Audition Songs!!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

moleseymum
BRIT Award

Re: Audition Songs!!

Post by moleseymum »

Surrey also have a performing arts library. It is in Dorking within Denbies Wine Estate, so makes for a giod day out! But if you know what it is you want you can make a reservation to have the item sent to your local library, can be returned at any library in the borough as well.
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Thanks all so much for your replies and suggestions, we've had alot of songs and shows to listen through over the weekend which has been really usefull! bop2thetop, DD LOVES The Life I Never Led from Sister act and has been singing it around the house all weekend - you may have saved the day so a very big thank you :D DD is probably best described as a mezzo soprano, and although she suits both ballads and upbeat she is looking for an unbeat contemporary at the moment as she already has a contemporary ballad (When I Look at You - Scarlett Pimpernel)
Yes i agree Welsh Mum, very usefull advice! DD has about 5 songs in a folder she is audition comfortable with, it's just this last upbeat contemporary which is missing from her repetoire now! :D
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

That's good to know dancingmoll \:D/ My DD loves that one too. Good luck to your DD with her auditions. Please let us know how she gets on
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Katymac wrote:DD sang an Andrew Lloyd Webber & a Disney last year against everyone's advise - but it worked well for her voice

There are lots of lists on line suggesting songs to sing or not to sing
Kaymac just out of curiously, which ALW and Disney songs did your DD sing for her auditions?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Xx
Last edited by oscar on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Tell me on a Sunday & Almost There (Princess & the Frog)
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Is it acceptable to sing songs from old film musicals or is it better to stick to stage musicals for the legit choice?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Which film musicals are you thinking of as I don't think there are man that havnt been performed on stage at some point.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Well, I was talking to my mum and she mentioned a whole host of Judy Garland and Doris Day classics, but lesser known ones, like "Meet me in St Louis" for example. Some great songs but it never went to the stage.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

According to Wiki - Meet me in St Louis was made into a broadway show
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Did it really? I learn so much from you lot on here!! Thanks for that!! Better start going through my mum's collection of old musical videos!! Who knows what I might find!! :lol: :lol:
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

As this feed has become active again recently, just thought I'd ask, does anyone have any experience with or know whether 'On The Steps of the Palace' (Into the Woods) is a suitable audition song or whether it's just far too tricky accompaniment wise to ask them to sight read? DD's singing teacher thinks its a good one to contrast with 'If I Loved you' (Carousel) at her Arts Ed audition as she played the part of Cinderella last summer in her schools production. She sings the song well and accurately but we're not sure, any thoughts?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Were you aware that " if I loved you " is the song Arts Ed use as an example on the website ? Worried this could be a gamble .
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

We were told no Sondheim, no Jason Robert Brown because of the fiendishly tricky accompaniments.
DD was once in an audition where the pianist totally struggled with her song and it really affected her performance-maybe not worth the risk. Although pianists may be able to say if that is particularly difficult.
Fab song though!
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Yes oscar we were aware of that, but her best friend auditioned for Arts Ed a week ago, sang If I Loved You and was recalled so I don't think she'll have anything to worry about with that one, thank you though!
Okay TotallycluelessMum, thank you for that, where did you hear no Sondheim!? Yes i can imagine that totally ruining the day, i don't think its worth risking really, annoying that her teacher doesnt see this point of view!