Children working professionally whilst at vocational school

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Children working professionally whilst at vocational school

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Hi

A query for you more experienced folk out there. DS has been to a Sylvia Young holiday course and now has it in his head that he would like to go away to school at 11 (we are a few years off having to make any such choice but I'm gathering information). He has an agent and has done various short films and TV commercials over the last year or so, but is desperate to do more musical theatre stuff too. He is working on his dance, but is much stronger in drama and singing at the moment, but it's early days.

So, the question is - I can see that at Sylvia Young they all join the agency and being chaperoned to auditions and jobs is very much part of the thing, but what about the others? DS is strong academically and loved Tring when he looked round - I thought it looked amazing too, but does being outside the magic M25 zone mean he couldn't audition for things, and would it be frowned upon to work professionally in any event? There seems no mention of it on the website, and I didn't think to ask at the time.

Any experiences? We haven't come to a conclusion on going away to school vs staying out and accessing all the local opportunities, so I'm just tapping into your knowledge and opinion bank! Thanks in advance. X
Humph
GRAMMY Award

Re: Children working professionally whilst at vocational sch

Post by Humph »

We visited Tring last week & asked about auditions - the principle said majority of students don't but if it was for something exceptional they support .
If you want to attend lots Sylvia's or Contis is best
Hope that helps we are looking at Arts Ed next week

Best wishes
Nicola
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

At Sylvia Youngs the students have to keep up with the academic side of school too. If the students have professional jobs then they have to catch up with the academic lessons missed. They are very strict on this. The academic side is excellent at SY and they get fabulous results in the GCSE exams. I am sure that Contis is the same. Have you looked at Redroofs or Barbara Speake Theatre schools?

DD loved SY and did very very well in her GCSEs when she was there.

Good luck with choosing the right school. :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Thanks Humph, that's helpful to know.

Redroofs looks lovely jasmine, but is it day pupils only? We are too far away from any of the schools so if it were to happen he would need to board. i am baffled at the prospect but he seems completely unswervingly motivated and excited..

One other thing... There seem to be lots more girls than boys on all the publicity materials. I know this is generally the case - he is the only boy in his dance and MT classes at the moment - but what are the ratios like in reality? As the schools are relatively small anyway would there be very few boys?
Shabby
BRIT Award

Post by Shabby »

Hi at Redroofs they can stay with a host family in the week and home at weekends (same as Sylvia's I think). Best of both worlds then. We looked at most vocational schools and Redroofs was at the top of the list for my dd. I think the children get an instinct of what's right for them. X
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

No advice, but watching with interest as DS has made tentative noises about SYTS for secondary. Like you, we are a couple of years off any decision (and who knows if his interest will be sustained that long) but I'm struggling to know how to gauge whether it would be the right decision.

I can see the advantages of the vocational curriculum for a very committed child, and chaperones for auditions and performances would be a definite plus as I have other DC to consider. I can also see that it would be a plus for a child who is working a lot to be at a secondary school that is used to accommodating this. The academic side of it worries me though, not so much the standard as the implications of fewer subject choices (e.g. only one MFL on offer at SYTS, fewer science options) and the need to go elsewhere at 16+. What about children who change their mind about a performing career or who want to go to a school with more academic options for 6th form?

Fortunately we are in London so don't have to consider the boarding aspect. DS is doing a SYTS holiday course at Easter so will see what his impressions are after that.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

DD goes to Tring and there are a number of children in Westend shows. DD has done several days filming and not had a problem with permission. Tring do not have an agency so you would have to deal with that side of things independently which can be a bit of an complicated when boarding at Tring as they do not take children or chaperone them to auditions. I believe that it is up to the parents to take children to the theatre they are performing at and return them to school. Not sure whether short films and commercials would be classed as exceptional though. Best bet would be to ring the school and have a chat with them.
All new to me!
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Fredabloggs my DS is doing the SY Easter course too so maybe see you there?!

Very similar musings in our house re A levels, breadth of choice etc, plus at what point do you accept this 'hobby' has taken over to the point of directing major life choices. However it is wonderful to have a child who is loving what they are doing so much!
Dancingboy
BRIT Award

Re: Children working professionally whilst at vocational school

Post by Dancingboy »

My DS went to Barbara Speake for 7 years and loved it. They can chaperone the kids and they have a fabulous reputation. My ds also had a fantastic education coming away on target for all A*plus and the vocational side is brilliant, offering tap, jazz, ballet, street and contemporary. The school in my opinion is up there with Sylvia, Conti and has been given the God Schools guide twice.
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Interesting thread. We had the same - did lots of amazing holidays weeks at SY and went to view the school but ultimately DS decided there were not enough subject choices for him - he was very clear about it so it was ultimately an easy decision
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Another question for those in the know...

If DCs go to SY or other theatre schools which have their own agencies do they have to join that agency to carry on working whilst at the school? DS has a lovely agent who we would be loathe to part from so just wondering if you can stick with own representation, and if so how it would then work with castings, chaperoning, jobs etc...

Not quite at voc school stage yet but getting closer...
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Yes, they would have to join Sylvia's agency