Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by reachforthestars »

Hoping for some good news for you soon Lindy7 and Jaybeeyellow, the wait must be stressful.
Congratulations to all who've got what they wanted this year.
The journey begins for us in a few months...but first we have a run of Jekyll and Hyde, opened last night and didn't disappoint!
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

jasmine2 wrote:Just watched Bodyworks Body Electric show and graduation ceremony...all I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!

And just to top it off my dd got the scholarship this year, so her 3rd year will be fully funded...I am SO SO proud of her and all the students :D \:D/
We went Friday for Foundies Graduation and then managed to get tickets for Saturday as we enjoyed it that much.
HUGE congratulations to your DD jasmine2 - it was so emotional to see her reaction, had us all in tears !
What a fabulous set of students they are - looking forward to seeing everyone again in September \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

DanceDiva wrote:
jasmine2 wrote:Just watched Bodyworks Body Electric show and graduation ceremony...all I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!

And just to top it off my dd got the scholarship this year, so her 3rd year will be fully funded...I am SO SO proud of her and all the students :D \:D/
We went Friday for Foundies Graduation and then managed to get tickets for Saturday as we enjoyed it that much.
HUGE congratulations to your DD jasmine2 - it was so emotional to see her reaction, had us all in tears !
What a fabulous set of students they are - looking forward to seeing everyone again in September \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Aww thank you so much...you probably heard me scream then..lol.. we were sitting towards the back...

The show was spectacular, they are all so so talented....
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Ok I am very confused - Ds tells me that clearing places are now available to see and he was searching for courses that might be available if he misses his grades. Now GSA is showing both the Musical Theatre and Actor Musician BA courses. Why? Did everyone go off the musical theatre course because of the grade requirement? I know the Actor Musician course was on last year, but that was its first year, so little known. Not an option for Ds as his current place is same offer anyway but I'm curious. Also how can they offer a place to someone in clearing when it is a course that requires an audition?

I would be VERY interested to know what is going on here!
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Weird isn't it, after such a rigorous audition process!

It looks like Urdang and Bird are both in clearing if I'm understanding it correctly... and yet I know someone on the reserve for degree at Bird.

DD told me about someone who got on to the Urdang degree in her year via Clearing by submitting a video audition. Might be worth enquiring what the process is in preparation for any last minute applications for anyone thinking of doing this.

I hope your DS gets the grades and won't need to go through Clearing x
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Thanks carriecrafts. I think he's just having a normal worry but will probably get the grades.

lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Very strange. I would have thought that the degree places would go like hotcakes from the reserve list given they are funded. Presume also they're available to new applicants only as surely anyone who auditioned and was good enough would have been offered a place or put on the reserve list.
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I think that people have been wary this year about applying to GSA.
Wonder if they may bump some up from the MT Foundation Course? Then again, I suppose that would mean losing money, since the Foundation is not funded.
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Hecouldshine wrote:Thanks carriecrafts. I think he's just having a normal worry but will probably get the grades.
Even if he doesn't get the grades they might still offer the place. My middle DD got an offer from Oxford but narrowly missed the A Level result she needed - she phoned Oxford to ask whether they would wait for a re-mark of one paper (you would be amazed at how much re-marks sometimes differ to the original mark) but they said because she'd impressed them at interview they were offering her the place anyway, phew. x
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

jaybeeyellow wrote:I think that people have been wary this year about applying to GSA.
Wonder if they may bump some up from the MT Foundation Course? Then again, I suppose that would mean losing money, since the Foundation is not funded.
Jaybeeyellow, why have people been wary about applying to GSA this year?
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

GSA now have a minimum grade requirement for entry to their courses. I know of one student who was accepted on the Acting Course, and unfortunately failed to get the grades that they had asked for. GSA would not accept him. Very harsh.
Some might say, fair enough, he didn't get the grades, but personally I don't see a connection between being able to act, and achieving academically.
I do wonder whether this stance has had a knock on effect to this year's entry.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

carriecrafts wrote:
Hecouldshine wrote:Thanks carriecrafts. I think he's just having a normal worry but will probably get the grades.
Even if he doesn't get the grades they might still offer the place. My middle DD got an offer from Oxford but narrowly missed the A Level result she needed - she phoned Oxford to ask whether they would wait for a re-mark of one paper (you would be amazed at how much re-marks sometimes differ to the original mark) but they said because she'd impressed them at interview they were offering her the place anyway, phew. x
Thanks for that advice carriecrafts. Reassuring to hear :D

As regards GSA applications. There was quite a debate on here last year with members bemoaning the grade requirements. Might even have been early on in this thread. Interesting if that actually resulted in a reduced number of applicants, or reflected a more generally held belief that applications there weren't worth the risk :-k

Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21904&start=15

Ok Page 2 we started discussing it - hopefully link above takes you there.

performmum
BRIT Award

Post by performmum »

This just popped up on my Facebook feed, if anyone was still looking for places.

Performers College
Still not confirmed your course choice for September 2016 yet? Limited places have become available for both the Pre-Voc and 3-year Diploma courses so don't delay, get in touch today!

01375 672053 lesley@performerscollege.co.uk
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Foundation students do not get preferential treatment for GSA , in fact the opposite. University of Surrey dictate entry requirements for the degrees and GSA hands are tied.