to stand tall and proud and mostly he does but it’s hard when you don’t have mates around who get it. Thank god for boys associate schemes and groups like YMT and NYMT when at least the boys can be with like minded peers. I don’t want my DS to leave home at 16 but he is so desperate to be with other lads who perform. Sorry for lengthy post but I’m sure there are other parents of boys who can sympathise!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

My DS is only 13 now so I have yet to discover how auditions for training will pan out (yikes, this section of the boards is real eye-opener). I think boys have it both easier and harder. For example, DS just auditioned for a very high quality local youth production. About 40 boys auditioned and about 140 girls, for about 55 places overall. DS was successful and got a good role. Some of his very talented female friends also got accepted, but some didn't. Those girls are great dancers/singers/actors, I would say just as good as DS, but on this occasion there was so much choice for the casting team and they had to disappoint some. So yes, DS knows his sex has worked in his favour on this occasion. Then again, DS has to be so single-minded to stick at this career ambition. He gets grief for doing ballet from the football oiks at school. He does so much acting/dancing/singing he doesn't always have time to do the favoured 'boy' activities like spending hours gaming, so socially he is paying something of a price and gets left out. Yes, girls who want to succeed have to dedicate a lot of time too, but it doesn't make them social pariahs in the same way! So I think they all have a tough path to tread, which of course can bring huge rewards if they are lucky, but I don't really think either sex gets an easier ride. Appreciate though that come audition times it may seem that boys have better odds - but that's because the relatively fewer boys who apply are by definition self-selecting.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Millyweaver wrote:From personal experience with DS the hard bit for him is the mental side of pursuing MT when he is he only boy in his peer group doing so. As I mentioned in a different thread he had to change schools as he was so miserable and so isolated-he found it so hard watching his mates get accolades for sports achievements while his own in performing seemed totally unvalued. Not that he wanted the accolade but rather it was just demoralising as he felt he had to hide his dance from everyone. He’s been bullied for being a ‘boy who does ballet’ and still covers up before dance class. I’d love him to stand tall and proud and mostly he does but it’s hard when you don’t have mates around who get it. Thank god for boys associate schemes and groups like YMT and NYMT when at least the boys can be with like minded peers. I don’t want my DS to leave home at 16 but he is so desperate to be with other lads who perform. Sorry for lengthy post but I’m sure there are other parents of boys who can sympathise!
Well those footie lads should be joining in with the ballet classes!

Professional football players such as Vance Johnson and Akili Smith even attribute ballet to their overall success on the field.
Flexibility. Flexibility is very important in football despite the fact that the sport is often seen as a strength-centric activity. ...
Speed and Agility. ...
Strength. ...
Balance. ...
Mental Focus. ...
Endurance.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Sherbert wrote:My son tells me it’s called ‘penis points’ :shock: :lol:
A boy and a girl at exactly the same level in all disciplines - the boy may get the ‘yes’ because he’s a rarer find than the girl - I get what he means so I do get your point Robin x all I wanted to add was my son has worked really hard and had plenty of rejections even after foundation x
:lol: :lol:
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Boys do get it easier, no question, but through no fault of their own, the colleges make that decision to make sure that they have an adequate number of boys on their courses and statistically boys have a better chance of 'making it big'. I often see posts from all colleges congratulating their boys on their achievements, again statistically more than girls. That's just how it is. And yes, boys don't have to fit in to a certain look or image, the whole make-up or no make-up debate, the too fat, too thin, too short, too tall but the mental pressure to follow their dream must be huge. Everyone assumes they are homosexual to even be interested in MT, although hopefully times are changing and those sorts of comments and assumptions must be really hard for teenagers to cope with. It's a totally different experience for boys and girls but as parents we all go through the same, and this site is a great place to share that. We must be the proudest group of parents around!! \:D/
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Agreed Jennifer1972! It's all too easy to say this person or that has it easy for one reason or other but no one knows what any of these children male or female has gone through to pursue their dream and no one should judge their journey (although in the heat of annoyance and rejection I'm sure we can all do otherwise...) ;) Thank goodness for this forum! (Although sometimes I want to cry at the thought of actually getting to the post 16 audition point looking at these posts!).
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Millyweaver wrote:Agreed Jennifer1972! It's all too easy to say this person or that has it easy for one reason or other but no one knows what any of these children male or female has gone through to pursue their dream and no one should judge their journey (although in the heat of annoyance and rejection I'm sure we can all do otherwise...) ;) Thank goodness for this forum! (Although sometimes I want to cry at the thought of actually getting to the post 16 audition point looking at these posts!).
=D> =D> =D> So true x
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

jennifer1972 wrote:Boys do get it easier, no question, but through no fault of their own, the colleges make that decision to make sure that they have an adequate number of boys on their courses and statistically boys have a better chance of 'making it big'. I often see posts from all colleges congratulating their boys on their achievements, again statistically more than girls. That's just how it is. And yes, boys don't have to fit in to a certain look or image, the whole make-up or no make-up debate, the too fat, too thin, too short, too tall but the mental pressure to follow their dream must be huge. Everyone assumes they are homosexual to even be interested in MT, although hopefully times are changing and those sorts of comments and assumptions must be really hard for teenagers to cope with. It's a totally different experience for boys and girls but as parents we all go through the same, and this site is a great place to share that. We must be the proudest group of parents around!! \:D/

Yessssss Jennifer1972 :D :D =D>