Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Tiptaptoe
Nominee
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Tiptaptoe » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:04 pm

daisy1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 am
Ooh, I’m really glad this thread has been started, I’ve been watching the 2019 one for a while, and now it’s our turn :shock:
DD is just finishing first year at sixth form and we’ve started doing some research in where to go next for a musical theatre BA. She’s strongest in singing and acting, and is a capable dancer, though she sees herself as weaker in this area. For that reason she’s decided not to investigate the more dancey colleges like Bird and Laine. We’ve been to Chichester last weekend and thought it was great, GSA is next weekend. On the list as well are Arts Ed, Mountview, Emil Dale, Trinity Laban, maybe Italia Conti and Performers (though are they also really dancey?) However loads of these don’t seem to do open days which seems to be a bit of a risk, if you apply to audition having never seen them? Are there others that we haven’t thought of which would play to her strengths? Any advice greatly appreciated!
Hello! I'd defineitly say dont dismiss Bird , they have started a new streaming system now where they have different tracks for students strengths. Theres a dance track for stronger dancers, a triple threat for dance singing and acting and then an actor singer track which accommodates more for those stronger students. DD knows lots of strong actor singers at bird on that track and they're loving it, still good amounts of dance but they play to their singing strengths more. Bird are definitely looking for different things when they audition now, not always just dancers:) hope this helps!

Lmum
BRIT Award
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Lmum » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi ,
Does anyone know how long LSC give you to accept an offer on Theatre Dance BA ?

lotsolaffs
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by lotsolaffs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Some interesting news .My DD was offered a foundation at ArtsEd, I called the finance dept to query something, it seems that the foundation course is awaiting validation to become a stand alone qualification that MAY OR MAY NOT come into effect this year.
This means that it would qualify for student finance and maintenance loan ,it would only qualify for the £6,000 ,there would still be a top up required and I would expect those top up fees to rise
There are at the moment 18 places available on a foundation there so wonder too if numbers would rise.

This is brilliant for any offered a foundation and as long as you pay your refundable deposit and request it back on time if the validation doesn't happen.
My daughter really didn't want to do a foundation so she has rejected her place,she would rather take a year out and earn some money. We have struggled financially this year and she can see how hard it is and wants to contribute to her own training. She may well regret saying no but she made a choice instead of rolling the dice.

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:34 pm

lotsolaffs wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:58 pm
Some interesting news .My DD was offered a foundation at ArtsEd, I called the finance dept to query something, it seems that the foundation course is awaiting validation to become a stand alone qualification that MAY OR MAY NOT come into effect this year.
This means that it would qualify for student finance and maintenance loan ,it would only qualify for the £6,000 ,there would still be a top up required and I would expect those top up fees to rise
There are at the moment 18 places available on a foundation there so wonder too if numbers would rise.

This is brilliant for any offered a foundation and as long as you pay your refundable deposit and request it back on time if the validation doesn't happen.
My daughter really didn't want to do a foundation so she has rejected her place,she would rather take a year out and earn some money. We have struggled financially this year and she can see how hard it is and wants to contribute to her own training. She may well regret saying no but she made a choice instead of rolling the dice.
Wow, what an incredibly mature daughter you have to have made this decision, I’m sure she will go far with that kind of attitude. From a parent of a daughter who is currently on a pre-voc course I know how expensive they are and funding would have helped immensely. This has cut down audition choices this year as we now can’t afford any top up fees so full student loan courses only can be applied for, of which there aren’t many! My daughter is fully aware of this and doesn’t complain that she has to maybe miss out on some of her preferred colleges. Hopefully what we are teaching them will make them more resilient for the future. Hope it all works out for your DD xxx

MTDreams
BRIT Award
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MTDreams » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:49 pm

lotsolaffs wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:58 pm
Some interesting news .My DD was offered a foundation at ArtsEd, I called the finance dept to query something, it seems that the foundation course is awaiting validation to become a stand alone qualification that MAY OR MAY NOT come into effect this year.
This means that it would qualify for student finance and maintenance loan ,it would only qualify for the £6,000 ,there would still be a top up required and I would expect those top up fees to rise
There are at the moment 18 places available on a foundation there so wonder too if numbers would rise.

This is brilliant for any offered a foundation and as long as you pay your refundable deposit and request it back on time if the validation doesn't happen.
My daughter really didn't want to do a foundation so she has rejected her place,she would rather take a year out and earn some money. We have struggled financially this year and she can see how hard it is and wants to contribute to her own training. She may well regret saying no but she made a choice instead of rolling the dice.
Thank you for that information lotsolaffs, that could come in useful. And good luck to your DD, that was a very mature decision she made.

tracyelwell
BRIT Award
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by tracyelwell » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 pm

My daughter audition for Bird College in November, it was the first audition and she was offered a place. She has since auditioned for Italia Conti and has also been offered a place on the Level 6 Diploma. When we were at Italia Conti yesterday, the Diploma Director said that he felt that auditioning early was better as it gives you time to decide if you have alot of offers.

My daughter has Urdang, Stella Mann and Performers lined up for the Level 6 course.

She has also auditioned for Brits School as an out of area student and has Emil dale.

My main concern now is the DaDA, Italia Conti won't contact until Spring for an application form to be completed and Bird College could be as late as late June before you start hearing. I cannot afford for her to go without a DaDA , does anyone know where else to go for funding. She is so excited and its a real accomplishment as she has only danced for 2 years and as for singing and drama only GCSE. Bird are normally able to fund all the students who need it and Italia Conti are offering Guildford if funding for Barbican site. Although the Barbican and Guildford sites are closing and a College of Excellence for Performing Arts is being built, where it hasn't been released yet.

But at our interview we were asked if we would be happy with a Guildford offer due to the closure.

Any advise would be great.
Last edited by tracyelwell on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm

tracyelwell wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 pm
My daughter audition for Bird College in November, it was the first audition and she was offered a place. She has since auditioned for Italia Conti and has also been offered a place on the Level 6 Diploma. When we were at Italia Conti yesterday, the Diploma Director said that he felt that auditioning early was better as it gives you time to decide if you have alot of offers.

My daughter has Urdang, Stella Mann and Performers lined up for the Level 6 course.

She has also auditioned for Brits School as an out of area student and has Emil dale.

My main concern now is the DaDA, Italia Conti won't contact until Spring for an application form to be completed and Bird College could be as late as late June before you start hearing. I cannot afford for her to go with a DaDA , does anyone know where else to go for funding. She is so excited and its a real accomplishment as she has only danced for 2 years and as for singing and drama only GCSE. Bird are normally able to fund all the students who need it and Italia Conti are offering Guildford if funding for Barbican site. Although the Barbican and Guildford sites are closing and a College of Excellence for Performing Arts is being built, where it hasn't been released yet.

But at our interview we were asked if we would be happy with a Guildford offer due to the closure.

Any advise would be great.
Would be interested to know more about the Italia Conti closures, my daughter has an audition coming up there for the Barbican one but not too happy if it’s then going to close, would be nice to know where it’s going to be (if she gets offered a place of course)

Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancemum1973 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:28 pm

tracyelwell wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 pm
My daughter audition for Bird College in November, it was the first audition and she was offered a place. She has since auditioned for Italia Conti and has also been offered a place on the Level 6 Diploma. When we were at Italia Conti yesterday, the Diploma Director said that he felt that auditioning early was better as it gives you time to decide if you have alot of offers.

My daughter has Urdang, Stella Mann and Performers lined up for the Level 6 course.

She has also auditioned for Brits School as an out of area student and has Emil dale.

My main concern now is the DaDA, Italia Conti won't contact until Spring for an application form to be completed and Bird College could be as late as late June before you start hearing. I cannot afford for her to go with a DaDA , does anyone know where else to go for funding. She is so excited and its a real accomplishment as she has only danced for 2 years and as for singing and drama only GCSE. Bird are normally able to fund all the students who need it and Italia Conti are offering Guildford if funding for Barbican site. Although the Barbican and Guildford sites are closing and a College of Excellence for Performing Arts is being built, where it hasn't been released yet.

But at our interview we were asked if we would be happy with a Guildford offer due to the closure.

Any advise would be great.
Do you mean you cannot afford for her to go WITH a Dada as you say above or WITHOUT a dada?

DadofACP
Nominee
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by DadofACP » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 am

Update on my son's BA MT auditions. He had 4 before christmas. Gsa, Urdang and Emil Dale were all no's, but we have a recall from PPA. He has 5 auditions coming up. Italia Conti end of this month (details of closures concern me), in Feb he has Trinity Laban, Performers, Leeds College of Music and Bird. Fingers crossed for more success in this 2nd round of auditions and good luck to all other forum members kids.

islandofsodor
BAFTA Award
Posts: 995
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by islandofsodor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 am

Dada's own rules state that funding can't be offered until after a date in March, possibly 31st March and after all auditionees have been seen and ranked. We found out in May at Hammond.
Everybody has the right to dream

tracyelwell
BRIT Award
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by tracyelwell » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 pm

I do mean WITHOUT, typo sorry!

When we had our interview the closure is mentioned and you are asked if you would be happy with a Guildford, Surrey offer. We asked where the new build would be and they are not willing to disclose yet as staff have not been told the location yet either. The closure is very hush hush. They just want to know students would be happy with Guildford. We were happy because although we don't live far we have decided where ever my daughter goes she will lodge as the days are hard and hectic and even the 40 min journey home I want her to have to avoid, if possible.

lotsolaffs
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by lotsolaffs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Unfortunately with DADA's it is a bit of a waiting game,which isn't much use I know.
I would love mine to be able to do a 40 min commute from home

MTDreams
BRIT Award
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MTDreams » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 pm

tracyelwell wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 pm
I do mean WITHOUT, typo sorry!

When we had our interview the closure is mentioned and you are asked if you would be happy with a Guildford, Surrey offer. We asked where the new build would be and they are not willing to disclose yet as staff have not been told the location yet either. The closure is very hush hush. They just want to know students would be happy with Guildford. We were happy because although we don't live far we have decided where ever my daughter goes she will lodge as the days are hard and hectic and even the 40 min journey home I want her to have to avoid, if possible.
Hi tracyelwell, this is interesting as I heard a rumour they were in financial trouble. We have Italia Conti down on DD's UCAS but it is the only place we haven't yet booked her audition for. Does this mean that they are planning on staying in Guilford, but just a different premises? Personally, I hope so as we like the area and its not too far to travel to.

tracyelwell
BRIT Award
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by tracyelwell » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm

They didn't say but I have come to that conclusion. Its worth auditioning still and depending on if they have told the staff where they are moving they maybe more open about it. They were very vague. They want to know if you, as a parent are supportive of your child's choice to study MT as they seems important to them, as she explained that there are a lot of parents who don't support this career.

They also ask about the future and then ask how you would feel about being offered a place at the Guildford site as the Barbican site is closing. Also a friend of ours, who is on the commitee for Italia Conti asked where my daughter had been offered a place because she knew they were selling the site in Barbican and she was interested in where the offer was. So not sure really. My daughter said she heard a couple of student talking on Thursday when we were at the Guildford site for a visit state that the new site is opening March, but this March or next was vague.

Neither Director mentioned the new build in the meeting, I don't know if they feel it would put people off, for me it is quite the opposite, I don't like the Barbican site, have you walked those stairs, wouldn't need to any dance classes after walking to the top! I know a great facility doesn't say great training, but Italia Conti is great training so it does not apply. My daughter also preferred the Guildford site.

lawn
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:19 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by lawn » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:14 am

Interesting news re Arts Ed foundation. Hopefully it will come to fruition and lead the path for others to follow suit. Over the few years I've been on here, I've noticed foundation courses becoming more usual before gaining a 3 yr place.

Over 12 months ago I started a thread about Italia Conti due to a newspaper article I'd seen. I put it on a different board to here because I'd only seen it reported it one place.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23183

Post Reply