September 2015

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Re: September 2015

Post by dancingmoll »

is the diploma at Bird organised in a similar way to that at Urdang? With different tracks and what not decided in the second year?
MoviemiteMum
BRIT Award

Post by MoviemiteMum »

Good morning everyone.

I was one of the original members of this forum when my ds was doing the rounds of West End theatre auditions, many years ago! I haven't been on here for quite a number of years now but wanted to join this thread about September because my ds is now in the same position as many on this thread (although he is 20, so a little older than most on here).

My ds completed his GCSEs and then did A levels. For the last two years he has been doing an audition preparation course at Stageworks in St Neots (which I would highly recommend, by the way) and now has an offer at LSC on the degree course. Yesterday, he found out he has been offered a Leverhulme Scholarship of £3,000 towards the first year's fees (which are £13,500). The letter says that they can't guarantee the funding will be offered for subsequent years. Because it is a private degree course, he can only get a student loan of £6,000 which leaves £4,500 for us to find for the first year (and potentially £7,500 for the following 2 years).

What I was wondering is whether anyone knows of others who have been offered scholarships at LSC and if so, what the percentage is of those who subsequently get awards for the remaining 2 years.

We really want him to take up the place and somehow have to find the £4,500 for this year but if he didn't get the funding for years 2 and 3, I really don't know how we would fund it (unless we have won the lottery by then)!

It's lovely to be back!
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Hi MoviemiteMum,

I don't know about scholarships for subsequent years but my DS received a letter yesterday from LSC offering him a scholarship from the Widening Participation Fund for £7,500. Again, it only talks about 2015/2016 so I don't know what would happen after. He has actually decided to go elsewhere so he won't be taking it up. It does say to contact them immediately if he doesn't wish to take it up so that they can consider other candidates so perhaps it would be worth a telephone call next week to see whether any more funds are available and to ask the question about subsequent years.

Hope this helps.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

If funding weren't available in subsequent years a Career Development loan might be an option - they are over 2 years with I think fixed interest but must be paid back over 5 years starting pretty soon after the course finishes
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

New Performer's College promo video which looks fab - if anyone wants to take a look and is looking at or considering Performers

https://youtu.be/bxYHKtOKJkI
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
MoviemiteMum
BRIT Award

Post by MoviemiteMum »

Thanks ajbew,

That's good to know. I may well give them a call next week then.
MoviemiteMum
BRIT Award

Post by MoviemiteMum »

Thanks Katymac,

That's also very useful to know. We'll definitely look into that as an option for next year.

I knew it would be useful posting in here again after so many years!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Don't forget also that you can apply to charitable trusts for funding - your local library will hold a directory though you may be able to find application forms and details of how to apply on line. National charities and charitable trusts often have a list of conditions and we were advised to apply locally. We did not have much luck (our area seemed to like them to be under 16 or over 18 and DD went to vocational school at 16) but we do know people who got £1000 from one trust, £500 from another. It does mean doing your research and filling in online applications or writing to people but the time can be worth it. Others we know have done fundraising - some through sites like 'Go Fund Me' and others have done anything from car washing to sponsored walks/danceathons to organising local fashion shows or concerts.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

i thought it was an amazing video Riverdancefan

I saw the Pre-voc show on Sunday night & I thought it excellent; if they are that good after 1 year, imagine after another 3 =D> \:D/ =D>

Edited to add

I forgot to say some of the pre-vocs (including DD) have been asked to dance at the FA Cup Final on Saturday at Wembley - they are down their today rehearsing

Which is very exciting imo
willowolf
Nominee

Post by willowolf »

Hi, My Daughter has got a scholarship, to SLP in Leeds just looking at all the add on costs etc, Physiotherapy insurance? Can anyone recommend a good company to go with?
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

ajbew wrote: don't know about scholarships for subsequent years but my DS received a letter yesterday from LSC offering him a scholarship from the Widening Participation Fund for £7,500.
hiya..how do you apply for that funding?
Thank you x
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
willowolf
Nominee

Post by willowolf »

Hey Just wanted to share some good news, I note most of the posts in here are for the bigger schools in London, but my daughter has just been awarded a DaDa instead of the initially offered scholarship for SLP College in Leeds. :D

She wants to go to Urdang (that's her first choice) and is on the waiting list, if she accepts the DaDa at Leeds (It was her 2nd choice school) if Urdang were to offer her a DaDa does that mean she couldn't accept it? I am not really sure how this all works? And I need to sort Physiotherapy insurance, any recommendations?

Any advice gratefully received.
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

Hi MoviemiteMum,

Surely in addition to the tuition loan there is an entitlement to the maintenance loan? And possibly a maintenance grant dependant on income.
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

He didn't apply for that Jasmine2 as we didn't know there was funding available apart from the student tuition and maintenance loan. He was offered the place after the first audition (he was lucky and didn't have to attend the recall) and then the funding just came out of the blue yesterday!
MoviemiteMum
BRIT Award

Post by MoviemiteMum »

Hi jasmine2 - The application for funding was part of the audition process for LSC.

Ajbew - That must have been a lovely surprise for you. I have mentioned to my son that it might be worth giving them a call to see if there is any chance of further funding but he thinks it sounds a bit rude to say "thanks for the £3,000 but can I have more?" I can't find anything on their website about the "Widening Participation Fund" - do you know what criteria they measure against for that award (ie is it means tested?). I still might give them a call anyway to ask about the likelihood of getting funding for subsequent years. I would hate to manage to fund this year only to have to pull him out of the 2nd and 3rd years. Hopefully, it would be down to how he performs during his first year in which case his destiny would be in his own hands!

Moleseymum - I had thought about the maintenance loan - luckily he will be able to live at home and drive in each day so won't have high living costs, just travel costs. He has a part time job which he will be able to keep which should give him some money to live on. The only problem is that we would need to find the money before the maintenance loan is paid (they pay it in 3 termly instalments and the fees have to be paid by 1st September) - it's definitely a possibility and would certainly help towards it.