September 2015

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

BlackSwan
BRIT Award

Re: September 2015

Post by BlackSwan »

Thank you Noggin, that's all very reassuring and helpful. Pearl, yes my son is on the FB page. It's somewhat ironic that those on a funded degree and those on the Diploma who are over 18 can enjoy a wider range of options that are much closer to college than the 16 year olds isn't it?! I have advised my son that once he gets to know his cohort and can make an informed decision and plan on who he shares with and where he lives I will support that. But at 16 and without prior knowledge of the individual personalities involved I want to secure him a more structured and supervised environment than a house share as a starting point. if I could pick up Guy Chester House and move it closer it would IMO be perfect!
Last edited by BlackSwan on Tue May 19, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pandora67
Nominee

Post by pandora67 »

Still no news on Dada from Conti :cry: am checking the post every day! Surely we've got to hear soon as the taster 3year diploma is next Tuesday!
BlackSwan
BRIT Award

Post by BlackSwan »

My sympathy Pandora, it's a trial for both parents and potential students to play this waiting game!

We were lucky in that my son didn't audition until very recently and it took relatively little time to understand our position and the funding that was on offer from his two top choices, still every day of waiting seemed very long though.

All the best to those still waiting and fingers crossed they all get the offers of funding from the schools they most want to attend.

As a by the way, I have spoken with Urdang today and Guy Chester House is well thought of by their admissions department, especially for younger students or those away from home for their first year. Apparently students very typically work out friendship groups and move closer in house shares etc after their first year to be closer to college and cut down on journey time as their agenda gets busier, but not because of any other issues or dissatisfaction with Guy Chester.

When I compare £6.5 k with food and no travel costs to £11k without, for me it's a no brainier and I really hope that others end up feeling the same and that the group of students that go there end up becoming a close and supportive group in the future?!

If it looks like there is enough interst, perhaps another thread entitled Guy Chester House might be worth while, what do others think, would that be useful for both the kids and the Moms do you think??
Mummyaud
BRIT Award

Post by Mummyaud »

Still no news on Dada from Conti :cry: am checking the post every day! Surely we've got to hear soon as the taster 3year diploma is next Tuesday!
I called today. The admissions officer is away now until June so I doubt any letters will be received before next week. There will be quite a lot of people at the assessment day next week who have not had any communication about funding I think. I was advised last week when I rang that those who have not yet been offered a DADA are on reserve list as all initial offers have been made. I think it is a bit unfair on the DCs for them to attend next Tuesday with no real idea of whether they will be able to take up their place or not. The threatened train strike will make travel to central London very difficult next Tuesday morning if it goes ahead as I believe both trains and tubes could be affected. 8-[
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

We've still heard nothing from Italia Conti either. If this train strike goes ahead I doubt we'll be able to get down next Tuesday anyway, and I don't think it will be worth the extra time and expense of staying longer in London sadly. :( :x
pandora67
Nominee

Post by pandora67 »

When I finally got frustrated with this endless waiting game with Conit I emailed the admissions secretary and the first email said "away for a couple of weeks," then immediately after I got a second email to say " I'll be back after 8th Sept( that must be a mistake)! :?
sarah761
Nominee

Post by sarah761 »

Hi black swan
is there lots of availability at this accommodation? Was ruling out my dd attending funding recalk for urdang due to living costs but that sounds much more manageable. ..
BlackSwan
BRIT Award

Post by BlackSwan »

Hi Sarah,
They do have availability at the moment - don't know how much but applying and receiving confirmation only took 48 hours in our case. Given the developing interest though I would get a wiggle on soon.
All best wishes
Last edited by BlackSwan on Tue May 19, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarah761
Nominee

Post by sarah761 »

Haven't had recall yet black swan .....but good to inow. Did urdang give you the contact details?
BlackSwan
BRIT Award

Post by BlackSwan »

Yes they sent an accomodation list to us after confirming his funding award - I hope all goes well at the next recall Sarah x

Please note all that I have started a new thread on Chester House so that this thread doesn't get hijacked by accomodation chat.
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

We got 'THE' letter from Urdang today, dd didn't get onto the degree but got 40% funding for diploma. Obviously a great achievement but one we unfortunately wont be able to afford, all absolutely gutted for her :( after all this waiting time its definitely not what she wanted to hear, anyone else in the same position? Also curious as to why she didn't get the degree, as well as being trained equally in all 3 disciplines, her predicted a level grades are 2 A's and D*D for her BTEC, clearly they don't look at grades as much as we had hoped! Is there any way of getting feedback from them regarding their decision?
BlackSwan
BRIT Award

Post by BlackSwan »

Thats rough Dancingmoll - so sorry for your daughter, she is obviously talented to have got this award and i am sorry its not enough to make it affordable.
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

It is lovely seeing all the good news of offers and funding :) I'm sort of missing it this year, despite the stress it causes.

DD is loving the training at Urdang and currently waiting to find out which numbers she will be in for the summer show. The Diploma students are all finding out which 'track' they've been placed on for 2nd year.

Dancingmoll, so sorry that the funding offer isn't enough to help your DD - they clearly liked her to have offered a bursary! It might be worth asking them how she scored across the disciplines (they can only say no or ignore you, so nothing to lose). Also make it clear that she can't accept the offer but would still like the degree if a place becomes available, you never know!
borntoboogie
Nominee

Post by borntoboogie »

Hello! Has anyone found out if they've got a Betty Laine Scholarship?
Also, I've heard of LTA awards, where you get a small percentage off, can someone explain who gets these? Thank you!
pandora67
Nominee

Post by pandora67 »

Still waiting to hear from Conti re: DaDs and we are due to attend the taster on Tuesday. It's not fair if the DaDA is a NO as DD hopes will be dashed and Tues will be a complete waste of time!!!