Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by lbm1e14 »

Regarding DaDa, my understanding is that it is means tested and the more you earn as a couple the less you get. I am told by DD's dance teacher who is very well informed that the Government has increased the limit at which you get nothing to £90,000 of family income per annum. I haven't checked this for myself and I don't know if the amount you get is "linear" or on a sliding scale. It could be that once you get to a certain point the reduction is bigger. Hope at makes sense. There will be a calculator somewhere online if you want to get a rough idea.
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Here is a link to the DaDa income/support bands if anyone is interested! Quite useful for assessing whether those "non-student loan" colleges could be affordable...or not! https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... o_2016.pdf
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

My DD's friend attended Mountview yesterday for audition. There was approx 60 of them and only about 7 of them got picked for recall audition :shock:
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Last year mountview did their recalls in May . The problem was by then ds had accepted a place somewhere else do didn't take his offer of place on course. Are they doing the same this year ? It was the first year they had done that.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Livy2 wrote:My DD's friend attended Mountview yesterday for audition. There was approx 60 of them and only about 7 of them got picked for recall audition :shock:
What does that mean? Did the other 53 not meet the grade and got sent home? Are those 7 the only ones being considered from that audition? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!! :-s
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Yes 53 were cut and the 7 that got through will either be re-auditioned to see if they have a place or re-auditioned for funding (not quite sure how they do it)

So about 1 in ten get through to the next stage
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Think dd's have now finalised where they are applying and have had recent headshots taken.
Dd1 is applying for RCS, LIPA, RWCMD, BOV, BSA,Mountview,CSSD, PPA.
Dd2 is applying for Bird, Laines, Millenium, Urdang, Tiffany's, Performers, Bodyworks.
Good luck to everyone applying and auditioning :)
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Katymac wrote:Yes 53 were cut and the 7 that got through will either be re-auditioned to see if they have a place or re-auditioned for funding (not quite sure how they do it)

So about 1 in ten get through to the next stage
Goodness, that's an awful lot not making the grade :shock: :shock: Is it that some applicants just go along totally unprepared or is it really that tough? I think I know the answer....it's really tough isn't it??!!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

JayLou62 wrote:Think dd's have now finalised where they are applying and have had recent headshots taken.
Dd2 is applying for Bird, Laines, Millenium, Urdang, Tiffany's, Performers, Bodyworks.
Can I ask why their lists are so different? Is one DD focused more on dance and the other on straight acting? Or do they just not want to go where the other is? :)
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

I think it is just that tough. Last year Mountview said at the initial audition that they were looking to recall only 150 applicants. The recall was for two days and was held at the beginning of May. After day 1 of the recall they cut it by half. Those making it to day 2 got either an offer or a reserve place. They were only looking to take 36 on the musical theatre course in total - 18 girls and 18 boys. I think they have about the same number on their acting course and half that on their actor musician course.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Dd1 is stronger in singing/acting and dd2 is stronger in dance. Both are in college studying acting; musical theatre and dance though dd2 does more dance (both do tap, ballet, modern,commercial, hip hop and body conditioning but dd2 also does acro/aerial, lyrical and contemporary plus more ballet and modern classes).
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

JayLou62 wrote:Think dd's have now finalised where they are applying and have had recent headshots taken.
Wow that's ALOT of auditions for one theatre mum, good luck to both ds'!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

JayLou62 wrote:Dd1 is stronger in singing/acting and dd2 is stronger in dance. Both are in college studying acting; musical theatre and dance though dd2 does more dance (both do tap, ballet, modern,commercial, hip hop and body conditioning but dd2 also does acro/aerial, lyrical and contemporary plus more ballet and modern classes).
Best of luck to them both! Let us know how they (and you!) get on!!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

ajbew wrote:I think it is just that tough. Last year Mountview said at the initial audition that they were looking to recall only 150 applicants. The recall was for two days and was held at the beginning of May. After day 1 of the recall they cut it by half. Those making it to day 2 got either an offer or a reserve place. They were only looking to take 36 on the musical theatre course in total - 18 girls and 18 boys. I think they have about the same number on their acting course and half that on their actor musician course.
36!! Wow, that's not many, is it? No wonder it's so tough. Good luck to all those applying!!
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

To answer the parent that stated that accredited colleges can go onto the Spotlight Graduate list, it's worth noting that graduates from non accredited reputable colleges (eg The MTA) are also eligible for the main Spotlight catalogue (which is used as regularly as the graduate Spotlight). Now that Spotlight is predominantly being accessed on line there therefore is no difference. So our graduates leave college fully registered with both Equity and Spotlight exactly the same as a Drama UK college. Similarly both organisations visit the college on an annual basis.

The only difference is the matter of funding and what options are available to you. I trust that this clears up your confusion. I would say however to double check that a non accredited college is recognised by Spotlight prior to commencing training.