Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancemum1973
Nominee
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Dancemum1973 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Well it’s not really that far ahead when she will be applying later this year! And we are looking into options including open days and easter school at the minute. I have had a lovely email back from Arts Ed and if they get offered a place they can pick which to do (same course just pay a small fee to register it as degree) but then you can see which funding option suits you best. If that makes sense.
Didn’t realise all student loans were being looked at so thanks for that information.

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Scarytimes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Dancemum1973 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm
Well it’s not really that far ahead when she will be applying later this year! And we are looking into options including open days and easter school at the minute. I have had a lovely email back from Arts Ed and if they get offered a place they can pick which to do (same course just pay a small fee to register it as degree) but then you can see which funding option suits you best. If that makes sense.
Didn’t realise all student loans were being looked at so thanks for that information.
If you get an offer from Mountview they do the sums for you and advise you which route to take - well that's what they said in the parent's chat last year. Laine don't offer the degree (but do have it as a top up option in the third year) and GSA don't offer the diploma as they are integrated into the University of Surrey. When DS applied to Urdang, you were told after the first round which option they were considering you for - they run it as a tiered system offering different people different things depending on age, performance at audition etc. but I'm sure you could get back to them if you were recalled for the one you didn't want.

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Scarytimes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Fullmoon wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:08 am

Similar here! Updating calendars etc the other day made me think about the craziness (and worry!) we were all going through this time last year! I really empathise with those of you going through it now! Hang in there as, like others have said, these things do seem to work themselves out in the end.
Like Marissa, my DD didn’t end up where she “dreamed” of going, but I really do think fate stepped in to ensure she ended up where she did, even if it was a bit of a last minute curveball! She’s so happy and so settled I couldn’t imagine her anywhere else now....and she has even said she’s glad now that she didn’t get the offer that she ‘thought’ she wanted at the time! So, in our experience the right college definitely finds you! Good Luck x
Echoing everyone else, DS thought he knew what he wanted at the start, but didn't like it (and didn't get offered it) but now realises just how perfect his final destination is for him. That one he only applied to out of curiosity as everyone told him he wouldn't even get a recall, so you just never know.

I do feel for you all - it is a tough tough path to follow in the audition year(s) but if they are that determined, they have to give it a go and we are there to pick up the pieces when/if needed.

Dancemum1973
Nominee
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Dancemum1973 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Scarytimes wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm
Well it’s not really that far ahead when she will be applying later this year! And we are looking into options including open days and easter school at the minute. I have had a lovely email back from Arts Ed and if they get offered a place they can pick which to do (same course just pay a small fee to register it as degree) but then you can see which funding option suits you best. If that makes sense.
Didn’t realise all student loans were being looked at so thanks for that information.
If you get an offer from Mountview they do the sums for you and advise you which route to take - well that's what they said in the parent's chat last year. Laine don't offer the degree (but do have it as a top up option in the third year) and GSA don't offer the diploma as they are integrated into the University of Surrey. When DS applied to Urdang, you were told after the first round which option they were considering you for - they run it as a tiered system offering different people different things depending on age, performance at audition etc. but I'm sure you could get back to them if you were recalled for the one you didn't want.
Thanks for this! But I though Laine was a separate top up degree where you had to have experience in the industry?

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Scarytimes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Dancemum1973 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Thanks for this! But I though Laine was a separate top up degree where you had to have experience in the industry?
It did use to be, but at the pre-audition day last year they said they were going to offer it as an option within the third year for the first time for those applying in 2018. I presume they will follow this through.

To be honest, we came to the conclusion during the year that even with DaDA we would be struggling to afford the full London accommodation and maintenance, so luckily he was offered a few degree options. I know it is a loan not a grant, but the only option if you haven’t got a big chunk of money sadly.

Having said that, I’m sure if a diploma ended up as the favourite, we would have found the maintenance somehow. Lots of boys DS knows at Arts Ed and Mountview have had to try GoFundMe.

Dancemum1973
Nominee
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Dancemum1973 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Thanks. That’s interesting to know. Yes we have no
Idea how we are going to help her fund this hence trying to research the options thoroughly now. Good luck to everyone. I’m following with interest. I do hope she has a chance of getting in somewhere!

Newbe2018
BRIT Award
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Newbe2018 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm

afab wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:14 pm
Newbe2018 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:02 pm
afab wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:28 pm
So DD went to Birmingham Conservatoire today and got an email this afternoon saying she didn’t get a recall but seems to have been offered the foundation course if I understand the email right! It isn’t very clear... A phone call on Monday will be needed I believe... 🧐
Hi, this is possible, My DD was auditioning last year, not BC but Performers, she didn't get through to interview stage, only 4 were called back but later received a letter through the post offering her the foundation course. Not sure if this helps anyone. x
Thanks Newbe! It does. I did call BC today and yes, it is an offer! Wow! I didn't expect that at all, I was focused on BA courses, but DD being very young, a foundation sounds good...
That's amazing stuff, well done =D>

amo185
BRIT Award
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:20 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by amo185 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Laine do indeed already offer the degree option in the third year. Friend of DS gained his last summer at the end of his third year along with his diploma, whilst another friend gained hers at the same time but the year after she graduated (with the Diploma). They were part of the first cohort. You have to do a performance project as part of the course along with the three dissertations/essays. No idea how the funding works or whether you can get a loan or how you fit it all in. Ds's friend is an oversea's student so would not have been eligible for any funding. I'll see what else I can find out.

Dancemum1973
Nominee
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Dancemum1973 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 pm

amo185 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 pm
Laine do indeed already offer the degree option in the third year. Friend of DS gained his last summer at the end of his third year along with his diploma, whilst another friend gained hers at the same time but the year after she graduated (with the Diploma). They were part of the first cohort. You have to do a performance project as part of the course along with the three dissertations/essays. No idea how the funding works or whether you can get a loan or how you fit it all in. Ds's friend is an oversea's student so would not have been eligible for any funding. I'll see what else I can find out.
Ooooh yes please! X

2leftfeetmyself
Nominee
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by 2leftfeetmyself » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 am

With regard to Laine, I can confirm that from this year they do offer degree course and one where you can be awarded DADA as well. DD pal at dance is in her first year there, awarded a DADA and doing Degree.

itsalongshot
BRIT Award
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by itsalongshot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Dancemum1973 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am
Not sure if anyone can help or if this is the right place to post. DD will be auditioning for sept 20. I’m a bit confused by some of the funding and course options. Some of the colleges she looks like she would be better off applying for a diploma and some the degree. It’s a bit hard to tell which would give her more funding, obviously if she was lucky enough to be offered a place. Does anyone have experience of this? I emailed Arts Ed to ask about whether there is a possibility that if considered for the degree but getting a dada would be better and doing a diploma funding wise, can you be considered for both at audition as there DD could afford diploma but not degrrr. But they just copied and pasted information from their website about the two courses. Whereas somewhere like Bird she would do better trying for the degree. It’s so confusing!!
Hi
At arts ed they can have a dada, if offered, and then you can pay a top up at the start of the course to convert to the degree. I believe this to still be correct. It is a fab school. Mines in 2 nd year now and loves it.

kzgirl
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by kzgirl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:17 pm

2leftfeetmyself wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 am
With regard to Laine, I can confirm that from this year they do offer degree course and one where you can be awarded DADA as well. DD pal at dance is in her first year there, awarded a DADA and doing Degree.
I was just wondering how this works, a degree course is normally financed by student finance not a DaDa, is your DD pal doing the Diploma and paying to convert to the degree as an extra?

islandofsodor
BAFTA Award
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by islandofsodor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:37 pm

To get a Dada you HAVE to be enrolled onto the L6 Trinity Diploma. That is the government's rules, not the college.

I can still only find details onf the Laine top up degree on their website but it is possible that they are offering for students to pay for the top up alongside.

With regards to the colleges who charge extras. I guess they feel this is the only way they can offer what is required. The average diploma fees are between £12-18,000 wheras the limit for a degree is £9,000. They can offer a heck of a lot more contact hours and otehr extras for the extra income they get for the diploma than where they have to spread the £9k out.
Everybody has the right to dream

Tiredmumofthree
Nominee
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Tiredmumofthree » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi all, does anyone have any experience of the East 15 wait list? How many people tend to get offered a place? Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

becmum
BRIT Award
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:35 am

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by becmum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:43 am

Dogcop wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:39 am
For anybody starting at Bird this September-Ds in final year and has lived with the most incredible host family for the whole 3 years. He was only 16 when he started and they have cared for him so well. Really great location too. PM if you would like details. Ds will be sad to leave them
My Dd has accepted a place on the diploma at Bird for Sept 2019. We will hopefully be looking for landlady accommodation as only 16 in April. I imagine they send out a list at some point, we are just waiting for confirmation of funding so keeping everything crossed, hoping as she received the offer straight away it’s a good sign🤞. If you could send me any info on the place your son is at or any suggestions that would be great thankyou 🤗

Post Reply