Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by riverdancefan »

People will always agree or disagree, that's life
can we please not be so sensitive and fearful of offending one another,
it's a personal opinion only and spoken from experience, of course there will different experiences, that's life too.
We need to be able to debate the subject without feeling personally attacked
It's not all Kum By Ya and hugs, theres always a debate to be had and I think everyone's point is a valid one.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

riverdancefan wrote:People will always agree or disagree, that's life
it's a personal opinion only and spoken from experience, of course there will different experiences, that's life too.
It's not all Kum By Ya and hugs, theres always a debate to be had and I think everyone's point is a valid one.
Totally agree. It's a healthy debate. I am not dissing other people's kids or trying to make people "feel sad". We are adults and the performing arts world is very interesting and complex and political (small and large P). It's a forum. I have a son and daughters so I am not on one side more than another. I just sometimes want to see debate on here as well as the "well done" "nervous wait" posts. And no I don't have anything against those so don't get offended folks.
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

Robin64 wrote:
Totally agree. It's a healthy debate. I am not dissing other people's kids or trying to make people "feel sad". We are adults and the performing arts world is very interesting and complex and political (small and large P). It's a forum. I have a son and daughters so I am not on one side more than another. I just sometimes want to see debate on here as well as the "well done" "nervous wait" posts. And no I don't have anything against those so don't get offended folks.
Point taken, maybe I just need that hug.
siohip
GRAMMY Award

Post by siohip »

Good to have a debate. I think the Maths is straight forward.
There are always more male stage roles available- so entry is skewed to taking on more boys then girls into Mt and drama colleges. There are less boys than girls who perform- makes sense more places for males and statistically irregardless of who and how much work is put in, it is easier for boys to successfully audition and get a place. I think the more tricky area is "looks"- picking the person of a reserve list who most closely fits the look of the girl leaving the list. If this is indeed true? 8) It is however an industry fixated on looks- it is what it is ..and I suppose if the fit doesn't work - it may do the next time? I think it is just a very difficult pathway and getting into a college/uni is only one step along the delicious but less than easy pathway. I'd prefer our dc having a go at something they love rather than spending their lives thinking what if!!

Candaffit- sending you a virtual hug!
In fact sending everyone a hug going through this process- it is not an easy time.
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

siohip wrote:Good to have a debate. I think the Maths is straight forward.
There are always more male stage roles available- so entry is skewed to taking on more boys then girls into Mt and drama colleges. There are less boys than girls who perform- makes sense more places for males and statistically irregardless of who and how much work is put in, it is easier for boys to successfully audition and get a place. I think the more tricky area is "looks"- picking the person of a reserve list who most closely fits the look of the girl leaving the list. If this is indeed true? 8) It is however an industry fixated on looks- it is what it is ..and I suppose if the fit doesn't work - it may do the next time? I think it is just a very difficult pathway and getting into a college/uni is only one step along the delicious but less than easy pathway. I'd prefer our dc having a go at something they love rather than spending their lives thinking what if!!

Candaffit- sending you a virtual hug!
In fact sending everyone a hug going through this process- it is not an easy time.
Thanks! :lol: :lol: yes stressful and exciting times! and a lot over overthinking it from us all!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Candafitt wrote:
Robin64 wrote:
Therinsert hug emoji here ( there isn’t one so imagine I’m giving you a hug x)
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

riverdancefan wrote:
Candafitt wrote:
Robin64 wrote:
Therinsert hug emoji here ( there isn’t one so imagine I’m giving you a hug x)

:lol: :lol: ;)
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Candafitt wrote:
Robin64 wrote:
[-o< Hugs and prayers from here too! Little did you know what you started when you tried to add a positive post!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

jennifer1972 wrote:And yes, boys don't have to fit in to a certain look or image, the whole make-up or no make-up debate, the too fat, too thin, too short, too tall but the mental pressure to follow their dream must be huge. Everyone assumes they are homosexual to even be interested in MT, although hopefully times are changing and those sorts of comments and assumptions must be really hard for teenagers to cope with. It's a totally different experience for boys and girls but as parents we all go through the same, and this site is a great place to share that. We must be the proudest group of parents around!! \:D/
I often debate this with DS and he comes out of auditions - particularly male-only subsections - saying that, partly as a joke to lighten the mood, he was one of the 2-3 that weren't incredibly camp! Obviously no idea of their sexuality, but I guess there is a certain amount of playing the part if you are a boy.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Point taken, maybe I just need that hug.[/quote]

:cry: I apologise if I upset you/anybody...that was honestly not my intention :-k This forum is a godsend for us all and I love reading DC’s journies and the lively debates like this that come as part of this torturous process!! I have a beautiful (imho! :D ) DD, but she is like 1000’s of others, slim, long hair, pretty features, beautiful dancer....so, as we have discovered, trying to get yourself to stand out from the crowd is very difficult - hence my earlier comment about also having to fit their ‘cast’....this was not something we were prepared for on top of every other hoop they need jump through :roll: Well done to each and every DC with offers...and keep going those that aren’t quite there yet :D
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

DS is just about to finish his course and is already finding it is all about the "look". The world of auditioning for colleges is tough and he is already seeing that life after will be tougher still . Casting directors are using different ethnicities to cast what were stereotypically "white" roles and anyone who fitted this was whipped up really quickly ,as were the petite females and blonde ,blue eyed , tall males. I think at college auditions ,the panel is very aware that life after is this way and reject perfectly good candidates as they don't think their look will see them through. I know of a girl who when asked for feedback actually got told she was too tall . I don't think it's a matter that it is easier if you are make or female but easier if you tick other boxes.