Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lindy7
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by lindy7 »

My above comment all the others except LIppa and Royal Welsh are for Music Theatre which is her favourite over acting!
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

lindy7 wrote:Hi all
My DD has had auditions for Royal Welsh (acting) and GSA, Mountview and Urdang so far there has been a foundation recall for GSA and a foundation place offer from Urdang so she is very disappointed it is hard seeing them so upset! She is still only 17 and wont be 18 until April but I think she thought she would do better! She has Arts Ed, Lippa and Central to go but I agree with other peoples comments on here that age and different looks wanted for each school comes into the play. She will audition again end of the year again but am worried the same will happen again and it might well be that she is just not good enough as surely if you are very talented they would take you first time??! Feeling stressed and negative at present sorry people!!
Hi Lindy7 , feeling your pain , my D had foundation call for GSA , it is not an option for us . At the Dance School of Scotland at Knightswood in Glasgow ,many of her friends now getting callbacks , we are all feeling the stress , it's reality time ! She scooped 3 awards last year for overall MT performer , but she knows that the competition is high and that different colleges want different type of performers . Please tell your daughter that she is good enough the audition process is one panel's point of view on that day , I heard a lecturer from Conservatoire in Scotland saying that and it has stayed with me . Must keep the faith , I have been so worried this year that my daughter ends 6th year at school with no options for college , but she is determined and has a few more auditions to go . Tell your daughter to keep focused , as we know as adults it's the challenging times in life that make us the strong people that we are ! ( have to be in this game )
lindy7
BRIT Award

Post by lindy7 »

Thankyou bethjinty66 Its just going to be hard not going anywhere and her having to reaudition again the end of the year and the costs involved again but she is determined to go again if she doesn't get any success from her final three auditions. I agree its what the panel's view is on the day as my DD said she has been surprised by some of the recalls for some people as they haven't impressed her at all. I do think age comes into it as well as many people I know were 17 last year with no offers and yet this year they have 3 or 4 offers this year I cant work it out??!!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

It is a very hard process for DC and parents and hard for people who haven't been through it themselves to comprehend. Just because they don't get in ,does not mean they are not talented at all. It might be the school has their quota of 5ft 5 blondes or have enough sopranos already . GSA tell auditionees to let the college pick you not the other way round. That is very hard when their heart has been set on a place for years, but I guess there may be some truth in it. If your DCs are getting recalls and being offered foundation places ,they must have huge potential and are catching the panel's eye. It is very common to be turned down the first year. They really like to see if they want it enough to come back the next year. Good luck with remaining auditions .
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Dd1 had a no from Birmingham. Still got other auditions to go but in the same boat as your dc at the moment.
Dd2 on the other hand has had a further offer (3 in total now) and told at her 4th audition yesterday that a 'good' letter will be sent home:)
Anyone know if it's possible to claim student finance for the maintenance if applying for Diploma courses?
Laine tomorrow for dd2.
So hard doing auditions with 2 and am losing track of who's where!
princess1
BRIT Award

Post by princess1 »

Student finance is only for degree courses! You can apply for a Dada for diploma but that's at the schools discretion who they give it to! Usually have a further Dada funding audition or the school allocates dependent on original auditions! Is also means tested!
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

DD had audition on Friday at Urdang and was offered a place on Saturday - not hanging about there then !
Funding audition 6th March so fingers crossed.

Millennium tomorrow, Performers, Bird and Arts Ed to go.
Anticipating difficult decisions as she is so in love with Cambridge Bodyworks and had her heart set on staying there but.........
Last edited by DanceDiva on Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

DanceDiva wrote:DD had audition on Friday at Urdang and was offered a place on Saturday - not hanging about there then !
Funding audition 8th March so fingers crossed.

Anticipating difficult decisions as she is so in love with Cambridge Bodyworks and had her heart set on staying there but.........
well done to your dd....has she auditioned for Bodyworks again? My dd loves loves loves it there...in her 2nd year.. had offers from other places including a scholarship place at one but decided that Bodyworks was for her x
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

DanceDiva wrote:DD had audition on Friday at Urdang and was offered a place on Saturday - not hanging about there then !
Funding audition 8th March so fingers crossed.

My DD was at Millennium audition on the 22nd too, they may have met as there weren't so many there! How did she feel the day went? Did you attend the tour and parent Q&A? I wasn't able to so if you have any information to pass on I'd be very grateful :D
jooles
GRAMMY Award

Post by jooles »

I Hope that we're all coming to the end of this stressful process! DD has narrowed down her offers to 2 colleges but the list of pros and cons even each other out :? We live in London and have been offered a dada at a London college but her favourite college is Wilkes academy in Swindon.........She is only 16 so the students would be the same age as her at Wilkes which would be easier socially for her and she loves Wilkes; it's a fairly new college but very forward thinking and they study drama and singing (private lessons included) as much as dance which would suit her..........should our decision be "head or heart?!" .....although we live in London it would be approx 1.5 hour commute each way or boarding in Swindon .... both colleges have exceptional teachers.....AARRRGGGG! decisions!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

We have had to go with heart. DS is only 16 and was offered a scholarship at Millennium which we had to turn down as he really felt he wouldn't be right there 8-[ He is going for a funding audition at Laine in April so we are hoping he will get some help. He absolutely loved Laine and I really want him to be happy for the next three years of his life :?
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

dancingmoll wrote: My DD was at Millennium audition on the 22nd too, they may have met as there weren't so many there! How did she feel the day went? Did you attend the tour and parent Q&A? I wasn't able to so if you have any information to pass on I'd be very grateful :D
Sorry dancingmoll - cant help you as I wasn't there either.
DD thought the day went well but out of the 5 colleges she applied for last year Millennium was her least favourite.
I persuaded her to audition again hoping she might change her mind as I liked it there but afraid not.

jasmine2 - yes she will be auditioning for Bodyworks and has always had it in her mind that it is where she'd like to stay but now not quite so sure.......
Such a turmoil !
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Dd2 has places at Bodywork, Millennium, Urdang, Performers and Laine. Bird audition next week.
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

My daughter's friend now on Arts Ed reserve list for BA , does anyone know anything about this ? thanks
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

If I am correct, I think people can hold a number of offers until a certain date when your acceptance is binding. I have a feeling this date is around April time. At this point those holding more than one offer have to decide and that is the point where is movement happens in the reserve list. May be worth asking where on the reserve list your d's friend is. I do remember this situation on a threat here last year. Somebody may be able to be a little more helpful with exactly what happens.
All new to me!