Value of degree in the real world?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

woody
BRIT Award

Re: Value of degree in the real world?

Post by woody »

Good point carriecrafts, and I'm wondering whether the same also applies if they have had a DaDa instead of a student loan - does anyone know?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Value of degree in the real world?

Post by 2dancersmum »

Student finance is available for the first higher education qualification - even if the first one is self funded. The level 6 diploma is a higher education qualification so in theory then you cannot get student finance to do a degree afterwards - though i believe you can get finance for the BA conversion course. I took a friends DD to an audition for a diploma course last year and a parent asked the question about student loans for a degree later on and the school told us the above - which is what the student finance website also says. Having said this i do know students who have gone on to do BA degrees in contemporary dance with student loans who have already got their level 6 diplomas . Whether this is due to confusion over the level of the diploma or whether people are not exactly truthful, i do not know but certainly i do not think anyone can choose a diploma over a degree thinking that it leaves the option open of doing a degree with student finance at a later date.