Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jazzdancer
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by jazzdancer »

Thankyou for information about Bird Foundation & halls etc 😊 fingers crossed for anyone still waiting to hear
Soclose
BRIT Award

Post by Soclose »

Hi there, can I please ask anybody who has had their DD go through to the Bird degree from the reserve list, at what point did you hear this news?
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Soclose wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:48 am Hi there, can I please ask anybody who has had their DD go through to the Bird degree from the reserve list, at what point did you hear this news?
Hi Soclose, I read through the similar posts for September 2018 and 2017 which are on here. If you track the comments back you can find out rough timescales over the past couple of years. I wouldn't expect things to move at Bird till end of next week or the week after based on those. They make interesting reading anyway, and you can find out the latest dates that people heard as well. Good luck to your DD x
Soclose
BRIT Award

Post by Soclose »

icantdance wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:38 pm
Soclose wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:48 am Hi there, can I please ask anybody who has had their DD go through to the Bird degree from the reserve list, at what point did you hear this news?
Hi Soclose, I read through the similar posts for September 2018 and 2017 which are on here. If you track the comments back you can find out rough timescales over the past couple of years. I wouldn't expect things to move at Bird till end of next week or the week after based on those. They make interesting reading anyway, and you can find out the latest dates that people heard as well. Good luck to your DD x
Thank you, will take a look... this waiting is the worst xx
Flyingsaucer
Nominee

Post by Flyingsaucer »

Hi I am new to forum and auditioning and wondered if anyone has experience of comparing Chichester and Trinity Laban. My DC has been offered a place on the Chichester Triple Threat but also is on reserve for BA musical theatre at Trinity Laban (which means has a foundation offer). DC is really struggling to decide as they felt the facilities at Chichester were not good and also Chichester does not appear to have the alumni that end up working in West End.
Does anyone have any darlings that perhaps experienced the Trinity foundation and then went on to Chichester? Would better off getting Chichester training and then if the snobbery of a London school is needed do an MA later? How many at Chi end up getting agents etc Any advice please from mums who have been through this? (also any ideas how many on reserve get offers). Thx
joluth1
Nominee

Post by joluth1 »

Flyingsaucer wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:42 pm Hi I am new to forum and auditioning and wondered if anyone has experience of comparing Chichester and Trinity Laban. My DC has been offered a place on the Chichester Triple Threat but also is on reserve for BA musical theatre at Trinity Laban (which means has a foundation offer). DC is really struggling to decide as they felt the facilities at Chichester were not good and also Chichester does not appear to have the alumni that end up working in West End.
Does anyone have any darlings that perhaps experienced the Trinity foundation and then went on to Chichester? Would better off getting Chichester training and then if the snobbery of a London school is needed do an MA later? How many at Chi end up getting agents etc Any advice please from mums who have been through this? (also any ideas how many on reserve get offers). Thx
Hi my daughter is in the same boat. Chichester offer and reserve for Trinity Laban BA. I have been told there will be little movement at trinity this year from reserve as lots of offers are unconditional. She was offered foundation at east 15 for acting which is funded, but has opted for Chichester as MT is her love. We had done a lot of soul searching and decided she can do a MA if needed later it would count as a 4th year student loan and therefore have funding. I suggested she could audition again next year but she now wants to get on with it. From the research I have done lots of graduates get agents , some go into westend, lots to cruises etc but life is what you make it! My DS has just finished BA acting at Birmingham Conservatoire and not everyone has an agent yet. It is a precarious profession. He also did east 15 foundation and this helped him get into Birmingham but lots didn’t get anything post foundation. I may have raised more questions than answers :)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Flyingsaucer wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:42 pm Hi I am new to forum and auditioning and wondered if anyone has experience of comparing Chichester and Trinity Laban. My DC has been offered a place on the Chichester Triple Threat but also is on reserve for BA musical theatre at Trinity Laban (which means has a foundation offer). DC is really struggling to decide as they felt the facilities at Chichester were not good and also Chichester does not appear to have the alumni that end up working in West End.
I suppose it all comes down to whether dd is willing to audition again in a year if she does the foundation. My dds dream was Trinity and she had the foundation offer but a full degree offer at The Hammond. In the end she didn't want to risk auditions in a year again so took The Hammond place and is so so happy x She doesn't worry about money, working and puts all spare time into extra dance classes, theatre work etc. It has all worked out perfectly and this year's graduates have all got agents x
I check in on here alot and people are more successful after a foundation but not always and it's hard auditioning again and again x so I think that's where her decision needs to be x I'm so so glad dd chose to settle for a not so top school but I will always wonder x
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Marissa wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:48 am
I suppose it all comes down to whether dd is willing to audition again in a year if she does the foundation. My dds dream was Trinity and she had the foundation offer but a full degree offer at The Hammond. In the end she didn't want to risk auditions in a year again so took The Hammond place and is so so happy x She doesn't worry about money, working and puts all spare time into extra dance classes, theatre work etc. It has all worked out perfectly and this year's graduates have all got agents x
I check in on here alot and people are more successful after a foundation but not always and it's hard auditioning again and again x so I think that's where her decision needs to be x I'm so so glad dd chose to settle for a not so top school but I will always wonder x
Sometimes you just have to grab life by the balls and take the opportunities that come along. Life is far too short for 'what ifs'. Ultimately it was her decision and if she was happy then that's a good thing. Whatever happens, life is what you make it, and (although I am speaking from no position of authority whatsoever) I think it is about how you audition rather than where you went. Maybe she would have been 'better' if she went to a top school, maybe not …. but for girls it's much harder than boys. I'm really glad I have a boy - together with not having to pay for regular supplies of tights!! My own life has taken a somewhat circuitous route but I'm happy with where I am now, and I wouldn't be where I am now if I had made different choices when I was younger or if my life had been more straightforward. It's a bit of a minefield out there, and all we can do is negotiate it as best we can, pointing our DCs in the right direction, and hoping they don't step on any mines! xx
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Completely agree xx
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Hi, my DD was in a similarish position last year with BA offers from Chichester Triple Threat and PPA, a Foundation offer at Arts Ed and reserve for the Trinity BA (all MT). She didn’t get an offer off the Trinity Reserve and decided to do the Foundation at Arts Ed. This was the best decision for my DD as she had come straight from A-levels and needed to build skills. The course was intense but brilliant and without doubt helped her and others with the next round of auditions with some getting offers for the BA at ArtsEd, GSA, Mountview, Urdang etc. However there are a fair few on the Foundation who did not get any offers this year so there is no guarantee and it is a risk. Ultimately they have to do what they feel is right for them. Chichester is a great course from what I have heard with high contact hours. DD just didn’t feel it was for her.
If your DD is not able to make a decision yet I believe you can accept both as one is via UCAS and one via CUCAS. Then, if a place does come up from the Reserve at Trinity later, she can decide then. However a problem with taking a late offer would be securing accommodation.
Wishing you both luck wrestling with a decision!
Flyingsaucer
Nominee

Post by Flyingsaucer »

Thank you all for your advice.
It is the accommodation at Trinity Laban I am worried about delaying but I am sure she will find something even if it is Airbnb. We are inside M25 so probably would not get college accommodation anyway as TL allocate based on need not just on who applies early xx
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

Flyingsaucer wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:43 pm Thank you all for your advice.
It is the accommodation at Trinity Laban I am worried about delaying but I am sure she will find something even if it is Airbnb. We are inside M25 so probably would not get college accommodation anyway as TL allocate based on need not just on who applies early xx
We had this dilemma last year and I wish I could give you a definitive yes or no but I believe you have to go with your ‘gut’. Last year dd accepted a 3 year offer over a foundation but doubts surfaced and she changed her mind. In retrospect for her it was absolutely the right decision but I can’t pretend reauditioning was an easy process. For my dd the decision was slightly easier than others as she had no formal training and I genuinely think this has an impact, if they’ve been doing training around a’levels I think that extra year helps when they want to get where they really want to be. Good luck with your decision
Mumof3girls
BRIT Award

Post by Mumof3girls »

Hi , My dd was on the reserve list for ba two years ago , we called up first week of June to find out whereabouts she was on the list , Was told the top quarter and would more than likely get a place, a week later we got a call offering her a place ! Her friend has just done a foundation year at Bird and is now been told she’s on the reserve list , roughly half got yes’s ! A few straight no’s ! Also right up to the start of term in September places still become available . Good luck x
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

joluth1 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:38 am
Hi my daughter is in the same boat. Chichester offer and reserve for Trinity Laban BA. I have been told there will be little movement at trinity this year from reserve as lots of offers are unconditional. She was offered foundation at east 15 for acting which is funded, but has opted for Chichester as MT is her love. We had done a lot of soul searching and decided she can do a MA if needed later it would count as a 4th year student loan and therefore have funding. I suggested she could audition again next year but she now wants to get on with it. From the research I have done lots of graduates get agents , some go into westend, lots to cruises etc but life is what you make it! My DS has just finished BA acting at Birmingham Conservatoire and not everyone has an agent yet. It is a precarious profession. He also did east 15 foundation and this helped him get into Birmingham but lots didn’t get anything post foundation. I may have raised more questions than answers :)
I can only give you information on Chichester as my daughter has just completed her first year. The triple threat course is a very demanding course with around 35 hours a week contact time. The third years who have just graduated had their showcase this week in the Soho theatre London, over 75 agents were there. Some of the pupils had agents prior to the showcase. Chichester doesn’t appear to be considered as good as some of the other unis or colleges on this forum but it is as good and even better as some of the London colleges. We have also had experience of daughter attending college for the diploma. The facilities and experience and tours the students do at Chichester in my opinion is far greater than other places. Accommodation is easy to get in Bognor Regis and not all 1st years go down the option of going into halls. If your DC has been offered a place at Chichester I certainly wouldn’t be considering the audition route again as there is no guarantee the following year your DC will get a better offer.
Soclose
BRIT Award

Post by Soclose »

Mumof3girls wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:33 pm
Hi , My dd was on the reserve list for ba two years ago , we called up first week of June to find out whereabouts she was on the list , Was told the top quarter and would more than likely get a place, a week later we got a call offering her a place ! Her friend has just done a foundation year at Bird and is now been told she’s on the reserve list , roughly half got yes’s ! A few straight no’s ! Also right up to the start of term in September places still become available . Good luck x
Hi there,

Many thanks for this, I might give them a call towards the end of this week. It must be tough to complete a Foundation year and get a ‘No’ afterwards. Is your DD loving the degree? X