Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by kzgirl »

Hi Debmag

Your daughter has some good offers is she not taking one of them. Your DD has done incredibly well.
debmag
BRIT Award

Post by debmag »

Yes Beanie-bean it is very stressful & difficult financially but to be honest I've quite enjoyed it. DD has also got a lot out of the auditions process too & it has helped her confidence wise.

Kzgirl, she's thinking of taking a gap year. When she chose her ucas options she chose places she thought she'd be able to get into like uni of lancs & Wolverhampton & then Chi uni as she'd heard good things about them, The Hammond because of it rep although she didn't think she'd be good enough to get in! GSA for the experience because she thought she'd have no chance. Now I think she's regretting some of her choices & realises that she is good enough for places like Bird which she wouldn't apply for before! It's a rollercoaster!!!
debmag
BRIT Award

Post by debmag »

Also after declining the offer from Emil Dale & not hearing back from them I had a phone call from them today offering a larger scholarship because she scored highly in all disciplines which was lovely. Still don't think it's financially 'doable' though ](*,) so maybe a gap year would be a good option to raise some funds!
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

debmag wrote:Also after declining the offer from Emil Dale & not hearing back from them I had a phone call from them today offering a larger scholarship because she scored highly in all disciplines which was lovely. Still don't think it's financially 'doable' though ](*,) so maybe a gap year would be a good option to raise some funds!
wow she must have made a great impression on them..maybe another call to them might help :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

debmag wrote:Yes Beanie-bean it is very stressful & difficult financially but to be honest I've quite enjoyed it. DD has also got a lot out of the auditions process too & it has helped her confidence wise.

Kzgirl, she's thinking of taking a gap year. When she chose her ucas options she chose places she thought she'd be able to get into like uni of lancs & Wolverhampton & then Chi uni as she'd heard good things about them, The Hammond because of it rep although she didn't think she'd be good enough to get in! GSA for the experience because she thought she'd have no chance. Now I think she's regretting some of her choices & realises that she is good enough for places like Bird which she wouldn't apply for before! It's a rollercoaster!!!
Hi debmag. What a story and what a dilemma! With a couple of exceptions it does sound like she's under pitched herself which is a nice feeling but frustrating. That said there are no guarantees on success or funding for next year but I would say that if she's set on a career in the industry then she needs to go where she will get a minimum of 30/35 hours a week of solid contact time and training.
Nickinoo
BRIT Award

Post by Nickinoo »

DD off to Mountview for her recall audition today. Alarm didn't go off so it was a bit of a panic! She got up and out in 15 mins flat!
Fortunately she had chosen a wildly early train and the next one should still get her there in plenty of time!
Last audition of the year. She is doubtful she will get any where this year as still very young but very pleased to have got some great recalls this year giving her the idea that she is not wasting her time trying to get into this business!

She would be happy with a foundation there but if not then she has the Trinity foundation already offered so somewhere to go for September.

Good luck to all the others with their recalls at Mountview today and tomorrow. x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Nickinoo wrote:DD off to Mountview for her recall audition today. Alarm didn't go off so it was a bit of a panic! She got up and out in 15 mins flat!
Fortunately she had chosen a wildly early train and the next one should still get her there in plenty of time!
Last audition of the year. She is doubtful she will get any where this year as still very young but very pleased to have got some great recalls this year giving her the idea that she is not wasting her time trying to get into this business!

She would be happy with a foundation there but if not then she has the Trinity foundation already offered so somewhere to go for September.

Good luck to all the others with their recalls at Mountview today and tomorrow. x
Good luck for the recall. At least getting up and out in 15 minutes shows that she'll be able to cope with quick changes :D
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Nickinoo wrote:DD off to Mountview for her recall audition today. Alarm didn't go off so it was a bit of a panic! She got up and out in 15 mins flat!

Good luck to your DD! Is it a morning audition? My DS there in afternoon. Been somewhat of a whirlwind. He had his audition last week and based on no success at other auditions was treating this one as a formality. But low and behold, he got a recall. Issue was recall was clashing with our holiday in cornwall! Had to cut his stay short and get him train back to home yesterday so he could travel to London today. Then panic due to trains to Euston being cancelled yesterday due to fire - we thought he won't make it - but looks like they are back on.

Obviously the preference is to get a place but to have even made it to the recall we consider a success - as you say Nickynoo it gives you some belief that you are not wasting time.

Best of luck to her and all round!
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

debmag wrote:Also after declining the offer from Emil Dale & not hearing back from them I had a phone call from them today offering a larger scholarship because she scored highly in all disciplines which was lovely. Still don't think it's financially 'doable' though ](*,) so maybe a gap year would be a good option to raise some funds!
By the sounds of it she has the ability to get into a really good place where she has a better chance in getting success after completing her course. Might be worth the wait. It is a shame about Emil Dale though - I was looking it up following a recommendation from another parent and it does look impressive!
debmag
BRIT Award

Post by debmag »

Wow good luck to DC's who have recalls at Mountview today, exciting times =D>

We have another lifeline from EDA & im keeping everything crossed that we can sort something out somehow. DD loved the place & the staff & she said Emil himself was lovely, I actually haven't come across a bad word about them really so worth having a look at if you can find it, that's the crux really, we didn't look into the financial side of it 1st ](*,)
debmag
BRIT Award

Post by debmag »

*fund*
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

My dd is/was at the recall at Mountview this morning too! Not heard anything as yet...... Good luck all! (She is also a current 6th form student at EDA and it is an amazing place!) x
Nickinoo
BRIT Award

Post by Nickinoo »

Live_thedream wrote:

Good luck to your DD! Is it a morning audition? My DS there in afternoon. Been somewhat of a whirlwind. He had his audition last week and based on no success at other auditions was treating this one as a formality. But low and behold, he got a recall. Issue was recall was clashing with our holiday in cornwall! Had to cut his stay short and get him train back to home yesterday so he could travel to London today. Then panic due to trains to Euston being cancelled yesterday due to fire - we thought he won't make it - but looks like they are back on.

Obviously the preference is to get a place but to have even made it to the recall we consider a success - as you say Nickynoo it gives you some belief that you are not wasting time.

Best of luck to her and all round!
Hello! Yes it was a morning audition. She didn't get through to the final round on the BA but wasn't expecting to. She said compared to most of the others she felt really young inexperienced but they told her that she had been flagged up by a number of staff who saw great potential in her, she just wasn't quite ready. She hasn't been to a vocational school- just amateur dramatics, classical singing lesson, school drama and dance training. She said those who really stood out in her group had all been on a foundation course somewhere.

So anyhow the good news is she was offered the MT foundation course and has chosen this over the Trinity one as she didn't have a particularly good vibe there and Mountview is more established training in terms of MT. The most amazing thing is that her two best friends from the youth music theatre group she has been involved with for the last 7 years also got offered the same course!

Fingers crossed for all others for the final Mountview recalls!
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Hi nickinoo,
My dd was also flagged and offered the foundation! She also said that a lot were older and in their 2nd and 3rd year of applying, not 100% sure what she will decide as yet as a couple of other options to consider but it is highest on the list! Well done to your dd :)
Nickinoo
BRIT Award

Post by Nickinoo »

missmoneypenny wrote:Hi nickinoo,
My dd was also flagged and offered the foundation! She also said that a lot were older and in their 2nd and 3rd year of applying, not 100% sure what she will decide as yet as a couple of other options to consider but it is highest on the list! Well done to your dd :)
Well done to your DD! Maybe they will see one another in August!