Bristol old vic

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

CAH123
BRIT Award

Bristol old vic

Post by CAH123 »

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this drama school? Im hoping to apply for next september.
Also i noticed they require an audition song too, however im not a brilliant singer so was wondering if this would be a problem?
Thanks!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: Bristol old vic

Post by sapphire »

DD auditioned there this year ... it was not her first choice and was her very first audition. She didn't feel it went well and didn't get a good vibe from the place but that could be for lots of reasons.

The first round audition is literally a 10 minute affair - you go in, do your monologues, do your song, do some sight reading, they ask a few questions and then off you go. DD's thanks, but no thanks e-mail arrived the next morning :/

Re. the song, they are not expecting you to be a fantastic singer for a straight acting course as far as I am aware. However, a lot of schools do ask you to sing at the auditions, so some lessons might be worthwhile over the summer to help boost your confidence. DD had a handful of lessons with a local singing teacher which helped her with song choice, technique and general delivery. To her surprise, she even got complemented on her song at one audition which she not not expecting at all as a singer she ain't :D
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

BOVTS has an excellent reputation in the industry. They have a very smal intake and take more males than females.

I think Sapphire's point about "vibe" is really important. What suits one applicant won't necessarily suit another, though I think quick first round auditions probably don't give you enough information to be absolutely sure about a school - though maybe sometimes they do!

If you get a recall, I think this is when you can often get a bit more of a feel about a place. I do think those first round "do your speeches and then go" are a bit demoralising - I think you can really only feel good about them if you get a recall! At least if you've had a full morning or afternoon at a school and done some workshop style auditions as well as your speeches, you can feel that you've had a bit more of a chance to show them who you are and what you can do. Unfortunately this is often what it's like in the profession too - auditions (especially first round) are often very speedy affairs.

At my first round audition at the Oxford School of Drama we had a movement workshop and at one point I found myself pretending to be a meerkat, along with several other applicants. I did think at the time "if this is what I have to do at drama school for a year, I shall want to shoot myself". However, I did get a recall and my experience at the recall was much better. I also came to appreciate and understand quite what was going on at that first round audition (and was quite a convert to "animal studies" by the end of my training). The point of this anecdote is that schools are looking at how "open" you are at auditions and I think you have to be very open minded and "go for it" even when you're given something that seems faintly ridiculous.

As for singing, I agree with Sapphire that you do not have to be a great singer to get a place on a straight acting course. I agree about the usefulness of a few singing lessons too, just to boost your confidence. :D
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

I was actually AMAZED by how much DD's singing improved with just a few lessons with a pro teacher ... he taught her some really useful tricks and her tone and expression improved no end. She used to go and practice her song with her old music teacher at school and he spotted the difference after a single lesson :shock:
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

BOV has a fantastic reputation. My DD auditioned there and would have gone in aheartbeat :D . She got a recall which she said was am amzing experience - a full day of workshops where you felt they really allowed you to show what you can do. The staff were excellent. She loved it there, unfortunately she did not get offered a place :( It is VERY competitive to get in. Quite a few of the applicants seemed to be mature students, there are about 12-14 accepted each year.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Selina2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Selina2 »

Yes, Bristol Old Vic is probably only second to RADA in reputation and prestige. My dd's friend went there and she and quite a few others in her graduating year were snapped up by top agents like Independent Talent. This is the review of their showcase this year:
http://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/revie ... graduating
Good luck :D
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

BOV is one of the top drama schools, and as said, intake of more males than females because there's more work for male actors - Heard differing reactions to their auditions process, and the school has to suit you as well as you suit them like all drama schools - but can't get much more prestigious than Bristol Old Vic, and as for singing ,your auditioning for Acting course not musical theatre, but being able to interpret a song to a reasonable standard is what is required - and agree with other posts, a few singing lessons to brush up is wise in preparation - more skills you can demonstrate, the more you can offer the school.
CAH123
BRIT Award

Post by CAH123 »

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I feel much more confident about the singing side of things now!
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

Hi - My DS is in his first year at BOV after 4 years of audition rounds at all the straight drama schools. I can answer any questions. Its my mastermind subject LOL
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Rhymie where is the like button? :D I hand it to your DS for 4 years auditioning. Well deserved place. Dd's friend got into GSA at her 3rd try. My nephew is auditioning for BOV in a couple of weeks and has recall for Bruford which he really likes. You have to admire them for doing these auditions. Hope your DS is enjoying BOV. X
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

Robin64 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:40 pm Rhymie where is the like button? :D I hand it to your DS for 4 years auditioning. Well deserved place. Dd's friend got into GSA at her 3rd try. My nephew is auditioning for BOV in a couple of weeks and has recall for Bruford which he really likes. You have to admire them for doing these auditions. Hope your DS is enjoying BOV. X
Ye we certainly need a like button.
Honestly 4 years of stress. But he knew where he wanted to be and was absolutely determined to get in and just worked and worked until he did it. He loves it there, its an amazing school with utterly dedicated teachers at the top of their game. Works from 8 - 6 every day and is in exactly the right place for him. I know that those who have seen me around know that each year he got to final rounds but just didn't believe enough in himself at the interviews (LAMDA, RWCDM, Drama Centre, BOV) Until finally, he did a Shawshank redemption parole interview haha. My advice is to just keep going and don't take a lesser school because you think they can't get into a top one. If you do that they are already on the back foot. Good luck everyone, ask anything, thats why I stuck around.