Is there a compacted 1 yr BTEC in Performing Arts anywhere?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Is there a compacted 1 yr BTEC in Performing Arts anywhere?

Post by Katymac »

I have been asked if there is a compacted 1 year extended level3 in Performing Arts or Dance running anywhere; is there?

(Why does everyone think I know this stuff?)
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Re: Is there a compacted 1 yr BTEC in Performing Arts anywhe

Post by carriecrafts »

Haha Katymac :lol:

I've never heard of a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma being compacted into 1 year... that would be incredibly intense as it's worth 3 A Levels. DD is soon finishing hers which has been 4 days per week 8.45am to 5.30pm for 2 years.

I'd highly recommend DD's college though if anyone wants a free 2 year performing arts course. http://www.academyfortheatrearts.co.uk
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

It used to be possible for a centre to deliver a BTEC in extended or compressed form, but it was discouraged because there just wouldn't be time to develop skills, then use them for real. However, it was allowed - but viewed as crazy. Now, it won't work, because the system has changed for Level 2 and Level 3 falls in line from this September. All assignments need advance scrutiny from BTEC, and there is external testing. As very little gets done in the first portion of the delivery period, grade earning stuff comes towards the end, and it would be virtually impossible to deliver all the units and have them ALL (which is the new system) externally scrutinised and the teachers assessment checked in a year. I suppose it could be done, but my friends who are working through the first year of Level 2 on the new system (I've given it all up) at BTEC report that many centres even at this late stage in the year (it's a one year course for most places) have no work completed yet!

I suppose the other snag is funding - if you run an entire programme in half the usual time, the costs go right up, and you'd have a course that only the real high flyers could manage. Could you actually find an entire cohort of Distinction type kids, every year? BTEC provides limited (it used to be plentiful) chances to retake grades, so attempting a short version could severely mess up their league table result!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I will report back

Thanks