Street dance

Moderator: busybusybusy

lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Street dance

Post by lollypop »

Hi all, wondering if anyone could share their experiences and thoughts. DS is loving his street dance but our local dance school only does 1 hour a week, so if he wanted to get a bit more serious how do you "train" for street dance? I can't see any grades like ballet or anything. He is only 9 so I'm not looking for a master class, but I wondered if there maybe was something that I am missing eg that teaches the specific moves like "locking and popping" in a structured way. Or is that not how street dance works!! Thanks, as always
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Street dance

Post by riverdancefan »

My DS when he was younger went to krumping, popping and locking classes at Pineapple
Joining a street team is also helpful

The street summer school at Pineapple is excellent as is the Zoo Nation lessons. Working with different choreos is great experience.

I think street exams ( there are some around ) are totally worthless and a waste of money.... Don't ever bother

Hth

RDF
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Thanks RDF - both of those look brilliant. Also for the PMs folks. Much appreciated :)
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Both my DCs used to do a lot of street dance and in my experience the most creative, inspiring and enthusiastic teachers weren't necessarily those within the traditional dance schools. It might be worth finding out if there's anything else in your area - as soon as we moved away from the dance-school setting we found there was an amazing world of competitions, events and collaborative work that just didn't seem to register on the dance school's radar, where in retrospect I'd say they were offering street dance because they felt obliged to rather than because their heart was really in it.
supamum
BAFTA Award

Post by supamum »

Not sure where you live but DD attends a great street dance class they take part in competitions they have also started break dance classes as well. If you happen to live anywhere near north London look it up. http://www.monstersdancecompany.com/
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Lollypop, get F to come and join M in his boys only street dance class - it's not that far....... :shock:
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Livvyvicky that would be fun! If you PM me details I will look at logistics x
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Just to update, we are going to do a trial at ZooNation. It's a bit of a trek from home but sounds amazing. Classes all seem to have waiting lists so if he likes it we will need to see how long they are.