Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by 2dancersmum »

I'm curious to know if there is any adverse knock on effect for having a student loan for a foundation degree? Student loans eligibility state that loans are only available for the first higher education qualification (it includes foundation degree in that list), even if self funded. It says limited funding may be available for those who change their minds and leave their first course or for those wanting to top up their qualification from an HND or foundation degree. Does anyone have experience of this to know what is meant by 'limited funding' here?
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I really don't know the answers to these questions, and am thinking that maybe we should have asked theses questions.
The 'foundation' course at East 15 is actually a Cert HE qualification. Could it be something to do with that?
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

If the Foundation is validated as leading to a Higher Education qualification then student finance is available:

A Certificate in Higher Education (Cert HE) is the new equivalent of an HNC, it is a level 4 qualification, equal to the first year of a BA.
A Foundation Degree or a Diploma in HE, the new HND, is a level 5 qualification equal to second year of a degree.

Unless the rules have changed for new starters, student finance is available for up to 4 years. For example I did a Foundation degree which took 2 years, I can now top up to a BA (Hons) by joining a degree course at 2nd year, so a further 2 years of student finance. If someone does the 1-year Cert HE they can then do a full BA lasting 3 years, so student finance for 4 years. The same applies if someone needs to repeat a year mid-degree for any reason.

I don't know why Urdang and Bird etc don't make their Foundations Cert HE qualifications... Maybe you need to be 18+ for a Cert HE so that would restrict under 18s
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Email from Urdang received today saying Dd2 has a Foundation place after her recall audition (no surprise after her interview) :(
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Spot on carriecrafts. Did some research earlier but you've saved me writing a long post :D
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Thank you carriecrafts. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.
als17
BRIT Award

Post by als17 »

Carriecrafts that makes sense. I was told DD could have 4 years funding so your post explains it perfectly to me - thank you :D
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

Asking on behalf of a friend, is anyone still waiting to hear from Laines?
Bring it on!!!
Double trouble
Nominee

Post by Double trouble »

Hi good luck to u all , just joined this forum so hope I've posted this right ? My daughter is in first yr at Millennium doing dance course very happy she doesn't do much singing think just 1 class a wk but does loads of dance ! She comes from ballet background and feel the ballet side is very good she has excellent teachers . Good luck with all your offers x
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

I was wondering if anyone has views/information/experience on/of:

- what makes Bird decide to offer a candidate a place on the BA rather than the diploma or vice versa;
- how things work with the Bird reserve list which DD is on. They've said that they will start looking at it mid-May which makes sense as their last audition is May 12th. For personal reasons we need to know urgently if she will be offered a place. Thoughts welcome.

Danceandsing
BRIT Award

Post by Danceandsing »

Hi lbmle14, my DD was on the Bird BA reserve list a couple of years ago. It's a looooooong wait, we didn't hear until July, some I know of didn't hear until late August! We found out where she was on the list, which gave us hope, and when the reserve lists do start moving, everything seems to spring into action, but not until June (first UCAS cut off date) at the earliest.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Hi danceandsing. I had a suspicion that would be the case. That timing is not helpful so we'll have to deal with things as we find them. I will try to find out where she is on the list though. As you say it would give an indication of the possibility of it becoming an offer.
Xxxlisaxxx
BRIT Award

Post by Xxxlisaxxx »

Hi everyone, congrats to everyone who has a place this year! We are still waiting on funding result from Urdang...is anyone else still waiting to hear? Don't want to ring again. TIA
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

My D has just found out that she is on the Reseve list for Central, Acting with MT course.
Does anyone have any experience of this? How these lists operate, and what the chances are of eventually getting in?
All the waiting is so frustrating! ](*,)
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

We're waiting to hear from Laine - will be 3 weeks on Friday since the funding audition: (