Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Disco_Dad
Nominee
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:51 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Disco_Dad » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:20 am

I do 7nderstand why a college would follow the 'reserve list' route and if it helps fill the maximum number of places then that is great but I fear it is starting to become part of the problem that is holding up the whole allocation process as well as causing issues for accommodation.

There appears to be lots of people on the Bird reserve list still and in theory they are only a few weeks away from the new academic year and many of them on the reserve list at Bird have got other offers which they have so far accepted but would likely Change if Bird offered which means either the Bird list stays static due to everyone remaining on it and/or if they offer places last minute it could have a big impact on last minute withdrawals of those students from other colleges.

With regard accommodation, again if students have accepted other courses whilst waiting to see if a place comes up at Bird , they may be having to place bonds/deposits etc that will end up being wasted money for them (or likely their parents) if they change colleges and then they or any student offered last minute places are going to struggle to get accomodation at the 11th hour.

I guess there is no perfect solution but I'm starting to think that the issues this late into the decision process are becoming a little unfair on those still waiting x

Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Kingswayqueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Disco_Dad wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:20 am
I do 7nderstand why a college would follow the 'reserve list' route and if it helps fill the maximum number of places then that is great but I fear it is starting to become part of the problem that is holding up the whole allocation process as well as causing issues for accommodation.

There appears to be lots of people on the Bird reserve list still and in theory they are only a few weeks away from the new academic year and many of them on the reserve list at Bird have got other offers which they have so far accepted but would likely Change if Bird offered which means either the Bird list stays static due to everyone remaining on it and/or if they offer places last minute it could have a big impact on last minute withdrawals of those students from other colleges.

With regard accommodation, again if students have accepted other courses whilst waiting to see if a place comes up at Bird , they may be having to place bonds/deposits etc that will end up being wasted money for them (or likely their parents) if they change colleges and then they or any student offered last minute places are going to struggle to get accomodation at the 11th hour.

I guess there is no perfect solution but I'm starting to think that the issues this late into the decision process are becoming a little unfair on those still waiting x
Hi, I completely agree, my daughter is on the Bird reserve list, but has now accepted her place at Arden. I have heard of some people who are offered Bird even after the term has started which must be awful - you'd have to decide whether to go, and if so, try and find accommodation! And then the other uni/college would have a space that they would have to try and fill. We have now had to sign up to a 44 week tenancy agreement, so if that happened and she decided to take up that place, we'd have a £7000 tenancy agreement to pay! I get they need reserve lists, but surely there should be a time frame that everything has to be decided by. I know they have to wait until results day, but surely a week after that is enough for people to slot into their places and for the colleges/universities to have their places filled. I thought it was bad enough waiting for my eldest daughter's A level results to get into her number 1 uni choice - this is a whole other level!

Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Newbe2018 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:52 am

Kingswayqueen wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Disco_Dad wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:20 am
I do 7nderstand why a college would follow the 'reserve list' route and if it helps fill the maximum number of places then that is great but I fear it is starting to become part of the problem that is holding up the whole allocation process as well as causing issues for accommodation.

There appears to be lots of people on the Bird reserve list still and in theory they are only a few weeks away from the new academic year and many of them on the reserve list at Bird have got other offers which they have so far accepted but would likely Change if Bird offered which means either the Bird list stays static due to everyone remaining on it and/or if they offer places last minute it could have a big impact on last minute withdrawals of those students from other colleges.

With regard accommodation, again if students have accepted other courses whilst waiting to see if a place comes up at Bird , they may be having to place bonds/deposits etc that will end up being wasted money for them (or likely their parents) if they change colleges and then they or any student offered last minute places are going to struggle to get accomodation at the 11th hour.

I guess there is no perfect solution but I'm starting to think that the issues this late into the decision process are becoming a little unfair on those still waiting x
Hi, I completely agree, my daughter is on the Bird reserve list, but has now accepted her place at Arden. I have heard of some people who are offered Bird even after the term has started which must be awful - you'd have to decide whether to go, and if so, try and find accommodation! And then the other uni/college would have a space that they would have to try and fill. We have now had to sign up to a 44 week tenancy agreement, so if that happened and she decided to take up that place, we'd have a £7000 tenancy agreement to pay! I get they need reserve lists, but surely there should be a time frame that everything has to be decided by. I know they have to wait until results day, but surely a week after that is enough for people to slot into their places and for the colleges/universities to have their places filled. I thought it was bad enough waiting for my eldest daughter's A level results to get into her number 1 uni choice - this is a whole other level!
I think this is a very valid point, I'm all for the reserve list, I believe everyone should be given the opportunity if there is a free space, but yes a week after results day would be a great idea for a cut off, it still gives time for accommodation searches if you are holding on to the last minute, and forces those to go with their options knowing no more offers will be made, as least people know where they stand x.

Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Kingswayqueen » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Just wondering if anyone had taken out medical insurance for their DD or DS whilst they’re at uni/college for Musical Theatre? Not even sure if there are policies for this, what they cover/cost etc! My DD starts in a few weeks time at MT college do just trying to think what she needs! Thanks in advance x

MygirlsloveMT
BRIT Award
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:01 am

Kingswayqueen wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm
Just wondering if anyone had taken out medical insurance for their DD or DS whilst they’re at uni/college for Musical Theatre? Not even sure if there are policies for this, what they cover/cost etc! My DD starts in a few weeks time at MT college do just trying to think what she needs! Thanks in advance x
We looked into this briefly as our DD starts the pre-voc at Performers in Sept and it was suggested. However, it seemed really expensive so we have currently decided just to go with the Physio payment through the college and hope for the best! I’ll therefore be following what others say as I think this area is yet another MT minefield!

2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by 2dancersmum » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:40 am

We had medical insurance for DD when she was at college - graduated 4 years ago. You do need research a bit and be prepared to make a few phone calls. My husband sorted it out - we had been advised to check in particular for policies that included physio and to check with physios close to her college/accommodation which insurance companies they accepted. DD was insured through AXA PP for her first 2 years (which included a claim, dealt with and paid promptly) and Aviva for her final year - change in policy was down to price and circumstances (namely age - DD went at 16 and a summer birthday and policies are done slightly differently for under 18s). The policies are almost like a basic modular package with optional add on modules - so physio was an add on but we removed some 'modules' that would have been irrelevant to her - hence the need for phoning a company and talking through what you do or don't want. If you use the search function there have been several threads on insurance which may help further.

kzgirl
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by kzgirl » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Kingswayqueen wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm
Just wondering if anyone had taken out medical insurance for their DD or DS whilst they’re at uni/college for Musical Theatre? Not even sure if there are policies for this, what they cover/cost etc! My DD starts in a few weeks time at MT college do just trying to think what she needs! Thanks in advance x
I have private medical insurance for our DD costs around £37 a month with Aviva.

lotsolaffs
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by lotsolaffs » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:03 am

Hi,can anyone tell me please what photos are required for Urdang?
Thank you

Littleone
BRIT Award
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:15 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Littleone » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am

Hi Lotsaloffs

I have a feeling that Urdang didn't require any photos in dance 'poses' maybe just a passport style photo ? I have looked back at the notes I made when DD applied last year and I have noted the photo requirements for various other colleges but nothing for Urdang !
hopefully someone will confirm for you or correct me if I'm wrong :D

Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Newbe2018 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:02 am

Littleone wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am
Hi Lotsaloffs

I have a feeling that Urdang didn't require any photos in dance 'poses' maybe just a passport style photo ? I have looked back at the notes I made when DD applied last year and I have noted the photo requirements for various other colleges but nothing for Urdang !
hopefully someone will confirm for you or correct me if I'm wrong :D
Not sure if things have changed, but I remember the online application requested photos uploaded in certain dance positions, one, arabesque, second a plie along with head shot...... I'm sure that was Urdang

icantdance
BRIT Award
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by icantdance » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:13 am

Hi, can anybody help me here. DS is 16 and has a place on the diploma at Bird, but he's having some wobbles. His wobbles aren't about not doing MT but worries about whether he'll make friends at 16 and whether he'll be left out when everybody else goes out. He's very sociable (and tall) and has mostly been mixing with 6th formers at his school (boys school with a mixed 6th form).

Does anybody have any experiences you can share of your 16 year old DCs and how they fared? Were any of them petrified but then it was fine once they were there? He'd be leaving home but living with Granny and Grandad - so not in approved lodgings. Thank you xx

Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Kingswayqueen » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:14 am

icantdance wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:13 am
Hi, can anybody help me here. DS is 16 and has a place on the diploma at Bird, but he's having some wobbles. His wobbles aren't about not doing MT but worries about whether he'll make friends at 16 and whether he'll be left out when everybody else goes out. He's very sociable (and tall) and has mostly been mixing with 6th formers at his school (boys school with a mixed 6th form).

Does anybody have any experiences you can share of your 16 year old DCs and how they fared? Were any of them petrified but then it was fine once they were there? He'd be leaving home but living with Granny and Grandad - so not in approved lodgings. Thank you xx
It must very scary but exciting to be moving away from home and starting at Bird. I have no experience whatsoever, but I would imagine he will have a wonderful time! There will be many more 16 year olds feeling just like your DS and being apprehensive but I bet once he gets there and is surrounded with people just like him who love dance and Musical Theatre he will be in his element! He will be surrounded with like minded people doing what he loves, it will probably be easier when he actually gets there, sometimes waiting for something is more nerve wracking than actually doing it. Wishing him all the very best! x

Munchpot
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Munchpot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 am

icantdance wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:13 am
Hi, can anybody help me here. DS is 16 and has a place on the diploma at Bird, but he's having some wobbles. His wobbles aren't about not doing MT but worries about whether he'll make friends at 16 and whether he'll be left out when everybody else goes out. He's very sociable (and tall) and has mostly been mixing with 6th formers at his school (boys school with a mixed 6th form).

Does anybody have any experiences you can share of your 16 year old DCs and how they fared? Were any of them petrified but then it was fine once they were there? He'd be leaving home but living with Granny and Grandad - so not in approved lodgings. Thank you xx
I'm sure your son will be fine. There will be times when some of the groups go to the pub, which he can still go to, although they are hot on ID in the Sidcup pubs, he just won't be able to drink alcohol. It seems that most get togethers happen at either Avery Flats or rented accommodation as, not only can everyone go but it's cheaper to buy drink from the local supermarkets than pay pub prices all the time

We've had 16 /17 year olds staying with us as Landlords and they haven't had any issues mixing and making friends. They are all doing something they love ad that will bond them quickly

I hope your DS has a great time

dancermum
Nominee
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by dancermum » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:59 am

icantdance wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:13 am
Hi, can anybody help me here. DS is 16 and has a place on the diploma at Bird, but he's having some wobbles. His wobbles aren't about not doing MT but worries about whether he'll make friends at 16 and whether he'll be left out when everybody else goes out. He's very sociable (and tall) and has mostly been mixing with 6th formers at his school (boys school with a mixed 6th form).

Does anybody have any experiences you can share of your 16 year old DCs and how they fared? Were any of them petrified but then it was fine once they were there? He'd be leaving home but living with Granny and Grandad - so not in approved lodgings. Thank you xx
My DD was 18 a week before she started her foundation year, not the same age as your DS, but I do remember how anxious we all were about her moving away from home at barely 18 and making friends. What I can tell you from our experience is that they bond so quickly and make friends so easily as they are all doing something they love. Our worries about her making friends very quickly disappeared! She flourished with the support of those friends and went on to secure a place on the degree course the following year. I just wanted to pop on and say from our experience making friends is the easy part for them and I am sure this will be the same for your DS.

icantdance
BRIT Award
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by icantdance » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Sadly DS has withdrawn from Bird after 4 weeks torturing himself because after his GCSE results he realised that however much he wants to do MT he just wasn't ready to leave home. He's only just told them so one lucky DC will get the call today!! Congratulations whoever you are. DS will be back auditioning in 2 years though, and Bird were really lovely about it!

Post Reply