Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by dancingmoll »

does anyone know whether GSA prefers to hear a character or a legit song in the first round? DD is struggling to weigh up which song would be more suitable!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

GSA don't ask for a legit song as far as I know. They ask for one song at the first round .Most people put their best song forward whatever it is. If recalled there is a set list to choose from . Arts Ed choose to hear legit song first and will ask to hear the other if recalled. Mountview ask what your two choices are and choose for you, again asking to hear contrast at recall. The GSA first round is very quick, they don't have much time to make an impact so make sure she is happy with song choice . For all the auditions it is worth knowing two contrasting sings and a legit as you never know if they will want to hear something else . When ds was at mountview audition the panel instantly dismissed someone's choices and the candidate didn't have anything else up her sleeve . Good luck to her.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Sorry for being a bit thick but what do you mean by character and legit songs? :oops:
Dance&Smile
BRIT Award

Post by Dance&Smile »

DD2 auditioned for Urdang last Sunday and on Friday got a phone call from the Principal offering her a place on the degree course! First audition so a very happy girl! :D
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Fantastic news !!!
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

jennifer1972 wrote:Sorry for being a bit thick but what do you mean by character and legit songs? :oops:
I could have understood it wrong but I think legit means it is a pure musical theatre song written for a musical, like a Rogers and Hammerstein number (not a pop derivative musical like Mamma Mia). I think character refers to a song where there is a character journey that has to be acted while singing, or it could be a comic song :?

Well done to your dd Dance&Smile. That has got to be the quickest offer I've ever heard of. Fantastic =D>
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Again, not an expert, but I understood legit to refer to the vocal quality, it's a term used more often in America. I think that "Legit" in singing is a kind of classical, lyrical style like Rodger's and Hammerstein, Lerner and Lowe etc rather than more belty stuff. `so "The Sound of Music' 'Secret Love' 'I could have danced all night' etc etc etc
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Legit usually refers to a pre 1965 song . This is usually expected to be a ballad as well. Acting through song is a must regardless of what is being sung. For auditions they like to hear your voice not a character voice eg Avenue Q. Where schools state contrasting songs this can be upbeat and a ballad ,but equally a song dealing with love and a contrasting emotion eg anger or fear would also be acceptable .
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

How does it work with offers? if you get offered a place at one college and haven't yet heard from one that you prefer, do you accept first offer until something better comes along. I feel as though we should be grateful for any offer but DS has his heart set on two in particular :?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

It depends on the schools and who they are registered with. Who is he hoping for dogcop?
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Top choice Urdang then Laine. Auditions for these and two others are in December so we won't get results for a while. Been offered a scholarship at Millennium which we are really, really grateful for.
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

Accept everything at this point ( unless he hated it!!) that way you have a place held. You will be asked at a later date to confirm if you want the place. This usually happens after the funding auditions. Good luck \:D/
Bring it on!!!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Thanks Pearl. Went to Urdang open day today, didn't see E though. The dance was amazing, DS loved it
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Good luck to all who are auditioning this year...Anyone going for Bodyworks in Cambridge? It is an awesome place, and although it is not in London it is really hard work and the standards are immense!
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

My dd is auditioning for Bodyworks. She has a friend there, so plans to stay with her overnight :)