Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by lbm1e14 »

Picking up on a few of the topics above.

Bird fill their places from the reserve list from roughly June onwards. We know of students who were offered a place off the waiting list in the first week of term a couple of years ago! So it can be a long wait. Causes problems if you're holding offers and Bird is your preference. But they will tell you where you are on the list and how far down they have gone.

Totally agree with the sentiments about equality of access. It remains a fact that funding is a block to so many talented young ones. As this forum demonstrates it is also a big factor in which colleges we can afford to send our DCs to and that is wrong. The whole system is a mess.
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Last year DD successfully auditioned at Millennium, Bird and Urdang (currently at Urdang on degree) and I'm very happy to answer questions about the auditions and schools if needed!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

martint wrote:DD now on the reserve list for degree course at Bird.

Does anyone know what the chances are of actually getting a place?

We don't find out until probably the beginning of July so I'm a little worried about getting accommodation etc sorted if she gets a place - although it would be a lovely problem to have!

She's still got an audition at Laine to go and has the Foundation Offer at Urdang if all else fails so I guess we may be less stressed than some others at the moment.
Good luck! I hope she gets what she wants. Bird seem to be the late ones with regards to sorting reserve lists out if previous threads are anything to go on but if that's the one she wants you have to hang in there!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

kzgirl wrote:DD finished her auditions last month and has now had all her offers, she has chosen to attend Chichester University on the triple threat musical theatre course (unconditional offer). Waiting for student finance to open so she can apply and we have just found her a brand new studio apartment to rent 5 minutes walk from the campus. Initially DD was going into halls but after finding these apartments she has decided not to. The course at Chichester for the triple threat will suit DD and hopefully she will come out with a good degree. DD decided this year to apply early and had most of her auditions before Christmas, we feel this was a wise decision as when she applied 2 years ago it was rather late and places had been filled by previous auditions. I am so glad DD is now sorted and the funding will be available for her to go. Finances were a big issue as to where DD applied but it all worked out in the end. Good luck to all your sons and daughters, if anyone else is starting at Chichester in September 2017 you are very welcome to contact me and maybe our siblings can get to know each other before starting via face book or something.
Well done to her! It's lovely to have it all sorted, isn't it? Roll on September. DD has decided that Millenium's degree offer is the one she is going to accept. We have handed back her Evolution foundation offer and the diploma offer from Bird. Just got to let Performers know that she won't be accepting their diploma offer and then we are done.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Thank you jennifer1972.

Good luck to your daughter at Millenium. Is your daughter's course funded through student finance.
Last edited by kzgirl on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2girlsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2girlsmum »

jennifer1972 wrote:
kzgirl wrote:DD finished her auditions last month and has now had all her offers, she has chosen to attend Chichester University on the triple threat musical theatre course (unconditional offer). Waiting for student finance to open so she can apply and we have just found her a brand new studio apartment to rent 5 minutes walk from the campus. Initially DD was going into halls but after finding these apartments she has decided not to. The course at Chichester for the triple threat will suit DD and hopefully she will come out with a good degree. DD decided this year to apply early and had most of her auditions before Christmas, we feel this was a wise decision as when she applied 2 years ago it was rather late and places had been filled by previous auditions. I am so glad DD is now sorted and the funding will be available for her to go. Finances were a big issue as to where DD applied but it all worked out in the end. Good luck to all your sons and daughters, if anyone else is starting at Chichester in September 2017 you are very welcome to contact me and maybe our siblings can get to know each other before starting via face book or something.
Well done to her! It's lovely to have it all sorted, isn't it? Roll on September. DD has decided that Millenium's degree offer is the one she is going to accept. We have handed back her Evolution foundation offer and the diploma offer from Bird. Just got to let Performers know that she won't be accepting their diploma offer and then we are done.
Congratulations to your DD Jennifer1972, what a great position to be in, choosing between offers. At least you can now start making her plans for September. =D>
Double trouble
Nominee

Post by Double trouble »

Hi Jennifer my daughter is in 2nd yr at Millennium if u have any questions . She is very happy there best of luck to your daughter .
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Double trouble wrote:Hi Jennifer my daughter is in 2nd yr at Millennium if u have any questions . She is very happy there best of luck to your daughter .
Thank you so much. Is she on the degree or diploma? At the audition day the students said that there was hardly any difference between the two courses. I'd like to know if they have to buy a lot of uniform at the beginning of the course.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

2girlsmum wrote:
jennifer1972 wrote:
Congratulations to your DD Jennifer1972, what a great position to be in, choosing between offers. At least you can now start making her plans for September. =D>
Thank you! Yes, I keep reminding her how lucky she is and for my sanity I'm glad that the audition part is over and we can start thinking about how it's all going to work out in September. I know a lot of people are kept hanging on until the summer and that must just be so stressful!!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

kzgirl wrote:Thank you jennifer1972.

Good luck to your daughter at Millenium. Is your daughter's course funded through student finance.
Yes it is. We can get £6000 of the £9000 fees through student loan and hopefully apply for maintenance loan too. We will have to make up the shortfall of £3000 ourselves so we have started putting some money away for that!
Double trouble
Nominee

Post by Double trouble »

Hi Jennifer my daughter is on diploma and on dance course . They don't wear a uniform as such it's mainly black leotards for ballet and as far as I remember any colour leotard for other dance classes !! And the normal dance shoes etc !! Happy to help x
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

WOW well done to everyone on their offers so far..
Anyone starting Bodyworks in September?
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

If anyone has any tips on GSA recall I would be massively appreciative. Not finished auditions here yet but DD has had a no and a recall so far. Feels so difficult and such a remote chance of success. Happy for DD about recall but steeling ourselves for doing all this again next year, at least DD could earn some cash first that way. These auditions are so hard!!! (and expensive!)

btw Sorry to sound a bit despondent, it's not that I don't think DD is good enough - I think she does have potential and has put in a lot of years but there are just SO many great auditionees.

Big well done to those with it sorted, what a relief! :D
2girlsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2girlsmum »

Great news on your DDs recall Robin64, congratulations and well done to her for getting to the next stage, hope it goes well and I have fingers crossed for her :D
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

2girlsmum wrote:Great news on your DDs recall Robin64, congratulations and well done to her for getting to the next stage, hope it goes well and I have fingers crossed for her :D
Ah thanks, it was a no from Urdang which she liked. She did think it had gone well but there you go. A friend of hers (boy) got an offer for there and he has never really done dance (and said his dance audition went terribly!) so any boys out there don't be put off! DD rather thinks that means bad news for her from Bird too but we haven't heard yet. Obviously 15 years of dance lessons may not be enough!!

It is great to get a call back though so it has lifted her spirits after the disappointment of a no.