Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

DOFFILER1
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by DOFFILER1 »

Hi can anyone tell me where Urdang students tend to live in the first year ? My DD will be 19 so would prefer to share
a house with other Urdang Students. There is a facebook page set up now but the list that Urdang give you is mainly for very expensive
student complexes with Gyms etc . We are currently looking at the Manor House area . All suggestions welcome.
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Wondering why you would attend a funding audition if you were being considered for foundation at Urdang ?
I didnt think you got funding for foundation courses so there's no way you'd think you were being considered for one if you were at the funding audition ?? How very odd of them !
Losingtheplot
BRIT Award

Post by Losingtheplot »

I maybe mistaken but I don't recall Urdang's audition process being exactly like this last year. I have copied the application process for this year for your information. Point 9 highlights the offers you may expect to receive. Hope it helps:
1. Register for online application here.
2. Complete the online application form.
3. Make a payment of £45 for the first-round college audition. This fee is non-refundable.
4. You will receive confirmation of registration and receipt of audition payment via e-mail.
5. You will be allocated an audition date and what to prepare for the audition day via e-mail (a record of all communications can be found under ‘Messages’ when you log into your account).
6. Log in to confirm your audition date. (we cannot process your application without this, you can select an alternative date).
7. Attend your audition.
8. Urdang will confirm by e-mail whether your audition was successful or unsuccessful. Unfortunately we are unable to give feedback.
9. If your audition is successful you will receive one of the following offers:
Foundation Course – Please accept or reject the offer. If you accept we will be in touch with enrolment details later in 2016. You do not attend a Recall Audition.
Foundation Course shortlisted for Diploma Course – You will be invited to return for a Recall and be considered for funding. A Recall date will be allocated and sent to you via e-mail. If you are unsuccessful in gaining a place on the Diploma you will retain a confirmed place on the Foundation Course.
Diploma Course shortlisted for Degree Programme – You will be invited to return for a Recall, which will also incorporate an academic interview. A Recall date will be allocated and sent to you via e-mail. If you are unsuccessful in gaining a place on the Degree you will retain a confirmed place on the Diploma and will still be considered for funding.
Fast Track Offer – In exceptional cases only, and at the discretion of the Audition Panel, an applicant may be fast tracked onto either the Degree or Diploma and will not be required to attend a recall audition.
10. Log in and confirm your Recall date.
11. Attend your Recall.
12. Urdang will confirm the outcome of your audition via e-mail. If you are successful you will be offered one of the following:
A confirmed place on the Diploma with funding
A confirmed place on the Diploma without funding
A confirmed place on the Degree
13. You must then confirm or reject your place. If you accept you will be sent Terms and Conditions with a deposit payment request.
DOFFILER1
Nominee

Post by DOFFILER1 »

Xxxlisaxxx I have sent you a pm
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Thanks for your post regarding audition information for Urdang 2016 entry Losingtheplot.
However, it still does not explain the email my dd received inviting her to a recall audition to be considered for the Diploma/Degree course after a successful first audition to then be told during the interview of the recall that she was being considered for the Foundation course :(
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

I think you would legally be entitled to a refund as basically you are not receiving the service you paid for .
Losingtheplot
BRIT Award

Post by Losingtheplot »

Sorry JayLou I didn't realise she had been called for the degree recall. In that case according to the terms on their website she should automatically be offered an unfunded diploma place irrespective of whether she is successful at obtaining funding or not. I think a call to Urdang may be required. My DD auditioned last year and I think the process has changed slightly since then. Good luck and keep us posted on your DDs progress.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Very happy and proud to share that DD2 has been offered a place at LSC where she'll be joining her big sister!

Good luck to those still waiting!
Losingtheplot
BRIT Award

Post by Losingtheplot »

Congratulations to all those who have received offers and good luck to those who are still waiting to here. xxx
BettyBooLeigh
Nominee

Post by BettyBooLeigh »

Very excited DD in this house, LSC degree offer received yesterday and full DADA offer for Laines received today.
Well done everyone receiving offers & good luck everyone still waiting to hear! :D
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

When do you have to let them know by? I'm wondering how long it takes to sort out accommodation and everything else :?
Megmar610
GRAMMY Award

Post by Megmar610 »

Big congrats to your DD BettyBooLeigh. Just interested did your DD get a letter from Laine or telephone call, my DD is desperately waiting to hear from them it's been a long two weeks. :o
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

DOFFILER1 wrote:Hi can anyone tell me where Urdang students tend to live in the first year ? My DD will be 19 so would prefer to share
a house with other Urdang Students. There is a facebook page set up now but the list that Urdang give you is mainly for very expensive
student complexes with Gyms etc . We are currently looking at the Manor House area . All suggestions welcome.
Hi, Urdang students are spread all across London and some commute from parental homes in Herts etc. A few live in the very expensive student accommodation which is walking distance from Urdang but most have to travel in.

DD linked up with someone via the Facebook page, plus one who she was already friends with, and we met up to watch the Urdang Graduate Revue show. We all agreed on budget and priorities (a short walk to the tube station and a night bus route) then searched for privately rented 4-bed flats/houses (cheaper per person than 3-beds) via estate agents, focussing on proximity to a Northern Line tube station. Once we found somewhere dd used the FB page to find a 4th person. They now live in Archway in a flat that we found on Right Move. DD has a few friends who live in Finchley so that area might be worth looking at too.

It is really hard if you are not close to London and able to view properties the day they become available as everything is snapped up within a day or two. They don't get advertised in advance like in other student areas so if you rent privately it feels quite last minute; we found the flat late July. We were also gazumped on a previous flat after paying a month's rent as deposit when the agent tried to get us to offer more rent {evil} . So going with a student accommodation provider would be much less stressful - if more expensive!

As it gets closer people will start posting that they have a room available if you don't fancy doing all the searching yourselves.
Good luck! x
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Also, re accommodation for Urdang students, it is worth checking out Chester House. It is much cheaper than the other private student halls as it is a bit further out and has students from Urdang, London Studios and Mountview. It is about a 35min walk from the tube station but there is a bus from right outside that takes about 40mins to get to Urdang I believe. DS has been happy there this year (he is in Mountview). It is also catered so there are not many additional food costs (just five lunches a week to take care of). He says some Urdang students moved out into a shared house after the first term, but moved back in later as they found that when they factored in bills and food Chester House was cheaper.
DOFFILER1
Nominee

Post by DOFFILER1 »

Thank you for the replies on accommodation. Not so easy to sort when you are miles away from London. I think a few are looking
at Chester House, but she really wanted to be in a shared house, although, first time away from home its not always as they imagine it to be !