Housing Benefit while studying

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Housing Benefit while studying

Post by It's Showtime »

I have searched all threads and read etc.. Any latest updates.... or success for courses that are not funded by student loans / no dada etc.../ no maintenance loans - . For DC s to get housing benefit for accommodation miles away from home? Difficult if they have no income ... Does it still depend on the local authority & do you have to apply to the authority you are going to be living in? My local council had no idea! ](*,)
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
soda
BRIT Award

Re: Housing Benefit while studying

Post by soda »

Hi,
Dd will be doing the ArtsEd MT foundation in September. I called the local council to ask about HB and the helpful chap I spoke to seemed to think she MAY be entitled.
I volunteer at the CAB and found this reference, which may be useful to quote,
CPAG, chapter 42, p875
Full-time students entitled to housing benefit
You can qualify for HB if
You are under 21, not following a course of higher education ( higher education includes degree courses, teacher training, HND, HNC and postgraduate courses).

I think for foundation courses, it ought to be clear cut, no qualifications are required and no award is given at the end of the course.

The council will need proof that you are supporting your child ie a letter and copy of his/her bank statement and you need to make sure that any savings they have are less than £6k or a taper will apply.

Hope that helps.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Thank you Soda! Most useful. Guess I need to contact the council DS will be studying in? I'll get him onto it today!
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
soda
BRIT Award

Post by soda »

It's Showtime,
Good luck, where is he going to be studying?
Dd is looking for somewhere to live with a few others from her course, she won't be able to apply for HB until she has a tenancy agreement. Her course starts on 9th September but I won't be surprised if we have to take a tenancy starting in August.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Appreciate all advice thank you! :D
Last edited by It's Showtime on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

As Soda says you apply to the council where they are studying and it is assessed on the students income and savings rather than parental. But it does depend very much on the level of the course. As far as I am aware, a foundation course qualifies but any form of higher education course does not, even if the particular college does not get any DADAs or if you are wanting to accept a place but were not awarded a DADA. The world of diplomas and other qualifications is so complicated though, that you might find the council allow it anyway.

And soda - hopefully you should be fine with a tenancy starting September. For my DC, as students, contracts for housing have always run 1st Sept to 31st July, regardless of the landlord. Though it is not London where it might be a 12 month period.