RADA Foundation- or Rose Bruford for drama?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Essyol
Nominee

RADA Foundation- or Rose Bruford for drama?

Post by Essyol »

I'd love some views from the drama parents out there. My DD has auditioned for pure acting at all the usual acting schools. She is in A level year so just 18

She had done well. Offer from Guildford, and Rose Bruford to do 3 year acting. Then an offer from RADA for their Foundation acting course

We are not an acting family! And I'm struggling to know how to guide her thinking.

Which would you recommend?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Re: RADA Foundation- or Rose Bruford for drama?

Post by oscar »

Wow !!! That's really impressive. GSA is an amazing place and I know Bruford has a good reputation . Getting a foundation at RADA is also a huge deal. Well done indeed. When auditioning ds was told at the GSA audition to let the school pick you ,as they know what they are looking for and take the offers you have . Whilst I think foundations are great, they are there to help you gain a place at drama school. Your dd has already done that and at some of the best in the country. She may be successful at RADA next year, but I dare say they will only be able to accept a certain percentage of students from their foundation, otherwise it could be deemed a feeder course. Good luck with your decision .
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I could not advise on GSA or Rose Bruford for which would be better or has a better reputation. I know they are both good schools with good reputations. Perhaps it is worth looking at some graduate destinations for what most matches your DDs aspirations and consider obviously which she feels more at home in as well as practical considerations like accommodation, travel etc. I firmly believe in a bit of gut instinct for where they feel most at home as I think that helps them get the most out of the course.

I deliberately have not mentioned the foundation offer. This is because I agree with Oscar, that foundation courses are aimed at getting you to drama school for when a school feels you are not quite ready perhaps. But your DD has already got 2 offers from schools that believe in her. There is no guarantee that if she took the foundation course she would get a place at RADA next year (it is not a feeder course) or indeed offers for anywhere else. Each year you are competing for a place and there are more applicants than places and circumstances will therefore be different another year. Personally, since you have offers from two very good schools, I would accept one of them.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Definitely not the foundation course. :)

My ds went to RADA ( 3 year course) - it's a wonderful school - but foundation courses (wherever they are ) are an expensive way to get extra experience.

The other schools clearly think she's ready now.

In hindsight, DS says he felt he would have benefited from a gap year ( he went at 18 and was one of the youngest ) but the school clearly felt he was ready.

If her heart is set on RADA then I'd recommend reapplying next year. The other schools are great schools though.

Congratulations to her. :)
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

I agree with pg - my dd auditioned for the big drama schools and was offered a prelim/foundation at Guildhall - she auditioned again after this and was incredibly happy to be offered a place there, but she was the only student on the prelim that was offered a place - so those are slim odds to play with. Also, foundation courses are really very expensive. I would go for the 3 year course as next year could be a different story. My personal leaning would be to GSA but she needs to go with the one that felt right. Very well done to her!
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

I would also go for either Rose Bruford or GSA as a foundation is no guarantee (although RADA is tempting). I do know someone who has done well from the Arts Ed Foundation, but have heard today that he is the only one to get a place at GSA, with only 5 of them being offered the Arts Ed BA. Not sure how many are on the course.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

I spoke to my dd about this today and her advice was firstly to go for what felt most right, but she said that all the drama schools have just done a Sam Wanamaker series of shows where each school do a piece and she said one of the best (after Guildhall of course, but she couldn't really say different haha ;) was Rose Bruford - which really surprised her as she didn't really know much about them, and one of the guys who helped to run it said that that was the school he was most impressed with, for their performance and for the attitude of the students - so definitely worth considering :)
Essyol
Nominee

Post by Essyol »

Wow thank you all for your very useful (and consistent) comments and perspectives. She's leaning towards the foundation. I think she feels Guildford being non london puts it out of the running for her. Rose bruford she liked a lot. She's still got Lamda in the go. All would be resolved if she got a BA offer from them! Ill let you know what she decided
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

While on subject (loosely) of Foundation , has anyone had any experience of Drama Centre foundation what's it like and success in getting onto a BA course at any of the 'top 10' drama schools. I'd also ask the same about E15 & Rose Bruford too. I know Drama Centre is 30 weeks as opposed to 20 weeks that some offer with additional central London accom costs. But just interested ... Lots going on! Many thanks.
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
Essyol
Nominee

Post by Essyol »

She went for the RADA foundation. Ill come back in a year and let you know if I think it was the right decision :o
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

It's Showtime wrote:While on subject (loosely) of Foundation , has anyone had any experience of Drama Centre foundation what's it like and success in getting onto a BA course at any of the 'top 10' drama schools. I'd also ask the same about E15 & Rose Bruford too. I know Drama Centre is 30 weeks as opposed to 20 weeks that some offer with additional central London accom costs. But just interested ... Lots going on! Many thanks.
I have sent you a message re this (loosely anyway ;) It's Showtime
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Thank you for all the PMs recd. Most useful. Appreciate time taken to give your views.Good luck to everyone. :D and congrats to you DD essyol. All those offers-amazing! =D>
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**