Dance types

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Dance types

Post by lotsolaffs »

Please...someone help me!
My daughter does tap,modern and ballet and flex and stretch.She is 12,grade 3.
Loves ballet,loves modern not keen on tap.Her dance school is small but very good and run by 3 professional teachers who have had excellent training and have had West End performance experience etc.
They have just introduced jazz and contemporary.
Does she need to do those too?
Isn't modern the same thing? She can't do everything purely as I can't afford it and it is all spread over 3 evenings.
I'd be interested in what has been the most useful to others or maybe those who think they shouldn't have given up one discipline?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Re: Dance types

Post by Katymac »

There was a whole thread on this on Balletcoforum I think - if I get time later I'll have a look and post the link
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php? ... ern-dance/

Have a look at this - I think it's quite good
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

That link was really useful Katymac, thanks!! We are in Spain at the moment and DD is in the dance conservatory, which is 17 hours a week divided into Flamenco, Spanish dance, Ballet and Contemporary but we also need to fit some tap and jazz/modern in at some point (they seem to call it 'funky' here). Tap should be easy to pick up due to footwork in flamenco but jazz/modern as well? Not enough hours in the week!!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Spain? How exciting

dd has an offer from the Institute for the Arts in Barcelona - but no funding so she can't go :(

Good luck - so many classes - DD was doing about 18hrs a week last year!!
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

Lotsolaffs, if she's not all that keen on tap, she might prefer to give that up and do contemporary instead - and maybe switch to jazz instead of modern. How old is she? Is she thinking of a possible career in dance/musical theatre at some point in the future?
Danceandsing
BRIT Award

Post by Danceandsing »

Hi I would persevere with tap, my DD is at vocational college and it is definitely still a discipline that is assessed and affects final grades (in degree) I love tap, keep going! X
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Tap is a discipline that is assessed but personally I would still drop it if your DD cannot do everything, especially if she is not as keen. My DD had never done tap before she started vocational college but she is at a level where she could tap dance professionally when she graduates this summer. If you have some tap experience already I think it would be even easier to pick up.
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

It very much depends on the vocational school/college whether there is tap in the particular course you are doing. The ballet/dance courses tend not to have tap in the syllabus, but places that offer more all-round training probably will.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thank you all,thank you for the link too.Very interesting.
We have the chance to try it free for 6 weeks so we will see how it goes.Meanwhile I am perfecting my paradiddles...