Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by Live_thedream »

Nickinoo wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:
Nickinoo wrote:
Hello! Yes it was a morning audition. She didn't get through to the final round on the BA but wasn't expecting to. She said compared to most of the others she felt really young inexperienced but they told her that she had been flagged up by a number of staff who saw great potential in her, she just wasn't quite ready. She hasn't been to a vocational school- just amateur dramatics, classical singing lesson, school drama and dance training. She said those who really stood out in her group had all been on a foundation course somewhere.

So anyhow the good news is she was offered the MT foundation course and has chosen this over the Trinity one as she didn't have a particularly good vibe there and Mountview is more established training in terms of MT. The most amazing thing is that her two best friends from the youth music theatre group she has been involved with for the last 7 years also got offered the same course!

Fingers crossed for all others for the final Mountview recalls!
My DS didn't get through. But he said the talent was exceptionally outstanding and all that went through were solid triple threats (DS dancing needs working on). Although they were very impressed with his singing. His group were told it was very close and they had a difficulty in coming to a decision, took 1 hour longer than it should have. They were offered a free audition next year. DS also said that he felt the number of times you applied was also considered as they were asked how many times they had applied and those that got through were trying 2nd/3rd time etc.

I think being offered the Foundation is amazing and hope it gives your DS the footing she need to go further. My DS is applying for a local foundation course to improve dancing skills.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Reflection

Post by Live_thedream »

Having observed my DS go through his auditions for this year I thought I'd share my views on the audition process and ratings on how each school approaches them (in order of date). I'm sure others will have had more positive/negative experiences, but these are just our own views.

University of Chichester
Vibe 2/5: we both didn't get a great vibe about the place, but not sure if this was because the campus was so small and not much activity to see as it was the weekend.
Audition process 2/5: positive, auditionees got to showcase all singing, dancing and acting - audition lasted 3 hours. Negative: generally got the feeling that as most of the places were allocated, the process was a waste of time. DS singing audition went awful, the pianist jumped into a different key while DS was singing which totally threw him off and whilst there was acknowledgement the pianist was at fault, DS was cut short and not offered a second chance (got the feeling they had already made their mind up). Only 3 auditionees were asked to perform their monologues.
Communication 3/5: Prompt. Follow up email did say that if DS felt singing audition did not reflect his potential, that they would offer free audition to the other musical theatre course they are running. What was lacking was on the day information about life in Chichester.

Verdict - 2/5 - DS decided not to take them up on the offer. He won't be applying there next year.

GSA
Vibe 5/5 - cool is the word that comes to mind, whilst waiting for DS to complete his audition and sitting in the cafe amongst current students, I felt like was sitting amongst a whole class of TBirds. I mean this in the sense of confidence - it was oozing out from the cafeteria. It was good to see a diverse range of individuals too. Yes cool is the word, and mature. Campus was amazing.
Audition process 2/5: cut throat. My DS is a good singer, but he didn't get through the first round. Not sure if this is down to his grades or just not what they are looking for. Can't comment on the stages after as he didn't get that far. Like others have commented, is 1 hour enough considering audition fee and travel arrangements etc? I guess you can get away with it if you are GSA.
Communication 4/5: Prompt but like Chichester, considering how far some parents will have travelled (one mum I spoke to had flew in from Belgium especially!!) could they offer something more or because they are GSA it doesn't matter. I have to say, their You Tube video is really helpful and if you haven't seen it already, check it out.
Verdict - 3.5/5 - GSA is too cool for my DS, but will still reapply again next year because it's GSA!

Arts Ed
Vibe 4/5 - difficult to say as I didn't go in, but DS felt comfortable here and Chiswick is lovely
Audition process 4/5 - solid process. Dance, 1 song and 1 monologue - DS felt he got to showcase all aspects properly and wasn't merely a formality. He felt we got our money's worth. Downside is that they allocate places as they go along.
Communication 3/5 - Prompt, but nothing for parents. Their instructions for the process were detailed and helpful
Verdict - 3.5/5 - Arts Ed appear to know exactly what they are looking for, dancing and athleticism looks like is a must. DS will still apply again, after hopefully having had some dance training.

Mountview
Vibe 4/5 - ok, not the greatest building but there was a earthy vibe about the place, less daunting than GSA/Arts Ed and warmer than Chichester.
Audition process 5/5 - was the longest audition out of them all. Audition consisted of dance, 1 song and 2 monologues. They spent some time too talking to the auditionees about life at Mountview. Definitely got our money's worth. A big positive is they have one recall weekend, so make the decision in one go.
Communication 5/5 - the Q&A session was enlightening, I actually came away for the first time knowing what life would be like at stage school. I got a sense of strong ethos and values and it gave a really good impression of Mountview.
Verdict - 4.5/5 - DS, even though unsuccessful, felt Mountview is where he would want to go if he ever got the opportunity. He felt through the audition process, auditionees were made to feel comfortable. Yes it would be tough, but you'd get supported.

This was our first year in trying, and certainly an enlightening experience!! DS hasn't been successful this year, but some silver linings - I get to keep him for another year and we have grown closer though the process. His time will come
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I love this! Especially the last line.
It's a great idea to give marks like this some people will find it helpful some won't like it at all.
I wish him lots of luck,this is from a mum who hasn't even started on this gruelling episode with my DD!
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

lotsolaffs wrote:I love this! Especially the last line.
It's a great idea to give marks like this some people will find it helpful some won't like it at all.
I wish him lots of luck,this is from a mum who hasn't even started on this gruelling episode with my DD!
Glad you liked it. To be honest, I have found it fascinating looking at how different schools operate and their processes. When I first found this site, I found others' views of the process really helpful even though views differed. So after DS last audition, I needed to share my views somewhere, and what better than here, where someone else may also find it useful. We all go through it as parents, and have found this site a cathartic release to be able to communicate with like-minded others who understand better than parents of the non-thesps I know.

Thank you for your wishes, and same to you!!
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

This is so good!
Thanks so much Live_TheDream it's so interesting. I think your DS will be so much more ready next year and know what to expect. So many people audition multiple times.
My DS has his Recall for GSA on Wednesday. He's not expecting to get in because he hasn't got the grades but giving it a shot anyway
Best of luck to your DS for the future
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

bop2thetop wrote:This is so good!
Thanks so much Live_TheDream it's so interesting. I think your DS will be so much more ready next year and know what to expect. So many people audition multiple times.
My DS has his Recall for GSA on Wednesday. He's not expecting to get in because he hasn't got the grades but giving it a shot anyway
Best of luck to your DS for the future
Thank you and good luck to your DS!! He's done well to get a recall, you never know. Fingers crossed [-o<
debmag
BRIT Award

Post by debmag »

Great, informative post Live_thedream. Differing view on Chichester than my DD but good to hear different opinions because everyone is different.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Thanks, Live_theDream - that's really helpful. If we had a 'like' button on here, your post would get loads!!
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

First time posting but Live_thedream your post brought an actual tear to my eye - how lovely - we've just about finished the audition process - how draining (with nerves) it is. My DS was at the Mountview recall last Thursday and was offered foundation - he was over the moon.

I agree totally with your observations - we did Arts Ed but got a no at the first audition - it was a beautiful place - I felt like I knew nothing as we weren't allowed in lol. DS felt he wasn't 'athletic-enough looking' if that makes sense - he felt they definitely have a certain 'look'.

GSA just felt awesome - a no from there too :( DS was sick in the car on the way down #-o although he said he didn't feel it affected his audition

Trinity Laban are still open for applications/auditions so we're gonna give it a go - just to see how an audition goes with no pressure

DS loved Mountview though and has 3 friends there so looks like that's where he's heading for a year anyway...

Good luck and a big hug to your DS - you are so right - his time will come! Xx
Mummyofthree
Nominee

Post by Mummyofthree »

Finally got a email back from the Hammond regarding the BA three year musical theatre course and agents :D they must have been on Easter hold reply below :-
Our third year students do put together a showcase designed to highlight their strengths for the benefit of agents and casting directors; many of whom contact us to find out when our showcases are due to take place.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Puts my mind at rest to have found this out x
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

So we are all done. DD is 17 so this was her first year auditioning. She tried out at Arts, Laine, Mountview, GSA, Central, RCM and Guildhall.
She didn't get past first round at Mountview and Guildhall. She got a recall at GSA then no offer, recall at RCM (voice) they were very excited about her voice as she was so young but it was eventually a no, recall, then final recall at Central then no offer, recall at Arts Ed then Foundation offer and then place and DaDa offered on the spot on the day of audition late last year at Laine. She has accepted the place at Laine. All very exciting but quite daunting at the same time. Good luck to all those still waiting and well done to all with offers already!
Mumof3girls
BRIT Award

Post by Mumof3girls »

Hello all , I am also so glad I found this site it is so relieving to know others understand what your going through and wow it certainly is an experience .
I have loved reading your journeys and it seems the majority have succeeded onto some course or another which is amazing , sometimes it may take a second year of auditioning but one way or the other our children have not given up so it shows how much they really want part of this world !
I really wish my dd listened to me last year and done a couple of 'experience' auditions so this year was less daunting but never mind .......
Very quickly my dd is now 19 she is currently doing her 3 rd year at college drama and theatre studies , Her 1st and 2nd year she did dance and musical theatre .
In order of auditions
Urdang 15/02/17 , She has never been keen on Urdang didn't like the feel of it on the open day and didn't like it on audition day ( still wonder why she put it as a choice lol ) , It was her first audition very nervous but two days later got an email saying it's a no ! Not the best start !

Bird 02/03/17, Her favourite she loves it , Had a very long hard audition . A week later letter in post been put on reserve list ! ( damn what a nightmare but equally proud ).

GSA 09/03/17 , well what can I say if I'd read this forum before paying £55 I would have let her make another choice as singing is her weakest , she was adimant she wanted to go and proud of her courage and positivity , As with other people's comments really can't see how they can judge on a one hour audition but hey ho ! A few weeks later an email with a no !

25/03/17 Chichester uni , She knows of a few people that have been here past and present she loves the course but not so keen on location .
Got an email about 3 weeks later and then a letter to follow with a yes but not BA HONS MT triple threat but BA HONS MT and acting for film.

Laine 27/03/17 Now my dd wanted to audition here for experience as all others are via UCAS and I know funding would be pretty much a no no ! So after a very long day she was exhausted after she felt she did well , she liked the facilities atmosphere was a little bit wired at first , I'm guessing a lot of nervous tension was going on , so we was delighted when a letter dropped through the door saying she had been successful !!! And got a recall for dadA funding which was on 19/04/17 still awaiting news for this ?! I am absolutely gutted though because even though I've explained many of times even with some funding I really can't afford the maintence , It's so frustrating !

Last one Royal holloway uni , No audition required as already meets dance grades etc , it's a conditional offer ...... but this course is not MT it's BA HONS in drama and dance and it seems it doesn't have that agency contact in year 3 like Chichester does or other dance colleges , so although she would have chose this even over bird as she loves it there the course is putting her off, Her teacher went there and highly recommends it .

So that's it really do have a dilemma as she doesn't want a gap year hence her age , She is really hoping to find out about bird reserve list once all auditions have taken place but that seems such a long time away yet .
Good luck to everyone else sorry for long post but really enjoyed reading others so good to see other peoples journeys .
Best of luck and look forward to reading about more successes:)
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Mumof3girls wrote: Bird 02/03/17, Her favourite she loves it , Had a very long hard audition . A week later letter in post been put on reserve list ! ( damn what a nightmare but equally proud ).

So that's it really do have a dilemma as she doesn't want a gap year hence her age , She is really hoping to find out about bird reserve list once all auditions have taken place but that seems such a long time away yet .
Good luck to everyone else sorry for long post but really enjoyed reading others so good to see other peoples journeys .
Best of luck and look forward to reading about more successes:)
Well done for the offer she has received. I understand there's a lot of movement at Bird with the reserve list once the DADA's have been awarded, as people who have offers from more than one place take up their first choice. I've heard of some people who were offered places at the Start and middle of August!

Good luck!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

We have just had the uniform list through from Millennium, what a lot of stuff!! :roll: Is dance direct the best place to start and are there any dancewear shops in or around London that anyone would recommend? It suddenly seems very real!! I don't know who is more excited, me or her!! :lol:
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Did millennium not suggest a website to obtain the uniform from. When my daughter went to performing arts college in 2015 I spent around £450 on her uniform and dance shoes.