September 2015

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

pandora67
Nominee

Re: September 2015

Post by pandora67 »

Recless

DD has 6th form offer from Arts and would love love love to go there but funding is an issue ! We have funding for the 1st year from kind family member! Second year is an issue! Brits great too but really hoping for a Dada from Conti for 3year diploma. Conti and Arts have such a history in musical theatre!
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

It was a no from Laines for dd but at least now we know.

She will be going to Urdang in September which I am delighted about as it means she won't have to leave home ( I would miss her!) and also we won't have any accomodation to pay for.

Spoke to Birds this morning too, they are still compiling their list as auditions only finished last week, she said that people should know by beginning of June where they are on the list. Doesn't matter for us as Laines and Urdang where dd's top choices :D

Good Luck to all still waiting, I hope you don't have to wait too long xx
Bring it on!!!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

They all seem to take an inordinately long time about everything (apart from cashing cheques ;) )
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Ah that's a shame Pearl but like you say she will be going to one of her top choice colleges and be able to stay at home - like you I was lucky dd could remain at home! Dd has several friends at Urdang who all love it I have no doubt your dd will have a wonderful time :D at least you can now concentrate on finishing school and preparing for September - fingers crossed for those still waiting for results and making decisions ️xxx
Lorry
BRIT Award

Post by Lorry »

No here too from Laines for DD, she can now concentrate on accommodation etc for LSC
Recless
BRIT Award

Post by Recless »

Sorry to those receiving a no to funding from Laine today. Pearl my DD has been on the foundation course at Urdang this year and has had the most brilliant time. The teachers are great and there is a fantastic atmosphere at the school. She saw the 3rd year show and said it was amazing!! I am sure your DD will have a great time there.
squashballs
Nominee

Post by squashballs »

Yeah, it is a 'no' for a DADA at Laine for us too according to today's email. Her first big disappointment. We can't afford Laine without funding. So it's still either degree at Urdang or degree at Bird and she is thinking Bird. It's good to have things falling into place. Good luck to all those still waiting.
Dizzydora
Nominee

Post by Dizzydora »

Just wondering about laines it looks like it's mainly girls 16 year olds that have a no and mainly boys that have a dada
squashballs
Nominee

Post by squashballs »

Betty loves the boys - and to be honest, no wonder - from what I have seen of them at Laines, they are the creme de la creme. My DD hasn't secured a DaDA there and she is 18, so older students are also being eliminated.
Lorry
BRIT Award

Post by Lorry »

My daughter also 18 and hasn't secured Dada at Laines
Dancingmad
Nominee

Post by Dancingmad »

Are any of your Dds on the reserve list at Laine or was it a straight no. Still well done to all your DC who have got offers, it's a fantastic achievement. =D>
BlackSwan
BRIT Award

Post by BlackSwan »

I posted the following message below on the LSC thread re:but it occurred to me after, that I may have been better off posting here instead - apologies therefore for the double up!

My 16 year old DS has just learnt that he has been awarded a scholarship at Urdang Academy on the Diploma Course. We are delighted for him but have had a challenging few days researching and worrying about the cost of accommodation in Central London and trying to find an affordable, safe, well located option. We have rang every halls of residence on the Urdang recommended list, regrettably many are for students over 18 years olds and those that will take under 18 year olds are neither on the door step, nor affordable i.e. most circa £250/280/300 plus a week

By comparison to any other option we have looked up on the internet, emailed or spoken to on the phone, Alison and another lady (sorry don't know her name) at Guy Chester House have been by far the most accommodating, responsive and informative of all. They are very encouraging and supportive of young performing arts students and report to have a number of students every year from LSC, Mountview, Central Ballet and Urdang Academy. The rooms look basic and not particularly trendy, but they are very clean, reasonably bright and fully furnished. Guy Chester is a registered charity located in Muswell Hill, N7, subsidised by the Methodist church, albeit any faith and non faith students are welcomed, I am assured there is no bible bashing and that religion isn't a key feature, but that Christian values are expected to be respected. It was especially set up to provide affordable safe accommodation for young students living in London for the first time. They have apparently invested recently in their common rooms, dining rooms, games and cinema rooms, gym and dance studios with barre and mirrors. They won a best in class award in 2014 for student satisfaction and the environment looks and comes across as safe, secure and welcoming. The catering is meant to be very well thought of with cooked breakfasts and hot evening meals and salad bars with various options included Mon-Fri and they have a 5 star rating for food hygiene. Lunches are also included at weekends.

Single rooms with a washbasin are £176 inclusive of meals and all bills, which after looking at all other options looks exceptionally good value to me. They only charge you for the academic year and give a 50% discount at Easter and Christmas for unused weeks (unlike most other central London locations who want to charge for 51 weeks regardless)

The only downside I can see is that although the buses stop directly outside of Chester House and go to Angel (only a short walk to Urdangs facilities from there) the journey is apparently 40-45 minutes in length. Bus travel is free for u 18 London resident students, so once they are confirmed as resident then they can apply for a free pass, so that's another saving. In an ideal world my son would have liked to avoid a long journey so although we have reserved a room we will keep looking for alternatives but I think realistically for his first year in London this will be the one and I am hopeful that other young dancing students and parents conclude the same and that there will be a good clutch of dancing and performing arts students all able to travel in and out together, which will make the travel less of a drudge and provide safety in numbers during the late nights.

Please let me know if you are a Mum who ends up drawing similar conclusions or indeed a Mum who has a student at Guy Chester and are wiling to share your experience?

Many thanks
Black Swan
noggin
BRIT Award

Post by noggin »

BlackSwan wrote:I posted the following message below on the LSC thread re:but it occurred to me after, that I may have been better off posting here instead - apologies therefore for the double up!

My 16 year old DS has just learnt that he has been awarded a scholarship at Urdang Academy on the Diploma Course. We are delighted for him but have had a challenging few days researching and worrying about the cost of accommodation in Central London and trying to find an affordable, safe, well located option. We have rang every halls of residence on the Urdang recommended list, regrettably many are for students over 18 years olds and those that will take under 18 year olds are neither on the door step, nor affordable i.e. most circa £250/280/300 plus a week

By comparison to any other option we have looked up on the internet, emailed or spoken to on the phone, Alison and another lady (sorry don't know her name) at Guy Chester House have been by far the most accommodating, responsive and informative of all. They are very encouraging and supportive of young performing arts students and report to have a number of students every year from LSC, Mountview, Central Ballet and Urdang Academy. The rooms look basic and not particularly trendy, but they are very clean, reasonably bright and fully furnished. Guy Chester is a registered charity located in Muswell Hill, N7, subsidised by the Methodist church, albeit any faith and non faith students are welcomed, I am assured there is no bible bashing and that religion isn't a key feature, but that Christian values are expected to be respected. It was especially set up to provide affordable safe accommodation for young students living in London for the first time. They have apparently invested recently in their common rooms, dining rooms, games and cinema rooms, gym and dance studios with barre and mirrors. They won a best in class award in 2014 for student satisfaction and the environment looks and comes across as safe, secure and welcoming. The catering is meant to be very well thought of with cooked breakfasts and hot evening meals and salad bars with various options included Mon-Fri and they have a 5 star rating for food hygiene. Lunches are also included at weekends.

Single rooms with a washbasin are £176 inclusive of meals and all bills, which after looking at all other options looks exceptionally good value to me. They only charge you for the academic year and give a 50% discount at Easter and Christmas for unused weeks (unlike most other central London locations who want to charge for 51 weeks regardless)

The only downside I can see is that although the buses stop directly outside of Chester House and go to Angel (only a short walk to Urdangs facilities from there) the journey is apparently 40-45 minutes in length. Bus travel is free for u 18 London resident students, so once they are confirmed as resident then they can apply for a free pass, so that's another saving. In an ideal world my son would have liked to avoid a long journey so although we have reserved a room we will keep looking for alternatives but I think realistically for his first year in London this will be the one and I am hopeful that other young dancing students and parents conclude the same and that there will be a good clutch of dancing and performing arts students all able to travel in and out together, which will make the travel less of a drudge and provide safety in numbers during the late nights.

Please let me know if you are a Mum who ends up drawing similar conclusions or indeed a Mum who has a student at Guy Chester and are wiling to share your experience?

Many thanks
Black Swan
I would like to add that Muswell Hill where Guy Chester is located is a well sought after area in London and is in a particularly safe neighbourhood. The Angel Islington is also a very pleasant area and I have no hesitation allowing my 15 year old dd walk around there in the early evening. It is a bustling centre with commuters and local residents on the streets until late in the evening. I understand it can be extremely worrying allowing a young adult to move to London alone and am happy to answer any questions relating to the area as I live very close to Urdang.
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

Hi Black swan, my 16 year old dd is also going to Urdang in September. Has your ds joined the facebook page Urdang 2015 as my dd said there are lots of new students on there looking to share accommodation. It might be a cheaper option!
Bring it on!!!
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

noggin, have you ever thought of taking in lodgers?