Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby DanceDiva » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Anyone at the Bodyworks auditions today ?

User avatar
oscar
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:44 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby oscar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Marissa wrote:Scary isn't it x DD has her 5th audition this week at Trinity Laban x She doesn't feel she has a chance but she's just going to go and enjoy it and sparkle as much as she can x Goodluck x


They often ask auditionees to do a written test so prepare her for that. They played a piece of music from Parade and asked questions around that. Good luck

Robin64
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Robin64 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Dds friend went to an artsed audition yesterday and they only recalled boys.

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Live_thedream » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Robin64 wrote:Dds friend went to an artsed audition yesterday and they only recalled boys.


Really?! My DS got a recall. He said out of his group of 30 or so boys about 7 were called back but more girls today.

He said the audition process this year was better, found them more involved and friendlier. He was asked to sing his song in different ways which makes a change from 'you have 1 min to sing your song'.

klchaplin1980
BRIT Award
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby klchaplin1980 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 pm

DanceDiva wrote:Anyone at the Bodyworks auditions today ?


My daughter was there.

Marissa
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Marissa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm

oscar wrote:
Marissa wrote:Scary isn't it x DD has her 5th audition this week at Trinity Laban x She doesn't feel she has a chance but she's just going to go and enjoy it and sparkle as much as she can x Goodluck x


They often ask auditionees to do a written test so prepare her for that. They played a piece of music from Parade and asked questions around that. Good luck

Thankyou so much. Xxx Goodluck to yours too if this was a recent audition x

User avatar
oscar
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:44 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby oscar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 am

Thank you , but he is graduating from somewhere else this year.

chivers61
BRIT Award
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby chivers61 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 am

Live_thedream wrote:
Robin64 wrote:Dds friend went to an artsed audition yesterday and they only recalled boys.


Really?! My DS got a recall. He said out of his group of 30 or so boys about 7 were called back but more girls today.

He said the audition process this year was better, found them more involved and friendlier. He was asked to sing his song in different ways which makes a change from 'you have 1 min to sing your song'.


Well done to DS. Good to hear they're more involved and friendlier. That said it's from a low base. DC auditioned there and had been warned they were not very nice and they didn't disappoint. They've had that reputation for some time now. Hopefully they've realised it really isn't necessary or acceptable.

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Live_thedream » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:20 am

chivers61 wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:
Robin64 wrote:Dds friend went to an artsed audition yesterday and they only recalled boys.


Really?! My DS got a recall. He said out of his group of 30 or so boys about 7 were called back but more girls today.

He said the audition process this year was better, found them more involved and friendlier. He was asked to sing his song in different ways which makes a change from 'you have 1 min to sing your song'.


Well done to DS. Good to hear they're more involved and friendlier. That said it's from a low base. DC auditioned there and had been warned they were not very nice and they didn't disappoint. They've had that reputation for some time now. Hopefully they've realised it really isn't necessary or acceptable.


I get that, DS did not feel right last year and didn't think it was the place for him, so was pleasantly surprised this year. They have had a new principal this year - would that make the difference?

Sherbert
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Sherbert » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 am

My DS went for his audition at Arts Ed yesterday - he didn't get through to the afternoon... :cry:
Its heart-breaking but of course the show must go on...he did say they were a lot friendlier than last year but there is a certain 'type' they seem to go for - he's obviously not their type! :lol:
He's currently on the MT Foundation at Mountview (and absolutely loving every minute of it) and his audition there is next week, then Trinity...
My heart is in my mouth for him
Good luck to everyone O:)

Sherbert
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Sherbert » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am

PS: Massive congrats to your DS Live_thedream on his recall from Arts Ed - I remember your posts from last year - I'm rooting for him \:D/

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Live_thedream » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Sherbert wrote:My DS went for his audition at Arts Ed yesterday - he didn't get through to the afternoon... :cry:
Its heart-breaking but of course the show must go on...he did say they were a lot friendlier than last year but there is a certain 'type' they seem to go for - he's obviously not their type! :lol:
He's currently on the MT Foundation at Mountview (and absolutely loving every minute of it) and his audition there is next week, then Trinity...
My heart is in my mouth for him
Good luck to everyone O:)


Re Arts Ed - sorry your DS didn't get recall, funny you say that about 'type' I've heard the same and my DS certainly didn't think he was their 'type' so was quite shocked. I had heard, they like the 'athletic' type. But it goes back to that argument again, are they looking for something specific (eg number of red heads, brunettes, dark skin, light skin etc) and are working to that criteria? Who knows, I don't understand it. He hasn't heard any more yet and is feeling very nervous - he's compared notes with his friend who did get in and as their stage 2s went differently, he now is not so hopeful. But as said earlier, we need to celebrate every success - this industry is a tough one and as you said the show must go on.

Your DS did well to get a foundation last year. My DS too has his audition next week at Mountview on Friday, which day is your DS going?

Also thank you for your wishes, same from me too - It's good to hear other people's good news, we all know how it feels.

User avatar
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Caroline A-C » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 pm

I really would try to resist the temptation to compare auditions with friends as it really is not an indication as to whether you somebody has got in or not. Arts Ed are quite quick about getting letters out - it was exactly a week from when my DS auditioned to the arrival of his offer. I know that was a few years ago but I am sure things haven't changed. Fingers crossed for your DS.
All new to me!

scottishdancer00
BRIT Award
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby scottishdancer00 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Dd just completed a local college audition and she (as well as myself from what she has told me) are horrified by the standard of what we had deemed to be a very financially possible and sensible option . The day started with dance . Dd isn’t a dancer but says she was the only person there able to complete the basic routine as the other auditionees were making mistakes then laughing and stopping dancing. During the singing warm up the only other person singing out was the teacher. When she went in to do her solos with sheet music all prepared ( there was no request for a backing track ) she was informed no one could play the piano so she had to perform with a karaoke version on the teachers phone . It’s only 3 days a week and I’m starting to think going there would be pointless for Dd because I don’t feel she would learn much. However the next day she had an SLP college auditing and found the standard of dance TOUGH so I do know that she needs a year somewhere to build her skills before auditioning for the bigger places

Sherbert
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 am

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Postby Sherbert » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Live_thedream wrote:
Sherbert wrote:My DS went for his audition at Arts Ed yesterday - he didn't get through to the afternoon... :cry:
Its heart-breaking but of course the show must go on...he did say they were a lot friendlier than last year but there is a certain 'type' they seem to go for - he's obviously not their type! :lol:
He's currently on the MT Foundation at Mountview (and absolutely loving every minute of it) and his audition there is next week, then Trinity...
My heart is in my mouth for him
Good luck to everyone O:)


Re Arts Ed - sorry your DS didn't get recall, funny you say that about 'type' I've heard the same and my DS certainly didn't think he was their 'type' so was quite shocked. I had heard, they like the 'athletic' type. But it goes back to that argument again, are they looking for something specific (eg number of red heads, brunettes, dark skin, light skin etc) and are working to that criteria? Who knows, I don't understand it. He hasn't heard any more yet and is feeling very nervous - he's compared notes with his friend who did get in and as their stage 2s went differently, he now is not so hopeful. But as said earlier, we need to celebrate every success - this industry is a tough one and as you said the show must go on.

Your DS did well to get a foundation last year. My DS too has his audition next week at Mountview on Friday, which day is your DS going?

Also thank you for your wishes, same from me too - It's good to hear other people's good news, we all know how it feels.




The current 'Foundies' as they call them (my DS is so impressed with all the lingo I've learnt :lol: ) are auditioning for the BA next Tues (20th) and my DS is really hoping to stay with Mountview - they are moving from Wood Green to Peckham for 2018 intake (apparently its almost built and ready to go) so we'll see how it goes. As you know though its no dead cert as 2 of his friends from Mountview foundation last year didn't get a BA place this year...anywhere :shock:

Then we've got Trinity on Wed 21st - and that's it - all done :-k que sera, sera


Return to “Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dancemum22 and 8 guests