What to do at 16?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Re: What to do at 16?

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Apart from GSA, who can, if they choose place high conditional grades on their offers, I think that the majority of schools are happy to accept the BTEC qualification. I don't think they choose their students on their qualifications.
If you son wants to try for straight acting, it is unlikely, though not impossible that he will be accepted first time around.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

What is the more likely age to be accepted for straight acting courses? I see a lot of posts mentioning how difficult it is to get in aged 18, is it much better a year later? I realise no one can give specifics as nothing is guaranteed. DD is 13, has her heart set on going to drama school, but she is more of an actor then singer and not so much of a dancer. She's got a little bit of experience dancing as she knows she'll need it. She's starting to see the older students at her drama group apply and not get in to drama schools and deciding to go to University instead.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

I'm reading this thread with much interest. DS wants to do performing arts at one of the obvious schools, if he's lucky enough, but like many parents I want him to get some A levels first. He's quite academic. Should he just choose 3 subjects he likes and is good at, or should he be picking drama/theatre studies type A levels to evidence his interest, or should he look at BTEC type more vocational options, or am I correct in thinking it will all come down to audition anyway? He does ballet and contemporary dance, part-time theatre school and is looking into singing lessons at the moment, and has been in many amateur and a couple of professional shows, so I'm hoping he's covered the practical bases. Given this, I'm tempted to encourage him to go for solid academic subjects so that if he ever changes course in life he has a solid clutch of A levels (plus hopefully a BA Hons in performing arts!). Do you more seasoned parents think this is a good idea? Many thanks!
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Hi biscuitsneeded, during my DDs time in 6th form she did 3 non performing arts related A Levels; biology, psychology and history (dropping biology in the 2nd year) as well as a BTEC diploma in Performing Arts. Although she was persuaded by her dance teacher to take both A level dance and drama on top of the BTEC, we thought it would be sensible to take some academic subjects just in case she ever had to fall back on them in later life. As it happened this seemed to be a really good mixture as she got her academic fill and was able to keep on top of things such as essay writing but also gained priceless experience and confidence from doing the BTEC, it was a really good balance and a decision I know she was very glad she had made! Her A level grades have also helped her get onto a degree course this year at Urdang and Bird, so I don't think there is any thing negative about taking a couple of academic A levels and I don't think colleges would see it to be a lack of commitment issue either! I hope this has helped :)
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Hi biscuitsneeded,
I agree with dancingmoll. I don't think it matters what they do for A level/BTEC as it seems to go purely on audition. Obviously if he is looking at a degree course he will need the appropriate number of UCAS points although when DS was applying last year he wasn't asked for very high grades (2 Es at most of them). He had a similar background to your DS and just did A levels that he enjoyed - maths, physics, drama and chemistry, dropping the chemistry after AS. He figured those subjects could come in useful for backstage work/sound/lighting if he got injured and couldn't perform for any reason. He applied for six of the top London colleges and had places at five with several scholarships. He was offered some without having to attend a recall so I really don't think the route he took had any bearing at all. He is now in his first year at Mountview and is absolutely loving it! Good luck to your DS
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks both for your advice - really helpful. And reassuring to know he can stick with the academic subjects if he wants to and not affect his chances.
Dixie37
BRIT Award

Post by Dixie37 »

Thought I would post a little update! My daughter started on her BTEC Extended Diploma in Performing Arts and hated the first week. She felt sure she had made the wrong choice and asked me to contact someone at the college to discuss moving to Health and Social Care as her backup option in the future is to teach. Her tutor was fabulous and by the end of week 2 she was back on track with Performing Arts. I have looked into it and should she decided that she does want to teach she can still use the UCAS points gained from her Performing Arts qualification to do a degree in teaching. I think her extra experience in performing arts might even be a bonus when looking for a job. I want her to enjoy the next 2 years and think her 1st choice of course is the best way for this to happen, but I am also happy she is thinking of other options.

Her course seems to be offering a great mix of singing and acting. The dancing is really not a challenge for her but she is still doing her dance classes at her dance school so I am not worried.

She is happy, making friends and I am so relieved that after a year of injury (dislocated knee) and no success at auditions (probably due to the aftermath of the injury) that she is settled.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

That's really good news Dixie37. :D xxxx
DancingDisneyMum
Nominee

Post by DancingDisneyMum »

Same with my DD. She's looking at post 16 for experience ready for diplomas when she's 18.
Can anyone recommend good post 16 MT courses?
(Other than - BRIT, Tring, Conti's, Emil Dale)
Also, if anyone has any experience of MT courses from the list below I'd love to know!
Kind Regards.
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

DancingDisneyMum wrote:Same with my DD. She's looking at post 16 for experience ready for diplomas when she's 18.
Can anyone recommend good post 16 MT courses?
(Other than - BRIT, Tring, Conti's, Emil Dale)
Also, if anyone has any experience of MT courses from the list below I'd love to know!
Kind Regards.
If you are prepared to look outside London:
The Academy for Theatre Arts is worth a look https://www.facebook.com/jillclewesacad ... eatrearts/ in North Staffordshire. They are fully funded and have a great record of getting students in to the big Diploma and Degree colleges. Entry is by audition only. I know when dd was there they had students from further afield lodging with other students' families.

http://www.boa-academy.co.uk/index.php might be worth looking at too.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Bodyworks Cambridge is fabulous and offers several different courses

Can highly recommend it x good luck x :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Stageworks in Cambridgeshire and Reynolds Performing Arts are two I had recommended to me, though my DD in the end went straight onto a level 6 diploma course instead
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I know of several students who did the funded Jill Clewes Btec & gained places at sought after colleges aged 18 including a lovely young lady who went onto Bird after wards (she was a student chaperone for their summer school)

I am now hearing of their first crop of students who are getting professional contracts.

My dd wants to do A levels not a Btec or it would be top of our list.