Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

BettyBooLeigh
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by BettyBooLeigh »

Hi Megmar610

Thank you for your message, my DD received a letter in the post this morning from Laine.
Good luck to your DD :D
BettyBooLeigh
Nominee

Post by BettyBooLeigh »

Hi Dogcop,

London Studio email just said Congratulations. We are delighted to confirm you have auditioned successfully..... your formal offer letter will be sent out in the next 10 days. so no acceptance needed yet. (auditioned for Degree only)

Laine email has no date to accept but asks for the DADA application to be submitted asap and that the offer will remain provisional until the completed DADA application has been assessed. (Need P60 which my husband and I haven't received yet so worth requesting this from your employer if not yet recvd)

Urdang email wanted place accepted by 15th April for Degree with deposit

Just pending Performers DADA result.

I think once you have accepted a place the colleges send out details of the local landlords and varying accommodation in the area.

Its been a long process and very stressful!!!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Thank you that's really helpful
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 201

Post by dancingmoll »

Big congratulations to all of those who have received positive offers so far, doesn't it make it all worth it!

Bit of a long shot, does anyone remember at the BIrd audition when the deputy principle Luis De Abreu mentioned that the college was rated 3rd for percentage of west end performers trained there...? Does anyone know where he got this statistic or what the other top 2 are? DD and I are just interested!! Finally, how long generally did people have to wait to hear from bird and urdang funding recall?
Thanks all and well done again!
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

I imagine the other two are out of GSA, Mountivew and ArtsEd? Not sure where the stat came from. But you know what they say about statistics :D Can't help with funding question.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

I would think the other 2 are the ones that are supposed to be the best: Urdang and Laines... But if you look at the West End show, LSC is definitely in the top!
Megmar610
GRAMMY Award

Post by Megmar610 »

Dd got letter from Laine on the waiting list so will just have to wait and see what happens ](*,) . Has your dd got a favourite bettyboopleigh?

What year earnings do you have to submit for the dada as when doing the student finance we had to give 14/15 figures?!
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

2dancersmum wrote:You've posted that comment about degrees and diplomas and funding before and you are right that it does cost quite a lot to do the BA Conversion course if you have completed the level 6 diploma. It should however be remembered that because the funding is different for the diploma, the students themselves do not have the student loan debt for a 3 year course hanging over them. The conversion course is eligible for a student loan but is also designed so that it can be completed when a student has graduated and is already in work. So a loan may or may not be even necessary. The conversion course is also optional and does not need be completed immediately after the diploma.
In any case, getting work after graduation is the same for all students regardless of what course they studied - competitive and by audition. There is no right or wrong route of degree or diploma.

Thanks for this , apologies for posting twice . I got this information couple of years ago I wasn't too sure I understood your post , but Ive checked Bird's website , thanks for this , Our first year auditioning , been very stressful and confusing , thanks for clarifying , I can pass this to our school . My d has 3 offers but funding it the big concern, she was due to her last audition at Bird , but has dislocated her shoulder agh!!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

I would think the other 2 are the ones that are supposed to be the best: Urdang and Laines... But if you look at the West End show, LSC is definitely in the top![quote][/quote]

I would be very cautious about saying which schools are the best on here. We all have DCs at different places and I am sure that they are all good. It is always a matter for debate which ones the "top "schools are.I think it's a subject that we will all differ on. I would be interested to know about which ones get the most work though.
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

dancingmoll wrote:Big congratulations to all of those who have received positive offers so far, doesn't it make it all worth it!

Bit of a long shot, does anyone remember at the BIrd audition when the deputy principle Luis De Abreu mentioned that the college was rated 3rd for percentage of west end performers trained there...? Does anyone know where he got this statistic or what the other top 2 are? DD and I are just interested!! Finally, how long generally did people have to wait to hear from bird and urdang funding recall?
Just another view - my DS is looking at musical theatre courses, but is adamant that Urdang and LSC are not the right places for him. I am now listening to him and tending to go with the view I had when trying to choose a secondary school - if your child is capable of doing well they will wherever they end up...
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Agree Oscar. Bird do say "Top 3" and don't use he word "best" and could be based upon numbers and/or quality of roles which is of course subjective. Also the schools with larger intakes have a better chance of having more alumni on the West End. And some schools produce more dancers/chorus rather than triple threat leads and supporting actors. So it all depends on what you're looking for. But one thing is for sure, there is very little hard data out there in the public domain about their student outcomes published by the schools themselves.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

I couldn't agree more. Each school has it's strengths. I hadn't thought about the volume of students going through the schools , but you are right. Some of them only have 30 students .
Tatty t
GRAMMY Award

Post by Tatty t »

We waited just under two weeks for our funding audition for urdang which dd was delighted to get the dada , you need p60 for current year 2015 to 2016
Good luck everyone with funding auditions
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

oscar wrote:I would think the other 2 are the ones that are supposed to be the best: Urdang and Laines... But if you look at the West End show, LSC is definitely in the top!
I would be very cautious about saying which schools are the best on here. We all have DCs at different places and I am sure that they are all good. It is always a matter for debate which ones the "top "schools are.I think it's a subject that we will all differ on. I would be interested to know about which ones get the most work though.
Hi Oscar, I think you misunderstand me... I was not stating what schools were the "best" or the "top 3" as Bird puts it. I was simply answering a question about what Bird might have meant by the top 3 and it's not my opinion about which schools are best. I agree with you that the debate is open and that different schools cater for different needs for different DC.

The original question was about Bird and the first answer to it was naming schools that offer a different course than Bird does. For example, I believe GSA to be a wonderful school for acting but it doesn't cater for dancers the same way Bird, Urdang, Laines and LSC do.... There is no doubt in my mind after having also talked to other parents at auditions that Bird meant the top 3 for dancers who sing and act...

Having said that, I agree with you that looking at graduates destinations is the most telling and that's why I mentioned LSC and their success with West End shows. I also strongly believe that talented DC will thrive in any school that nurtures them, it being on top of the schools list or not.
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

moleseymum wrote:
dancingmoll wrote:Big congratulations to all of those who have received positive offers so far, doesn't it make it all worth it!

Just another view - my DS is looking at musical theatre courses, but is adamant that Urdang and LSC are not the right places for him. I am now listening to him and tending to go with the view I had when trying to choose a secondary school - if your child is capable of doing well they will wherever they end up...
Oh I totally agree, I tell my DD this often enough. And it goes the other way too, those who end up at one of the most prestigious schools and then put in little effort..they will not do well. It's all about attitude!