Lots of luck to all auditionees! & a place to put results

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Megmar610
GRAMMY Award

Re: Lots of luck to all auditionees! & a place to put result

Post by Megmar610 »

Bop2thetop my DD got that impression from bird, it was always her favourite and where she definitely wanted to go but after the audition she completely changed her mind, she is on the waiting list for the diploma but not really bothered now. She has been offered other places where she thinks they her will give her the all round training.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Katkit- I really hope your DD is starting to feel better. It's really not what you want at an important time like this but they usually bounce back quite quickly so here's hoping your DD does too.

Megmar610 - Yes I agree. My DD got the impression the musical theatre side of it wasn't very important at all. (May be someone who goes to Bird can shed some light on whether it is or not). Although she's a good dancer her strength and passion is more on the Musical theatre side. She felt it was more 'commercial' which she doesn't think is her best discipline. They're all different though aren't they and when they audition they are searching for where will suit them too. Where has your DD been offered places? We have recalls at Urdang and GSA in a couple of weeks so keeping everything crossed for them. :)
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Hi there

DD is in her 2nd year at Bird……and whilst she says that the primary focus is definitely dance (Bird has always been a dance college), they do have Singing every day and about 4 hours of Acting and 4 hours of Musical Theatre every week. DD is a very strong dancer but at her audition (a couple of years ago, obviously!) the panel did spend quite a bit of time with her on her singing and acting (asking her to sing other songs and talking to her about her song and monologue choices) but she did say that a lot of other people seemed to be in and out of that section very quickly.

I don't know if that helps at all……just our experience!!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Until about a year ago dh used to teach singing at Bird. He lived working there & it was seen as a very important part of the training. However I personally felt that the dance was seen as the most important bit if the audition as they were confident they could train the singing whereas if the dance wasn't already strong they wouldn't cut it.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Thanks very much for your feedback about Bird. It's very interesting and helpful. I think different colleges are probably looking for slightly different things and maybe Bird don't rate the singing and acting to be as important as dance but somewhere like GSA I think put singing before dance. That's why it's important to work out where is the best place for each individual to go. My DD said she would like to go somewhere where each discipline was taught more or less equally. And then she's got to get in there. Haha. Easier said than done though. It's all a learning curve. Thanks again for your help! :)
katkit
BRIT Award

Post by katkit »

Thank you for your kind words, DD cancelled her Urdang and London Studio auditions which were last weekend :( She's feeling much better now, and had her Millenium audition yesterday. She had a fantastic time, loved the teachers....quote, unquote "I am in awe of them".

I normally go with DD to auditions so I can be there to support, and also check out the college for myself. Unfortunately I couldn't make it yesterday (work in a school and we got the dreaded Ofsted call for Tuesday and Wednesday) So, not as if my stress levels are already shy high!!

Katy, out of curiousity, what did your DD think of Millenium vs Cambridge? She's been offered both colleges, is that right?

Nerve-wracking times for everyone xx
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

It's hard as she was offered 'Foundation' from Bodyworks and 'Diploma' from Millennium

She felt (& she says it was just an impression) Bodyworks was smaller & not London - much closer to home

But she visited Millennium much earlier for a course (Lion King - favourite musical ever!) but the one we booked for Bodyworks was cancelled - so her soft spot Millennium could have been familiarity.
katkit
BRIT Award

Post by katkit »

DD 'LOVED' the teachers at Millenium - felt very inspired by the day. She had London Studio Centre audition today, she didn't feel it would be the 'one' for her. Tomorrow is 'The Centre'. Does anyone have any experience of The Centre? Their 'Move It 2014 reel looks really fantastic!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Can you link the Centre's video?

I can't see any of Millennium at Move it on You Tube & their website is awful!
katkit
BRIT Award

Post by katkit »

Can't link from my phone but if you search "the centre PAC- Red-Hot move it 2014" you'll find it x
performmum
BRIT Award

Post by performmum »

Hi New to this - but I am hoping that someone will be able to provide advice. My DD has been offered foundation at Urdang and 3 year diploma a Millennium. Urdangs reputation speaks for itself - but makes more sense to have a full course. However we don't know much about Millennium and it seems to have a very low profile. DD also though school was tired - and didn't really love it. Does any one know anything about Millennium or know anyone who has trained there, that can provide advice re the school. Any advice gratefully received thanks :D
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

DD's teacher knows some of the teaching staff & thinks it's up and coming

But tbh for me it's the feel of the place & DD loved it!!

I liked the area (& the Tescos) and it's fairly easy to get to.

The head did a talk at the open day & I liked his attitude; I think their biggest downfall is their website - it's really old fashioned and out of date. I liked the big studios and the airiness of it.
performmum
BRIT Award

Post by performmum »

Thank you - is your DD going to go there? My DD wasn't sure on the area either - but to be fair she didn't see much of it. Do you know how well students from there get on after graduating?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I hope so (DaDA pending)

there is this page http://hol215.wix.com/mpa-theatre-schoo ... stin/c17ij but I don't know how up-to-date it is
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Performmum- Sorry I don't know anything about Millenium. How olds your DD? I was just thinking if she did a foundation course first for a year would she then be of an age she could audition for degree courses and then get student funding? So much to consider I know but I just thought I'd mention.