6th form or extended diploma

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: 6th form or extended diploma

Post by paulears »

The real need of the post 18 gtood places are people with talent and the ability to cope. They are VERY good at reading application forms, and people usually help or hinder themselves with these. They also really need to stretch them - hard. Somebody leaving is a wasted place, and lost income - so the people who do the application process are pretty skilled. As the courses at 16-18 all meet National Standards, that's not as important to them - they need evidence of performing ability, they love amdram and external to school dance classes - because this shows the passion they all claim to have. Having a real passion usually results in the question - tell me what you've been in, and school and college production really count very little here - because standards vary so much. When somebody pulls out programmes and photos this impresses them and it works.

Be positive - if they come across in the right way, and have what the school need (not would like) - it works brilliantly. Good luck.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I don't entirely agree.

Most drama schools audition everyone who applies and in many cases the first round (for actors) consists of your speeches and a very brief interview. There may also be more workshop style group auditions in the first round depending on the school.

Neither my son nor I had the opportunity to present a portfolio of any kind. I wasn't asked anything about my performance experience as such - though I was asked what I had last seen at the theatre.

One of the most charismatic and talented performers in my year had only ever done school plays.

I do think applicants need to show interest and knowledge - but I think most able applicants will do this quite naturally.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I follow you - but the last seen question is a good one, designed to check you've actually been to the theatre. Most people reveal themselves in some way with an experienced interviewer, it's what they're good at. They need to see the spark, that's it.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Well some good news at least. Eldest DD had interview for an illustration degree and got an unconditional offer on the spot :) Now just this decision on post 16 for DD2 to sort out. Lots of great replies to help. Thanks.