Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
BAFTA Award
Posts: 940
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by islandofsodor » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:13 pm

The music colleges that are part of UCAS Conservatoires tend to audition around November time so the application deadline is 1st october for music courses. However the deadline for most of the dance, drama and musical theatre curses isn't until 15th January.
Everybody has the right to dream

Dancemum1973
Nominee
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancemum1973 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:35 am

daisy1 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 am
Hey all, just a bit confused about applying for different places! Some are through normal ucas (Chichester, GSA) some through ucas conservatoires (Trinity Laban) and some just straight to the colleges is that correct? Feeling a bit overwhelmed about where to start! DDs sixth form college has loads of information about how to apply for ‘normal’ university but not musical theatre/performing arts degrees. And as I understand it, applying to ucas conservatoires has an earlier application date? I’ve tried reading though some info online but I think I’ve got summer holiday brain - it’s all a bit scrambled :? Any advice greatly appreciated :)
Yes that’s correct. It seems to be almost different for each college and don’t get me started on the differences in fees and funding. I wish it was the same for each college. My daughter is applying to Bird and GSA through UCAS and then direct to the others she has chosen.

MygirlsloveMT
BRIT Award
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Dancemum1973 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:35 am
daisy1 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 am
Hey all, just a bit confused about applying for different places! Some are through normal ucas (Chichester, GSA) some through ucas conservatoires (Trinity Laban) and some just straight to the colleges is that correct? Feeling a bit overwhelmed about where to start! DDs sixth form college has loads of information about how to apply for ‘normal’ university but not musical theatre/performing arts degrees. And as I understand it, applying to ucas conservatoires has an earlier application date? I’ve tried reading though some info online but I think I’ve got summer holiday brain - it’s all a bit scrambled :? Any advice greatly appreciated :)
Yes that’s correct. It seems to be almost different for each college and don’t get me started on the differences in fees and funding. I wish it was the same for each college. My daughter is applying to Bird and GSA through UCAS and then direct to the others she has chosen.
It is a total minefield and you really have to do your research beforehand so your DC isn’t disappointed. DD auditioned this year and starts pre-voc at Performers in 2 weeks so we have this all to go through again next year. Performers was a direct application, Urdang and Bird were through Ucas. Just beware of fees as mentioned above, for example my daughter wanted to audition for Arts Ed but after student loan there is still another £8000 to pay so she didn’t bother in the end, no point auditioning if we know we can’t pay the annual fee. Good luck to your DC xx

Felicity
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Felicity » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am

Hi Daisy, I have been through this twice now with my DD so hopefully may have some useful feedback.

Before applying we made a table containing all the places she wanted to apply to with application deadline, entry / audition requirements, fees, funding routes (eg if eligible for a student loan etc), application route (eg direct, UCAS, CUCAS).

In terms of timing, the first time around when DD was in her final year of A-levels, she got her applications in early for all courses. The second time round DD applied later (after Christmas) to the institutions to whom a direct application is made. She also applied via UCAS nearer the deadline rather than straightaway. This was so she could get the most out of her Foundation course at Arts Ed before auditioning. She applied direct to Mountview (Arts was automatic as she was on the Foundation) and through CUCAS to Trinity Laban (they audition everyone during 2 weeks around the Feb half term) and through UCAS to GSA, Urdang, Bird, and Emil Dale. If I am remembering correctly, Emil Dale do things a bit differently and you can apply direct to audition there and then do the UCAS thing afterwards. She also applied to TBA but I can’t remember the route for that. Also be aware that for some of the institutions where you apply via UCAS, direct comms with extra info is also required eg dance pose photos for Bird.

There was a lot of auditioning and recalls from January through to April but it was worth it and DD learnt a lot from the auditioning process.

Lots of luck!

Dancemum1973
Nominee
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancemum1973 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Felicity wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am
Hi Daisy, I have been through this twice now with my DD so hopefully may have some useful feedback.

Before applying we made a table containing all the places she wanted to apply to with application deadline, entry / audition requirements, fees, funding routes (eg if eligible for a student loan etc), application route (eg direct, UCAS, CUCAS).

In terms of timing, the first time around when DD was in her final year of A-levels, she got her applications in early for all courses. The second time round DD applied later (after Christmas) to the institutions to whom a direct application is made. She also applied via UCAS nearer the deadline rather than straightaway. This was so she could get the most out of her Foundation course at Arts Ed before auditioning. She applied direct to Mountview (Arts was automatic as she was on the Foundation) and through CUCAS to Trinity Laban (they audition everyone during 2 weeks around the Feb half term) and through UCAS to GSA, Urdang, Bird, and Emil Dale. If I am remembering correctly, Emil Dale do things a bit differently and you can apply direct to audition there and then do the UCAS thing afterwards. She also applied to TBA but I can’t remember the route for that. Also be aware that for some of the institutions where you apply via UCAS, direct comms with extra info is also required eg dance pose photos for Bird.

There was a lot of auditioning and recalls from January through to April but it was worth it and DD learnt a lot from the auditioning process.

Lots of luck!
This is very helpful! Where did your daughter end up after her foundation at Arts Ed?

Felicity
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Felicity » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Dancemum1973 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm
Felicity wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am
Hi Daisy, I have been through this twice now with my DD so hopefully may have some useful feedback.

Before applying we made a table containing all the places she wanted to apply to with application deadline, entry / audition requirements, fees, funding routes (eg if eligible for a student loan etc), application route (eg direct, UCAS, CUCAS).

In terms of timing, the first time around when DD was in her final year of A-levels, she got her applications in early for all courses. The second time round DD applied later (after Christmas) to the institutions to whom a direct application is made. She also applied via UCAS nearer the deadline rather than straightaway. This was so she could get the most out of her Foundation course at Arts Ed before auditioning. She applied direct to Mountview (Arts was automatic as she was on the Foundation) and through CUCAS to Trinity Laban (they audition everyone during 2 weeks around the Feb half term) and through UCAS to GSA, Urdang, Bird, and Emil Dale. If I am remembering correctly, Emil Dale do things a bit differently and you can apply direct to audition there and then do the UCAS thing afterwards. She also applied to TBA but I can’t remember the route for that. Also be aware that for some of the institutions where you apply via UCAS, direct comms with extra info is also required eg dance pose photos for Bird.

There was a lot of auditioning and recalls from January through to April but it was worth it and DD learnt a lot from the auditioning process.

Lots of luck!
This is very helpful! Where did your daughter end up after her foundation at Arts Ed?
DD was lucky enough to get multiple offers but chose GSA (her dream school). She will be starting there in a couple of weeks and is very excited!

Dancermum70
Nominee
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancermum70 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm looking at all the different costs involved with BA degree compared to a foundation/gap year course. I understand there is no student loan for the course costs so this needs to be paid independently however how does it work with living costs can they claim housing benefit for example or has it just got to be funded by parents.

Also with the degree course at some of the London schools the cost is more than the student loan of either £9250 or some only receive £6000 towards the costs. The DADA is mentioned as well on some of the websites for the degree courses can they claim for these for the difference or are they on available to diploma students.

Does anyone know how the Bird reserve list works and how many they put on there, we knew of numerous people who were on it this year and only 1 who got a place.

Thanks :D :D

MygirlsloveMT
BRIT Award
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Dancermum70 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:36 pm
I'm looking at all the different costs involved with BA degree compared to a foundation/gap year course. I understand there is no student loan for the course costs so this needs to be paid independently however how does it work with living costs can they claim housing benefit for example or has it just got to be funded by parents.

Also with the degree course at some of the London schools the cost is more than the student loan of either £9250 or some only receive £6000 towards the costs. The DADA is mentioned as well on some of the websites for the degree courses can they claim for these for the difference or are they on available to diploma students.

Does anyone know how the Bird reserve list works and how many they put on there, we knew of numerous people who were on it this year and only 1 who got a place.

Thanks :D :D
My DD starts the Pre-Voc course on Monday so we are well educated on this now and unfortunately you can’t claim housing benefit anymore as it has changed to Universal Credit which very sneakily makes this exempt. If you can find a college in an area that hasn’t yet transferred to Universal Credit then you might be lucky but I think more or less everywhere has now.

The course fees are a minefield as you are right, some are fully covered, some charge £9250 but you can only claim £6000, some charge nearly £15k and you can only claim £6000/£9250, you really have to do your homework, we only let DD audition at the ones we knew we could afford to send her to so she wasn’t disappointed.

Not the best to ask about Bird reserve list as DD wasn’t on it but she has friends who were, one was told mid list and the other top middle, neither have been offered a place and a lot of people said it has hardly moved this year, no clue why, I don’t understand their list if I’m totally honest.

Good luck to your DC this year, we have it all to go through again but at least we have more of a clue as to what we are doing this year :D :D :D

2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by 2dancersmum » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Foundation courses - you are correct, these are not funded by student loan. Housing benefit used to be available to help with housing costs though a battle to actually get it if you read back through some of the previous threads on the subject. I do not know how this will be affected by 'universal credit' replacing some of the benefits, including housing benefit.

Degree courses - student loans available for both course and accommodation. Any shortfall between loan available usually needs to be paid by the student/family, although some institutions may have 'top up' grants you can apply for. Be aware that even the maximum accommodation loan is unlikely to fully cover accommodation and living costs - even for students not on performing arts courses and not in London so expect to have to contribute towards your childs expenses.

Diploma courses do not qualify for student loans - their funding is by DADA - an income assessed grant which is for course fees only. There is a separate part of it for accommodation for those on low incomes.

As far as I am aware you cannot get a student loan and a DADA for the same course - it is one or the other and depends on the course. DADAs are also limited in number and will not be offered to all those offered places on diploma courses.

Bird list is a mystery to me - they just seem to be so much later than everyone else.

Keep doing your research and good luck

Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Kingswayqueen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Dancermum70 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:36 pm
I'm looking at all the different costs involved with BA degree compared to a foundation/gap year course. I understand there is no student loan for the course costs so this needs to be paid independently however how does it work with living costs can they claim housing benefit for example or has it just got to be funded by parents.

Also with the degree course at some of the London schools the cost is more than the student loan of either £9250 or some only receive £6000 towards the costs. The DADA is mentioned as well on some of the websites for the degree courses can they claim for these for the difference or are they on available to diploma students.

Does anyone know how the Bird reserve list works and how many they put on there, we knew of numerous people who were on it this year and only 1 who got a place.

Thanks :D :D
Hi, my daughter is/was of those on the reserve list this time round - hardly moved at all this year :( , no idea how people are on the reserve, would be so interesting to know! With the BA degree funding, I'm sure you get the full £9,250 as a loan and then a loan for rent/living expenses etc - some people can get part of that as a grant, all depends on the income of the household. My daughter got the £9000 her course is costing this year, and a maintenance loan of £8,500 plus a £1,000 grant which is payable over the 3 terms. The maintenance loan is more if you're living in London, and less if you live at home. Sorry I can't answer much! x

MygirlsloveMT
BRIT Award
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:53 am

Be careful as some you can’t claim the full £9250 for, Arts Ed was one. I think their fees are around £14k a year and you can only claim around £6k a year which would leave a shortfall of around £8k to find yourself, hence why you need to do your homework, no point getting DC’s hopes up if they audition and get in somewhere then you find you can’t afford the fees, it’s hard enough for them as it is!

daisy1
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by daisy1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Oh my goodness, my head is going to explode! There is so much information and it seems so crazy that every single one is different in terms of application and funding! Can I ask those with more knowledge than me....with regard to UCAS and CUCAS, can you apply to five in each application, or five between the two? So far DD has started the UCAS application, applying to GSA musical theatre, The Hammond, Central, Chichester triple threat, and has put down GSA for acting, so that’s her five. She’s applying separately to Arts Ed, Mountview and MTA. We couldn’t find Emil Dale on the list of the UCAS universities/college, so assume that’s on the CUCAS site (we haven’t looked at that yet), and will possibly also apply to Urdang and Trinity. Does that seem too many? How many are others applying for? I’m fully aware (and slightly scared) of all the audition fees!

MygirlsloveMT
BRIT Award
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 pm

daisy1 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm
Oh my goodness, my head is going to explode! There is so much information and it seems so crazy that every single one is different in terms of application and funding! Can I ask those with more knowledge than me....with regard to UCAS and CUCAS, can you apply to five in each application, or five between the two? So far DD has started the UCAS application, applying to GSA musical theatre, The Hammond, Central, Chichester triple threat, and has put down GSA for acting, so that’s her five. She’s applying separately to Arts Ed, Mountview and MTA. We couldn’t find Emil Dale on the list of the UCAS universities/college, so assume that’s on the CUCAS site (we haven’t looked at that yet), and will possibly also apply to Urdang and Trinity. Does that seem too many? How many are others applying for? I’m fully aware (and slightly scared) of all the audition fees!
How many you audition for is personal preference as long as you can afford it. DD auditioned at Urdang, Bird and Performers and went to open days for these 3 plus Italia Conti. All in with travel costs, overnight stays, audition fees etc I would say it cost us around £1000. Auditions are also really stressful and tough (as you can imagine) so personally I wouldn’t put my DD through so many but if you think your DC can cope then the more they can do the more chances they will get.

We only did UCAS, Performers was direct so others may be too, so I have no knowledge of CUCAS unfortunately. Am sure someone on here will have though x

islandofsodor
BAFTA Award
Posts: 940
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by islandofsodor » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:52 pm

You apply to Emil Dale direct.
Everybody has the right to dream

Felicity
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Felicity » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:43 am

daisy1 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm
Oh my goodness, my head is going to explode! There is so much information and it seems so crazy that every single one is different in terms of application and funding! Can I ask those with more knowledge than me....with regard to UCAS and CUCAS, can you apply to five in each application, or five between the two? So far DD has started the UCAS application, applying to GSA musical theatre, The Hammond, Central, Chichester triple threat, and has put down GSA for acting, so that’s her five. She’s applying separately to Arts Ed, Mountview and MTA. We couldn’t find Emil Dale on the list of the UCAS universities/college, so assume that’s on the CUCAS site (we haven’t looked at that yet), and will possibly also apply to Urdang and Trinity. Does that seem too many? How many are others applying for? I’m fully aware (and slightly scared) of all the audition fees!
Hi Daisy, it is all quite mind boggling to begin with!
I am pretty sure Urdang was via UCAS. Emil Dale you apply direct and then if offered, it goes via UCAS. Last year the only establisment for MT whose application was via CUCAS was Trinity (to my knowledge). You can apply to both UCAS and CUCAS separately. Is your DD applying to GSA for both MT and acting BAs?

My DD auditioned extensively - Arts Ed, GSA, Mountview (although she cancelled her recall audition there as she already had a place at GSA), Emil Dale, Trinity, Urdang and TBA. She applied to Bird and PPA as well but ended up cancelling those auditions in the end. DD was doing a Foundation year so was able to commit more time to auditioning than the previous year when she had A-levels, so the number of applications needs to fit in with whatever else they are doing. Regarding number of auditions, remember to factor in recall auditions as well as juggling everything else (GSA, Mountview).

Post Reply