Advice on Auditions, Rejections etc

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lynne
GRAMMY Award

Re: Advice on Auditions, Rejections etc

Post by lynne »

Hi
Does anyone know what costs are involved for the NYT and the NYMT? I am really confused by the NYT website?
#-o
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I know that NYMY is several hundred pounds if you get in to the company. I think they're quite keen for you to fund raise, and offer advice etc. That being said, it is quite a lot of money.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

NYT - most confusing website ever! - says:

Intake Acting Auditions
Audition for our Summer Acting Course which is an induction to membership. If you are aged 14-17 this will be our Junior Acting Course; if you are aged 18-25 you will be invited on to our 2 week acting course or 4 week epic stages course (for those more rounded theatre-practitioners).

Fee
A 2 week course will cost £450
The 4 week Epic stages course will cost £989 - 25% off for this year.
Please note in some cases we may be able to offer financial assistance as part of our bursary scheme. Information on how to apply will be sent to successful applicants.

Course Dates
All courses will be held in London.
The 2 week junior course (for those aged 14-17): 4th August - 15th August 2015 (inclusive)
The 2 week senior course (for those aged 18-21): 18th August - 29th August 2015 (inclusive)
The 4 week epic stages course (for those aged 18-25): 3rd August - 29th August 2015 (inclusive)
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

NYT is around £450 for the course and around £450 for accommodation in London if you need it, they will also need to buy food as they self cater. It was a real eye-opener for my 14 year old DD but she loved it!
NYMT varies depending on the length of the course but is an eye-watering £1250-1750 to include food and accommodation.
They do send fund raising packs with advice (NYT were particularly helpful I think)
Good luck!
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Hi
Thanks everyone! The NYMT course is very definitely out then! We are the squeezed middle, with a large mortgage and a son at University so not much funds and no help!
Thank you everyone for their replies, maybe we will look into the NYT for another year after we have saved up!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Local theatre groups are also really well worth checking out ... the Royal Exchange at Manchester for example has a fantastic young company ... many of whom are performing in the current production, Scuttlers. Members of the young company also had roles in Hamlet with Maxine Peake. I know there is a similar set-up at the Liverpool Everyman too. There really are some good and much less expensive options out there! Whereabouts are you based?
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

yes i agree Sapphire. We are close to both Liverpool and Manchester, so depending on what happens, will be checking out both these options
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Hi Sapphire
We are based within the M25, so mostly its West end or nothing and unfortunately dd is too old for all west end parts as she is 15 and over 5". Unfortunately my dd is the first in our family to want to go into MT and we were all unaware of the age restrictions of West end until it was too late. Even though she has been interested in MT since the age of 4, we didn't even consider the possibilities of her getting professional parts until a couple of years ago but she was by then 13!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

lynne wrote:Hi Sapphire
We are based within the M25, so mostly its West end or nothing and unfortunately dd is too old for all west end parts as she is 15 and over 5". Unfortunately my dd is the first in our family to want to go into MT and we were all unaware of the age restrictions of West end until it was too late. Even though she has been interested in MT since the age of 4, we didn't even consider the possibilities of her getting professional parts until a couple of years ago but she was by then 13!
I would still spend some time googling local theatres ... even smaller theatres do have community initiatives that can provide good quality and valuable experience. I know what it's like to arrive late to the party. DD only decided that acting & drama school was the path for her when she started looking at university courses at the end of Year 12! She did get straight into drama school from school but has always said she sometimes think it would have been better to have had a year out in retrospect. She is one of the youngest by far and looks even younger and has found that to be a real disadvantage. Hope you can find local opportunities to suit your DD [-o< [-o< [-o<
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I think if you google amateur dramatic groups for London or drama and musical theatre groups you will find that there are loads of them and I am sure some will have a youth section. I believe the Questers do but even without a specific youth section many groups will take on under 18s for specific productions. I'm not London based so I cannot really recommend any particular place from personal experience. I think you would need google and research anything that might fit your location and DDs interests.
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Thank you very much, I will look into it! :)
NiamhMurphy
BRIT Award

Post by NiamhMurphy »

I have been to Questors Youth Theatre (West London) for five years, and been involved with several productions which I always found to be fantastic- professional and wonderful experience! If you're interested, do PM for more information :)
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Just noticed that new London dates have been added for the NYT in March ... might be worth checking out?

http://www.nyt.org.uk/events