Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by Munchpot »

Robin64 wrote: Ah thanks, it was a no from Urdang which she liked. She did think it had gone well but there you go. A friend of hers (boy) got an offer for there and he has never really done dance (and said his dance audition went terribly!) so any boys out there don't be put off! DD rather thinks that means bad news for her from Bird too but we haven't heard yet. Obviously 15 years of dance lessons may not be enough!!

It is great to get a call back though so it has lifted her spirits after the disappointment of a no.
I would tell your DD not to be disheartened. Just because she got a no at Urdang doesn't necessarily mean the same for Bird. As mentioned before my DD received a Foundation offer from Bird and yet Performers offered her the full 3 year diploma. I honestly believe every college is different and looking for different things. Just because one college says no should not be taken as a sign that they aren't good enough, they just weren't right for that college on that day.

Good luck to your DD with the reply from Bird
Danceandsing
BRIT Award

Post by Danceandsing »

I agree don't be put off. The whole process is very stressful but each college does have its own criteria. How many more auditions have you got to go Robin64?
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Robin64 wrote:If anyone has any tips on GSA recall I would be massively appreciative. Not finished auditions here yet but DD has had a no and a recall so far. Feels so difficult and such a remote chance of success. Happy for DD about recall but steeling ourselves for doing all this again next year, at least DD could earn some cash first that way. These auditions are so hard!!! (and expensive!)

btw Sorry to sound a bit despondent, it's not that I don't think DD is good enough - I think she does have potential and has put in a lot of years but there are just SO many great auditionees.

Big well done to those with it sorted, what a relief! :D
I think the first year of auditions is a learning curve, my DD auditioned two years ago and she was offered a place at a performing arts college in London, it took us ages to arrange funding DD also got a 56% bursary, DD went away, she hated the college, got injured at the college and so had to leave at the end of the first term. She has been home ever since. The eight weeks has cost us an arm and a leg. DD did learn a lot while she was away but it was an expensive 8 weeks. DD then decided to apply for degree courses with full funding through student finance, she applied very early on and had 3 of her five auditions before Christmas. She has now accepted triple threat at Chichester, we have no worries about the funding of the course and DD will get the maintenance element. We have found her a lovely studio apartment to rent (we can do this cause her offer is unconditional) so she doesn't need to go into halls. The audition process has been so relaxed this year. It has cost us around £600 in hotels and fuel but I would say this is about average. I hope your DD gets the offer she wants to start in September but if she doesn't don't stress too much. Pick your colleges or Unis carefully next time our DD only picked places where she felt she had a chance of getting in. Every Uni or college is different, this includes what they are looking for and the fees, my advice would be to not apply anywhere that you cannot afford your DD to go. This was a big mistake that we made two years ago. Three years is a long time and above all don't get into debt for your child's course it really isn't worth it. Our DD is a great singer, about average at tap, modern, jazz and ballet, she is clever academically and did very well with her exam grades. I have been looking at the employment after graduation from Chichester and it is on par with the performing arts colleges. It doesn't matter where you train there will always be graduates that don't get work as it is a cut throat business.
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

Yes kjgirl , you are so right ,try and avoid debt as it's the toughest business ever and if you work hard and stay focused you MAY just get that break ( no matter where you train ) , check out funding before as I have known a few people accepted and then couldn't afford , hearbreaking . Mountview for example ( if you don't get a DADA ) wants £9000 in fees in July for 1st and final term fees and then you have deposits for flats in London !! Good luck everyone PS Sheridan Smith didn't go to Drama School she was a member of National Youth Musical Theatre !!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Robin64 wrote:
2girlsmum wrote:Great news on your DDs recall Robin64, congratulations and well done to her for getting to the next stage, hope it goes well and I have fingers crossed for her :D
Ah thanks, it was a no from Urdang which she liked. She did think it had gone well but there you go. A friend of hers (boy) got an offer for there and he has never really done dance (and said his dance audition went terribly!) so any boys out there don't be put off! DD rather thinks that means bad news for her from Bird too but we haven't heard yet. Obviously 15 years of dance lessons may not be enough!!

It is great to get a call back though so it has lifted her spirits after the disappointment of a no.
A call back is fantastic! Fingers crossed for her!! And you are right, it is so much harder for girls!!
2girlsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2girlsmum »

DDs had to miss her Laines audition today as she was poorly last night, am hoping there are other dates still to come that they might let her swap to :(
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Danceandsing wrote:I agree don't be put off. The whole process is very stressful but each college does have its own criteria. How many more auditions have you got to go Robin64?
thanks, she has 2 more to go next month plus the call back.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

2girlsmum wrote:DDs had to miss her Laines audition today as she was poorly last night, am hoping there are other dates still to come that they might let her swap to :(
Sorry to hear that 2girlsmum, hope she gets better soon. Did you speak to someone at Laines? I'm sure she will get another date. It is horrible when they are ill and it is the voice recovery time for colds/sore throat that is the worry.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

kzgirl wrote:
Robin64 wrote:If anyone has any tips on GSA recall I would be massively appreciative. Not finished auditions here yet but DD has had a no and a recall so far. Feels so difficult and such a remote chance of success. Happy for DD about recall but steeling ourselves for doing all this again next year, at least DD could earn some cash first that way. These auditions are so hard!!! (and expensive!)

btw Sorry to sound a bit despondent, it's not that I don't think DD is good enough - I think she does have potential and has put in a lot of years but there are just SO many great auditionees.

Big well done to those with it sorted, what a relief! :D
I think the first year of auditions is a learning curve, my DD auditioned two years ago and she was offered a place at a performing arts college in London, it took us ages to arrange funding DD also got a 56% bursary, DD went away, she hated the college, got injured at the college and so had to leave at the end of the first term. She has been home ever since. The eight weeks has cost us an arm and a leg. DD did learn a lot while she was away but it was an expensive 8 weeks. DD then decided to apply for degree courses with full funding through student finance, she applied very early on and had 3 of her five auditions before Christmas. She has now accepted triple threat at Chichester, we have no worries about the funding of the course and DD will get the maintenance element. We have found her a lovely studio apartment to rent (we can do this cause her offer is unconditional) so she doesn't need to go into halls. The audition process has been so relaxed this year. It has cost us around £600 in hotels and fuel but I would say this is about average. I hope your DD gets the offer she wants to start in September but if she doesn't don't stress too much. Pick your colleges or Unis carefully next time our DD only picked places where she felt she had a chance of getting in. Every Uni or college is different, this includes what they are looking for and the fees, my advice would be to not apply anywhere that you cannot afford your DD to go. This was a big mistake that we made two years ago. Three years is a long time and above all don't get into debt for your child's course it really isn't worth it. Our DD is a great singer, about average at tap, modern, jazz and ballet, she is clever academically and did very well with her exam grades. I have been looking at the employment after graduation from Chichester and it is on par with the performing arts colleges. It doesn't matter where you train there will always be graduates that don't get work as it is a cut throat business.
Yes, you are right and funding considerations did come into where DD has applied - we went for student loan places apart from one which is really just for experience of the audition and a very outside chance...you can probably guess which one. It would only be possible with dada anyway.
2girlsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2girlsmum »

Robin64 wrote:
2girlsmum wrote:DDs had to miss her Laines audition today as she was poorly last night, am hoping there are other dates still to come that they might let her swap to :(
Sorry to hear that 2girlsmum, hope she gets better soon. Did you speak to someone at Laines? I'm sure she will get another date. It is horrible when they are ill and it is the voice recovery time for colds/sore throat that is the worry.
Thanks Robin64, I left a voicemail message for Laine's first thing to explain why she wouldn't be there this morning but with auditions all day they will all be busy so I'll call again tomorrow to see if she can re-arrange.

My DD has still not heard back from her GSA audition (which was on the same day as your DD but different venue) - which is really odd unless they contact all the recalls first then the no's.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

2girlsmum wrote:
My DD has still not heard back from her GSA audition (which was on the same day as your DD but different venue) - which is really odd unless they contact all the recalls first then the no's.
Hi 2girlsmum
From our experience the 'No's' at GSA were quickly notified through UCAS, it was the ones who were recalled that took longer. Hope your DD is better soon and that Laines will rearrange
martint
BRIT Award

Post by martint »

Hope she's better soon. Our DD had to pull out of one audition last week, she's at Laine today, fingers crossed.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Hi jasmine2 - we are considering auditiong for Bodyworks for entry 2018 this time next year when (dd will be 18) she could commute as we are 40 mins away from Cambridge although doubt she would want to. I was very impressed with how friendly, kind and professional both the students and staff were when we attended their recent open day. My dd did several workshops and was kept behind after the ballet class and offered a free audition by Kasper Cornish. This has boosted her confidence a bit as we really have no idea what we are letting ourselves in for and know how tough the competition for places is. She will also be looking at Laines, Performers, Millenium, Birds and LSC!!
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Belledancer wrote:Hi jasmine2 - we are considering auditiong for Bodyworks for entry 2018 this time next year when (dd will be 18) she could commute as we are 40 mins away from Cambridge although doubt she would want to. I was very impressed with how friendly, kind and professional both the students and staff were when we attended their recent open day. My dd did several workshops and was kept behind after the ballet class and offered a free audition by Kasper Cornish. This has boosted her confidence a bit as we really have no idea what we are letting ourselves in for and know how tough the competition for places is. She will also be looking at Laines, Performers, Millenium, Birds and LSC!!
Kasper is amazing. My DD is in her last year there and loves it...we live 40 mins away and she commutes by train (unless she is staying at her boyfriend's house !! lol) I think she sang at the open day.
It is a fabulous place, very small and personal..lots of small classes . Hard work but great results too.
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Oh no, poor her! Have you managed to change it for a different date?