September 2015

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mummyaud
BRIT Award

Re: September 2015

Post by Mummyaud »

My DD looks forward to meeting your DD Dancediva. She won't know anyone so will be keen to make friends. My DD will be commuting each day (an hour by train each way). Does your DD have accommodation in London? We really enjoyed the open day yesterday and met a friend who is a first year diploma student there which was nice. Bit worrying that they said yesterday they saw 1700 people for less than 150 places - seem such an impossible long shot. Got to be in it to win it I suppose.
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Mummyaud wrote:Bit worrying that they said yesterday they saw 1700 people for less than 150 places - seem such an impossible long shot. Got to be in it to win it I suppose.
Is that 150 places just on the diploma or including the degree? My dd is on the degree at Urdang and I think there are about 70 in 1st year, split into 4 or 5 groups for most classes. They doubled the intake for degree last year thanks to the new building.
There is no denying that competition for places is tough but just to reassure you, most of those 1700 will be auditioning at multiple schools which all have places to offer, so the statistics aren't quite as bad as they may seem. :)
Good luck x
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Most of the schools take between 1 in 8 and 1 in 12 (it seems) - at least that was what was quoted last year

However despite multiple applications the best get multiple offers; so I'm not sure if the ratio is for offers or acceptances
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Those odds seem much better than some of the casting dd has been for! I thought 1 in 8 or 1 in 12 was pretty good odds. Good luck for all those applying.
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

They told us that there were about 80 on the diploma and 60 on the degree!
Bring it on!!!
Robsmumma
GRAMMY Award

Post by Robsmumma »

Around 80 in a year ar Laine, from 2000 applicants!
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

The odds really differ depending whether you need funding, or not...
One of the schools dd auditioned at 3 years ago said they had just over 1000 auditionees for 70 places, so that would be about 1 in 14... But, there were about 180 at the funding audition, so they had actually offered places to 1 in 6! (They clearly know that the majority of those won't end up taking up the place as they either go elsewhere or don't get a DaDA so simply can't afford the fees)
At that time they had a specific number of DaDAs (rather than a pot of funding like they have now) and I think they had 30 DaDAs - so 1 in 6 of the students with places would be offered a DaDA... meaning that from the original 1000 applicants, DaDAs were given to 1 in 33.
So although the final acceptance was 1 in 14, the odds for getting offered the place were 1 in 6 but the odds of getting the funding were 1 in 33, which is quite a difference isn't it :-/
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Don't be put off by these figures. Arts Ed take on around 1% of those auditioning, but somebody has to be in that 1%. It is not purely down to ability alone with these places. They are looking for trainability, passion and a hunger succeed. Don't worry about the statistics - they're just depressing and off putting. Just go along to the auditions with the aim of having a great day's experience. My ds went along to his final audition with this attitude as he hadn't got in anywhere else. He was successful and has just graduated and gone straight into work.
All new to me!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I agree with Caroline to not be put off by the figures. We were told 1 in 8-10 of being offered a place but more like a 1 in 12-14 for funding from various schools when DD auditioned but what you have to remember is that your DC chances are the same as everyone else and someone will get the places and the funding. If you don't try, you don't get. My DD viewed each of her auditions as a fantastic experience to take classes in colleges, from new teachers, an opportunity some people might never have and she thoroughly enjoyed and felt she gained from each audition experience.
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Absolutely agree with Caroline and dancersmum - statistics are scary reading but someones going to get those places it may well be your dd/ds ;) My dd was lucky enough to go at 16 but some students in her year are over 20 so don't be put off, enjoy all the experiences and learn from them, once they graduate they will all be back in the same pot auditioning for the same jobs - even more scary!! Good luck to you all and hang in there :lol: xxx
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Nobody is trying to put anybody off :? I think 1 in 6 is a very favourable statistic, much better than many top academic universities.
Mummyaud
BRIT Award

Post by Mummyaud »

Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice, as you say odds may not be quite what they first seem. I am sure it will all be good life experience and place will be firmly booked at local college to do A levels if the elusive DADA is not to be.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Have seen on the Twittersphere that some Laine's offers have been sent. Any DC already in the wonderful position of have in a place and funding already?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Wow!

We have forms filled in & ready to go when photos & school references are ready

DD is aiming for auditions in Feb/Mar so she has recovered from not dancing in December and ha had 2/3rds of her pre-voc
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Yes, I saw that Urdang diploma offers started going out a couple of weeks ago too. It seems early doesn't it! Funding and Degree offers aren't usually made until after the recall audition rounds which are in the Spring.
Exciting, nerve wracking time, good luck to those going through it this time x