Ballet/tap classes for 12 year old boy

Moderator: busybusybusy

Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Ballet/tap classes for 12 year old boy

Post by Trundlemum »

Hi, I'm looking to get ballet and tap classes for my 12 year old son. He's been in professional panto for the last two years and has successfully had to learn some very tough routines without any formal training. I'm thinking he may well be a natural and bearing in mind he sings and acts, and his life plan is to perform, I'm thinking some formal training sooner rather than later would be sensible. We live on the Herts/essex border and I was hoping someone may be able to recommend a class or teacher locally relevant to his experience and age? Thanks. X
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: Ballet/tap classes for 12 year old boy

Post by TalyaB »

I know Louise Sheaves has classes just for boys in Harpenden, though might be too far: http://www.louisesheavesschoolofdance.co.uk/ We haven't tried them though.
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

Again, may be too far for you but http://www.hothousedance.co.uk in Hitchin, Herts is starting ballet for boys in January. Damian who runs Hot House is a fantastic teacher.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Try asking on www.ballet.com under the forum 'doing dance' .
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

It's not a weekly thing but RAD does boys only "days of dance" around the country which could be worth thinking about for fun.
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

They definitely do the boys say of dance at Tring Park.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Just out of interest - why are we talking boys only classes? My DS went up to grade 3 tap and ballet in a mixed class quite happily. After that, I do think they need a male teacher but for the basics most good teachers are fine surely? Go see the school, meet the teacher, fine out if there are any other boys in the school, what experience they've had of teaching boys etc. Believe me, you don't want a 3 hour round trip just for a boys only class until you at least know he likes it!
Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Post by Trundlemum »

Thanks for all suggestions so far. I'm not particularly looking for boy only classes, I'm just assuming that generally beginners are 4-5 year old girls and that wouldn't be a good setting for him. Maybe one to one classes are the way to start off. Any recommendations for ballet teachers local to the herts/essex border?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I would suggest that you look on the websites of RAD and ISTD under their find a registered teacher pages. that will give you some names and contacts for classes close to you so you can have a chat and see what would be the best fit for your son. RAD is perhaps the best known of the ballet exam boards but do not offer tap - though most schools will teach a variety of styles with different syllabus so do not be put off contacting a RAD teacher. ISTD offer both ballet and tap. There are many others out there IDTA, BBO to name a couple but these are not ones I have experience of.

http://www.rad.org.uk/learn-to-dance/fi ... ad-teacher
http://www.istd.org/about-us/looking-fo ... e-teacher/

As has already been suggested, I would check out the balletcoforum website aswell.

People have suggested boys only classes. If he is keen once he gets started, it would be a good idea. I have no idea what grade the teacher will start him off at but the exercises/dances for boys are different as you go up through the grades and it would be good for him to be able to dance and practice with boys his own age.

As well as the workshops/schemes like - days of dance and Tring that people have suggested, there is a boys ballet school in London - called something like 'The London Boys Ballet School' that might be worth looking into. I have girls so no personal experience. But I would suggest starting off locally to see how he gets on first.
Ands
BRIT Award

Post by Ands »

My DS started ballet at age 9 and went straight into a Grade 4 class, mainly since there was another boy in there and girls he knew. He took a handful of private lessons as well to get him up to speed. The other boy left not long after but DS carried on and moved up to Grade 5 with the others and loves the fact he is surrounded by the girls!! He also does jazz and hip hop both of these classes he's been joined by more boys.
Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Post by Trundlemum »

Thanks all for your help and advice, DS started ballet last week, one to one lessons to start with to get him hopefully up to a higher level speedily, and group tap classes. He's loving both!