September 2015

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Re: September 2015

Post by dancingmoll »

Hi all, I recently started a thread called 'Year Off' just to get some ideas on what my DD can do next year in order to prepare for re-auditioning. If any of your children have been in the same position and you feel you've got any useful tips or ideas please share, thank you :)
Recless
BRIT Award

Post by Recless »

ryans mum wrote:My son has been offered places on degree courses in MT at Mountview and Trinity Laban. Can anyone give me any information on the Trinity course or which has the better reputation?

Thank you.
I think TrinityLaban is a dance and music conservative with 2 separate parts. Laban is an excellent contemporary dance school (my DD enjoyed a summer school there). Trinity is a music school. Their music theatre course is run by the music part of the school and I believe the course is quite new.
Mountview has a fantastic reputation for musical theatre and it's graduates are very successful. If it was my DD with the choice I would be strongly encouraging her to accept Mountview. Your DS has certainly done very well to be offered a place at Mountview!!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

The musical theatre schools are very open when candidates apply that the chances of getting in first year are slim. There are exceptions of course, but I really believe that they want to find out if you REALLY want it ! Going back for another year shows determination .
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Meant to say that we know people who Hv dropped out of trinity this year. At audition they got to use lovely studios and then got to use really grotty studios on a completely different site for the course.They were really disappointed with a lot of the teaching too. On a plus side Mountview comes up in loads of theatre programme biographies. To me that says a lot.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Mountview have an excellent reputation in the musical theatre world. I also would be recommending them over Trinity Laban. Trinity Laban may well have an excellent course but Mountview is "tried and tested". Nice to be in that position though of having to make a choice!
All new to me!
Foreverdancing
Nominee

Post by Foreverdancing »

Laban has an excellent reputation as a contemporary school but I had never even heard of the MT course so perhaps that speaks somewhat of their reputation in that field! Obviously, if it is new, that explains it to some extent but maybe you don't want to be a guinea pig!!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I know some exceptional performers who did MT degrees at Laban.. And as DS dances there on their performance team, I have been lucky enough to hear some of them sing as well.

If
You check out the tutors you will see they are very well respected :-)
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Losingtheplot
BRIT Award

Post by Losingtheplot »

My DD has completed her auditions and is currently on reserve for the degree at LSC and on the waiting list for a DADA at Performers. Does anyone know if everyone who does not secure a place gets offered a reserve at LSC and how likely spaces become available?
I have registered her on the pre/voc at Performers where a non-refundable deposit of £1k is required by 1st July and was wondering what the likihood of hearing anything before then. LSC have stated that reserves may not be reviewed until July and Performers had not had any movement when I spoke to them last week. It is hard to know what to do for the best. My DD is keen to enrol on a 3 year course rather than the pre-voc but unfortunately we can't afford Performers without the DADA. If anyone has any experience of how these lists work and can offer me any advice I would be most grateful :D
Last edited by Losingtheplot on Thu May 28, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
performmum
BRIT Award

Post by performmum »

Hi losing the plot

Have you asked performers where on the waiting list your dd is? Even if they tell you if she is top middle or bottom third it may give you some sort of indication. I believe that there are around 60 on the list currently.
I do know of people who didn't get confirmed places until the beginning of August last year! Is it worth asking Performers if you pay the deposit for the pre voc would they then consider using it to offset things like the physio scheme, the theatre fund & t shirt, if she then got a DADA. It wouldn't give you the full deposit back but it would give you around half of it.
Your in a really Difficult situation and I don't envy you. I'm sure stress levels in your house are high!!
Good luck :?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Oh yes the add-on costs for Performers are £675!!
Losingtheplot
BRIT Award

Post by Losingtheplot »

Thanks Performmum. DD was told she is in top section of the list at Performers with a few above her. Thanks for the advice regarding deposit and current numbers on list. Worth a try. I don't want to leave things to the last minute but it's looking like its going to be a drawn out waiting game. I hope my nerves can cope!
willowolf
Nominee

Post by willowolf »

Still waiting.....

Urdang admission person (Will Bird) has e-mailed my Daughter and said her application will be taken back to the panel next week, not really sure what that means (She is on a waiting list for a DaDa for Diploma) so assuming it means will be reviewed?

Cambridge have said still on reserve list for DaDa

SLP have offered her a scholarship but not a full one so with rent and everything that will be extremely tight, may be not possible :( She has been told she is 2nd on the reserve list for a DaDa but they also said last year no one turned down the DaDa they were offered.

I am not enjoying the waiting game at all... . Wish firm decisions would be made :(

It's hard, she may have to do a pre-voc for a year locally as everything she applied for she got in, just she hasn't (at the moment) been lucky enough to secure funding. The ones above she is on reserve list for funding :( I wish they would just be able to use student finance like other courses!
Foreverdancing
Nominee

Post by Foreverdancing »

Frustrating as it is, I don't think that it is ever possible to judge how much movement there will be on a waiting list as reasons to decline a place are often very personal and movement really does depend on the decision of individuals with offers! Don't forget, though, that as well as people turning down actual offers, people above you on the waiting list may decide not to accept for various reasons so things may move more quickly than you expect. Of course, it maybe that in a given year, no one turns down a place so while it is good to know if there has been movement it doesn't necessarily reflect a personal opportunity!!
Last edited by Foreverdancing on Wed May 27, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
princess1
BRIT Award

Post by princess1 »

This has been the most stressful,scariest and longest thing we have ever done!!! My DD has a place on the degree course at LSC and she is accepting the place but this doesn't have to be confirmed until the 30th June! I don't think Bird have released their Dada offers yet either! So I guess there won't be movement until this happens!
Losingtheplot
BRIT Award

Post by Losingtheplot »

That will explain why LSC won't be reviewing the reserve list until July. Oh well more waiting but at least we know where we stand for now at least. Thanks for the update princess1 and congratulations to your DD in securing a place. :D