Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

soda
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by soda »

Lindy, please ignore my earlier post which applied to recalls only, sorry
soda
BRIT Award

Post by soda »

Dd got an offer for the MT Foundation at Arts Ed today (auditioned for degree), we are delighted for her and are fortunately able to fund it. She has more auditions coming up,and already has an unconditional offer from LCM, but I would love to hear from anyone who has dcs who have done the foundation, what did they think of the course and did they successfully apply for a degree/diploma the following year? If so, where? I realise the Foundation at Arts Ed is a relatively new course,
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Soda firstly congratulation to your DC! She must feel so excited and what an achievement. :) May I ask did she apply for the BA & Foundation Acting or just BA ? Perhaps a Qs for other NAPM too? I'm interested in the success rate of those who do foundation & than apply at the same school for BA acting? As we know, 1000s apply for 25-35 places & I'm assuming the unis also have a few places for international students. Success rate to get into BA acting 1st time appears low (am I wrong) .. I hope I don't sound cynical but cost of auditions, etc etc wondering if school,feel,you have potential, they offer foundation if you haven't applied for it. Help!
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
soda
BRIT Award

Post by soda »

Hello It's Showtime, she applied for the 3yr MT course, I have no experience with the acting courses I'm afraid, I wish you well with your applications though.
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

Watching this thread with great interest. Dd is currently in Y12 at college and will begin auditioning towards the end of this year for 2017 entry :shock: Time is moving so fast and I'm not sure I'm ready for all the madness that this entails.

It's good to hear how all your DC's are doing and how you parents are coping too.

Dd knows someone who has just been offered a place at GSA following a successful recall last week. Wishing everyone the very best of luck over the next few stressful months, stay strong and push hard every step of the way!
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Has anyone got any comments or tips on the Millennium audition? DD has this on the 22nd and as it's one she didn't do last year she's unsure as to what she should expect! Another thing, does any one know whether GSA dislike auditionees to do a song from the recall list for their preliminary audition? Thanks all
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

dancingmoll wrote:Has anyone got any comments or tips on the Millennium audition? DD has this on the 22nd and as it's one she didn't do last year she's unsure as to what she should expect! Another thing, does any one know whether GSA dislike auditionees to do a song from the recall list for their preliminary audition? Thanks all
I seem to remember when dd auditioned for millennium it was an all day audition,,ballet, jazz, song and monologue. She was offered a place but decided to take up the offer at Bodyworks Cambridge instead.

Good luck
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
lindy7
BRIT Award

Post by lindy7 »

HI my DD got a no from 1st audition for GSA and is very upset as this was her favourite and it didn't help that her audition group said as well how good she sounded! I wondered as well whether the song she sang was wrong ' Vanilla icecream from she loved me!! She is still not eighteen yet and this is her first year of auditioning and has a further 5 to go but it has dented her confidence some what! Please could anyone out there have some good news to tell me that any first rejections and trying again the next year then got offers!! I'm just trying to cheer her up and to be honest I feel your rather very lucky to get in first time of trying or am I deluding myself. I so want to her to achieve her dream but it is a stressful time and it doesn't help that she is academic and could have had a great university place studying law instead!!!
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

My D in same boat no recall for GSA was asked if wanted to apply for foundation , she has Arts tomorrow and Trinty Wednesday , any advice? thanks
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

A foundation course at a reputable school can sometimes be the answer. Don't look at it as second best , just a different route. I know not everyone is in the fortunate position of funding one but if you are ..... The competition is so high and an extra year to mature, polish , choose the right material can be worth it's weight in gold. The courses vary hugely, so it's worth comparing the content,hours and success rates.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

For Millennium, dd said be prepared to do scales. The monologue and song are done in front of 1 person. In dance there is a ballet class - dd thinks they look for technique but if technique isn't strong, smile :) For contemporary focus on breath and release (catch and release) and for jazz, just perform. Dd enjoyed the audition and a friend said they let you know really quickly (Millennium said up to 2 weeks).
Hope this helps.
collieni
Nominee

Post by collieni »

Lindy, my DS also got a no after the first round at GSA this year. He's 17 and it was his first audition. He was gutted as he really loved the place and has a couple of good friends there. He's since auditioned for 6 more colleges, and has had offers from Urdang and Millenium, and recalls for Mountview and Conservatoire of Scotland. Waiting to hear from Trinity Laban. So please tell your DD not to be disappointed! Where else has she applied?
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Lindy7, my ds was turned down for GSA after first audition and also turned down for Mountview. However, he got into Arts Ed first time round so don't be put off. I think each college is looking for something that only they know. Not getting past the first audition is no indication of anything. My ds was very down after getting rejected. I told him to just go to the other auditions and enjoy the experience and anything else was a bonus.
All new to me!
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

Hi Lindy

My dd had the same in last years drama school auditions (she was in The Vortex with YMT too). She felt her first auditions for GSA and Mountview went really well, but still had a no. I agree they all seem to look for different things as she had offers from Italia Conti and LCM and a recall at Central. The choice is whether to try again next year, look at foundation courses or audition at other places that may not be your 'top' options. DD is very happy now at LCM and I think she made the best choice for her. Don't be too disheartened. We know so many talented people that haven't got in yet.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Thank you Soda & to others for recent replies. Well done to DCs for auditioning - they know how competitive it is and hats off to them for this stressful process. DC also had situation where several nos after first round and 2nd round for others where least expected it!
My query was for the BA Acting actually - sounds like some of your DC are auditioning for MT. Has anyone had success following an Acting foundation course either at the school of their choice or another! Many thanks :D
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**