Answering audition questions

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Answering audition questions

Post by rebeccaM »

My DD is right in the middle of Drama School auditions now - I am trying to support her as best I can. The question that comes up, obviously, all the time is: Why are you applying to XYZ? My question to anyone who can help - is this specific to their School? Do they want to know why you want to go their over and above Central, for example - without obviously naming another school in the answer. It is so hard to actually explain why you are applying, as for my DD, the answer is the same to all the places she has applied - the expert training, the skills, the other students, the stimulating environment, the performance opportunities, preparing for the profession, learning...is this too general? Thoughts welcome - thank you xx
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Re: Answering audition questions

Post by nextinline »

First of all good luck to your dd rebeccaM. My ds is also applying this year so I understand what you are saying. It is also difficult as many places do not let you onto their sites before audition day so it is only after you have visited that you can really give an informed opinion as to whether it is right for you or not.
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

Good luck to your DS nextinline - let us know how you get on.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Not much help I'm afraid, my instinct is that they're looking for enthusiasm and commitment and are surely aware that they have to apply to many. DD did look at some audition blogs for information/inspiration about questions, that may help, although as far as I can see from skimming a few blogs no one seems to get in! ](*,) :shock:
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Thanks for the good wishes. He has done two auditions already and has more set up. If I am honest I think each place has their own ideal of what they are looking for, most of the students applying are talented enough to win a place and so it comes down to luck a lot of the time. They are seeing such huge numbers of people and there is such a short time to make your mark that it must come down to what they are looking for. Not sure that all places are as honest as they could be with their information on their websites. With only 5 UCAS courses to apply for you want to make them count so it would help if for example a course said that they wanted dance exams or they want them to have had two or three years life experience. What comes up time and again is age as a lot of the places seem to want you to have a degree first. If they don't want an 18 year old straight from school it would be good if they said upfront and you saved a choice. In saying that the experiences my ds has had already have been invaluable and interesting so whatever happens at audition you are learning something. Good luck to everybody else auditioning this year.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

It's interesting about the degree first issue. DD did a Summer school at RADA and the course leader said that they would no longer take anyone for the BA Hons with a previous degree because of funding issues. I wonder whether that will change things? Maybe more colleges will introduce 2 year post-grads like LAMDA?
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

It is possible to get in straight from school ... my DD did! She is now in her final year at drama school. However, she does feel that being one of the very youngest on the course is sometimes a disadvantage and in some ways wishes she hadn't got in during her first year of applying! I think she feels many of her tutors take the older ones more seriously ... it's such a tricky balance! Good luck to everyone auditioning this year ... I remember the stress very well and personally was very relieved when we didn't have to go through it all again!
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Well Done to your DD sapphire. \:D/ She did very well indeed especially as there are more girls than boys trying out for places. I wish her all the best as she graduates.

You make some very interesting comments about the balance. Not all 18 year olds are the same and some have quite wide life experience.

One of the places my ds has been to so far that wanted him to do a degree first told him that other places would bite his hand off. Perhaps it is a case of finding the perfect fit for each person. Also often it seems they are offered foundation years to start with but not everyone can afford this route. It remains to be seen whether he gets any other offers this time around. I am a great believer in a pathway making its way known to you.

Is your dd excited about graduating this year? My eldest ds is graduating from Uni too but he is not a performer and intends to stay in academia through to PHd.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Not heard about needing a degree to get into these places before. My DS went straight from sixth form college and graduated this summer. When he auditioned three years ago it was very much to do with how you performed on the day. When he got through to the recall stage and was interviewed he said that knowing your stuff was important. He knows of some people who when asked what their favourite show was were then asked what they thought about the new choreographer which really stumped people as obviously they weren't expecting that sort of question. Having also seen the shows at the colleges he was interested in, he was able to bring that into the interview which was beneficial. Good luck to all your DC's - I can remember this process so clearly.
All new to me!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

I'm not sure if it's more the straight acting courses (RADA, LAMDA. BOV, Guildhall) that look for life experience, for musical theatre I'd have thought youth and fitness would be desirable!
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

It's also this total lack of feedback which is so unhelpful - how can you grow? At least Guildhall say if they want you to change a speech for next time - you've got some where to go. My DD's drama tutor made a really good comment I thought - he said when you go for auditions (for a part in the real world), the director or casting director make decisions, you may get a recall, you might not, but they can tell pretty much within 30 seconds if you are right for the part. My question then why is it Drama Schools have so many rounds - the process is nerve-wrackingly gruelling - can't they tell after 2x 2 min monologues whether you are right for their school or not? I feel for my daughter at the moment.
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

rebeccaM I know how you feel. My ds has had varying experiences regarding feedback. All I know is that if they at least acknowledge you, even if it is a no it is still a positive experience. Most kids understand that there are just so many people that it isn't personal so a few words here or there are very helpful. My ds has now had 3 auditions and positive feedback in two of them. Doesn't know yet whether he is through to next stage or not. Whatever happens he enjoyed the ones with feedback. The other was good experience but he didn't feel he learnt as much. I wish your dd the very best of luck in the audition rounds this year :D :D
hayleymcq
Nominee

Post by hayleymcq »

hi guys! audition for central tomorrow so just have a last minute panic question. what does it mean when they say 'arranged for easy use by the pianist?? thanks x
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

I think it means taped together and marked...check out youtube for instruction videos, my DDs know how to do it but I'm clueless!
hayleymcq
Nominee

Post by hayleymcq »

Oh sugar.... I have no tape. Im im london on my own over from northern ireland with no mum to help me lol. Do have a glue stick tho wonder if i could make that work.