Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Auditioning for 2016

Post by JayLou62 »

Hi,
My older dd is planning to audition for acting courses for 2016 entry and younger dd for dance/musical theatre.
Older dd plans to audition for LIPA; RCS; RWCMD; BOV; Man Met; Birmingham School of Acting. Any others to consider? Older dd is going into her 2nd year on a Musical Theatre/Acting course. Her strengths are singing and acting but although she has lessons in ballet, tap, modern and commercial is below her sister's standard. She has private singing and acting classes through her course.
Younger dd plans to audition for Laine; Bird; Urdang; Tiffany's; Arts Ed; Millenium; Bodyworks. Any others to consider? Younger dd is going into her second year at a local dance college. She's doing Adv 2 ballet; Adv 1 Modern and tap; acro and aerial; contemporary; lyrical; alternative dance; street/hi hop; Musical Theatre and commercial. She has just taken Grade 6 Singing exam and has private singing and acting classes through her course.
Anyone else auditioning for 2016?
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Had she considered RADA, LAMDA, CSSD, Guildhall and Oxford for acting?
nigelben
BRIT Award

Post by nigelben »

Hi JayLou, my son has just completed his first year at Man Met and has loved the school along with the city. MMU has just been voted as equal top drama school in the latest student survery scoring 100% for student satisfaction along with Drama Centre. My son was also impressed with Drama Centre when he had his auditions there so maybe another one for your dd to consider. Another plus for both schools are they are both funded as unis so fees are covered by the student loan. Good luck to both your dds JayLou.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Yes sorry, definitely wasn't saying the ones you were applying for weren't great, they absolutely are.

I was just mentioning other options to spread the net a little wider. It seems with drama school auditions they are often looking for someone that 'fits' which may be different in each school, so the more you go for the better the chances. Loads of luck!
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Thanks both of you....just trying to audition widely but also bearing in mind that 2 dd's auditioning for the same year is very expensive :(
performmum
BRIT Award

Post by performmum »

Younger DD could also consider Performers college, Masters & Hammond!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

The Wilkes. Academy in Swindon is relatively new but offers excellent training . It has student halls and is often generous with scholarships . It is run by Jonathan Wilkes and has Ant and Dec as patrons , take a look at the website x
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Also London Studio Centre for younger DD and Mountview for both as they do both Acting and Musical Theatre degrees there. I think GSA and Central offer both as well. Good luck to your DDs. We went through it last year. DS is going to Mountview. He was very impressed at the auditions. Dance is his strongest but he chose Mountview over Laine, Bird, Urdang and LSC as he felt it would develop him in all the areas more.
acsbj14
Nominee

Post by acsbj14 »

My advice will be to go to as many open days as you can. They are all very different and your dd will get a feeling and vibe for the ones that best suite them. You can then narrow down the ones that they audition for which will reduce your costs greatly. My daughter stepped into LSC and knew it was the place for her immediately over others and starts in September. Good luck x
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

My DD will be reauditioning this year after she was awarded the diploma at Urdang last year, although she got a 40% scholarship we worked it all out and was still far too expensive :( So this year we're really going for the degree course, fingers crossed!!! Shes going for Urdang, Bird, Performers, GSA, Mountview, Chichester uni, Laine and Arts Ed any other suggestions? Look forward to spending this journey will you all!
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

I agree with acsbj14 - go and look round all of them and see which fits - my dd knew Guildhall was the place for her and is starting in September :) My younger dd2 is starting a Musical Theatre course as 6th form and she will be looking at Mountview, Central, Arts Ed and Guildford in 2 years time as they all have great MT courses - good luck and keep us posted x
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

oscar wrote:The Wilkes. Academy in Swindon is relatively new but offers excellent training . It has student halls and is often generous with scholarships . It is run by Jonathan Wilkes and has Ant and Dec as patrons , take a look at the website x
Think the director of YMT's current production Macbeth, Stuart Harvey, is director/head of Acting at the Academy.
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

The dance colleges tend not to do open days :(
I see the Wilkes course is 3 years but doesn't say what qualification is offered?
Masters has few scholarships so really only applying for accredited courses with funding.
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

A word of warning for those applying to GSA this year.
My daughter's boyfriend was surprised and delighted to be offered a place on the Acting Course[after being placed on the reserve list]. The condition of the offer was that he had to get an A and 2B's in his A levels. He didn't get these grades, neither did he do badly. GSA would not accept him. Point blank refusal to even discuss it. He of course is devastated. Worth bearing in mind. It would seem that GSA can place whatever conditions they want on their offers.
I struggle to understand how being a capable actor and being offered a place on an Acting course can equate with gaining an A in Maths.
Surely you are good enough or you are not?
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Oh no jaybeeyellow!! That's awful - how heartbreaking for him, I cannot understand that at all but can only think it is a bad thing that GSA has so closely affiliated itself with a uni - A levels show nothing of his ability to complete a drama course, it is such a step backwards for education - what is he going to do now?