Degree or Diploma ?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

CassiesMum
Nominee

Degree or Diploma ?

Post by CassiesMum »

Hi everyone my DD has been offered a place on diploma at Laine & Degree at Bird, I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice. Totally thrilled but confused as not sure which path would be best. DD loves performing she has a strong dance background ( less singing & acting) & has been studying MT at college, really drawn towards Bird as loved the audition but I am slightly worried that the degree course may not offer as much practical training as a diploma & could be more useful for a career in training rather than performance. If anyone has any experience regarding degree course at Bird it would be very appreciated, Thank you in anticipation.
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Re: Degree or Diploma ?

Post by FelixGirl »

Hi CassiesMum!
Congratulations to your DD, what a lovely position to be in!! My DD is just finishing her 3rd year at Bird........and the degree and diploma courses have been identical apart from the additional contextual work needed for the degree, so absolutely no difference in the amount of vocational training! Bird is very 'performance' orientated so really don't worry about that!! If you're still concerned it might be worth calling them to discuss it.....I'm sure they would be happy to reassure you/your DD!
CassiesMum
Nominee

Post by CassiesMum »

Hi Felixgirl,

Thank you so much for your reply, feel so much better now :D thank you yes she has been very very lucky ( did not expect to be offered such fantastic opportunities) Think we will be accepting Bird as she loved it & got a real feel for the place. Has your DD enjoyed her time at Bird & was it a full on timetable ?
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Bird was DD's first choice too (also offered Laine and Urdang), and it is a brilliant college!! The training is completely full-on, with a huge number of contact hours per week.....I don't think any of them ever have time to get bored (on the contrary......they are hugely grateful for breaks whenever they get them)!!

I'm not the right person to ask about enjoyment though.......DD was injured in her first term, and this has made a massive difference to her experience.....she missed over a year and a half of training, and has really fought to stay up with the rest of her year group......I am very proud of her determination to graduate when many others have dropped out!!
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Hi Felixgirl - cannot believe your dd is already graduating from Bird - it doesn't seem any time at all I was messaging you for audition tips and my dd is in her last term of first year at Laine!! I'm sorry to hear your dd has been out for so long with an injury massive well done to her for sticking with it and getting to the end =D> I guess it's now time to venture out into the world of auditions I wish her every success do keep us updated with her progress xxx
CassiesMum
Nominee

Post by CassiesMum »

So sorry to hear of your DD's injury, but how proud you must be of her determination to continue. Very best wishes for graduation & your DD's future & thank you again for the information. Lovely to talk to you, keep in touch & let us know how things are going.x
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

FelixGirl wrote:Bird was DD's first choice too (also offered Laine and Urdang), and it is a brilliant college!! The training is completely full-on, with a huge number of contact hours per week.....I don't think any of them ever have time to get bored (on the contrary......they are hugely grateful for breaks whenever they get them)!!

I'm not the right person to ask about enjoyment though.......DD was injured in her first term, and this has made a massive difference to her experience.....she missed over a year and a half of training, and has really fought to stay up with the rest of her year group......I am very proud of her determination to graduate when many others have dropped out!!
Hello and congratulations to your DD. Can I just ask if you know the reason why so many dropped out? It's such an intense and difficult path just to get a place so I would be interested to know why some students would not continue and see it through.
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Hi jennifer1972

Thank you! The majority of the drop outs have been for very specific reasons....injury, financial, family problems....but there have been a couple where the student has decided that the training is not for them or that they just can't cope with the stress of it. Some others who have been injured have dropped down a year! I don't think it would have been an easy decision for any of them, as you so rightly point out, having fought so hard to get there!

DD damaged her back (completely outside of college...nothing to do with her dancing!) and this absolutely destroyed her confidence. At this point, she was finding it really tough to continue......but she struggled through first and second year (although she still managed to pass her assessments), and it was only in the summer term of her second year that she started to find her feet again.....so we are very proud of her!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Wow!! It looks like she definitely has enough determination to succeed in whatever comes her way next! I'm sure her future will be very bright!! 8) 8)